Stuff to put in 1.09

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about a bouncy falling sector? Or a bouncy sector that retains the height of the first bounce, so that you keep bouncing and never stop? Also, how about a syncronised platform bobbing tag? It'd be useful for making boats. i.e, so that the mast bobs along with the boat instead of floating in the air.

How about... The ability for a player to load a WAD to a server hosted by somebody else? The server can make an option to disallow new WADs, of course. The options would be "Always", "Prompt", and "Never". With "Prompt", The server would see the name of the WAD, and press either Y or N to allow, or disallow it. The game would pause through this, so the server can still talk to the joiner, and the people who already joined, and see if the joiners don't mind it.
If the server sets it to "Never", or presses N on "Prompt", the joining player will be booted form the server with a popup saying "The server is not approving a WAD you have. Please try again without any WADs"

What do you think? Will it be possible?

It would require the user being able to upload to the server if necessary, which complicates things. The solution here is if you want a wad loaded to work it out with the person hosting. In 1.1, the server will be able to load wads ingame, as well, so you can join without them, and, once in, request they be added.

You would know, Zash... You've been in plenty of netgames in which Senku would load wads without telling you and use them to consistency fail you. :roll:

yeah, i HATE that, it would work for all netgame though, it would reqire a bit of time though

The ability to set the (LOL! funny acronym!)SDURF's jumping height by what direction it's facing?
Y'know... like the fans? It's not like the direction the fish are facing matters. :roll:
I think this is an SRB2 Doom editor config file suggestion, but I don't know where else to put it. :?

EDIT: Second idea, next day: How about... Secondary color changing?
Like... You could also change the color of Sonic's shoes, or the white part of Tails fur. This will also help with individuality in CTF matches, 'Cus the primary color would be your team color, but your secondary color you can pick! So people can identify you from those other 3 red Sonics in the team. :roll:

EDIT 2: Third idea, a few hours later: Those round things that go 'PONG!' and forces you back when you touch them. The ones with the start on 'em? Can't really have a Sonic game without 'em, can ya?

Sorry if any of these were repeated.

Your right. You can't have a sonic game without bumpers. I second that idea.

I would make bumpers but I dunno how. And for the secondary color, I've been trying to make it the inverse of the primary color. Like, red would make the secondary color green. Too bad I've failed on both attempts. :lol:

a441 said:
It's called a bot. Doom Legacy has them. The consensus is it would be too difficult to design a decent bot for a 3D platform adventure game like SRB2. To my knowledge, no commercial games of the genre have bots.

I dunno about that. While for actual singleplayer play (co-op and such) I dunno how well that'd work, but deathmatch bots that can run and jump and suchlike have been a part of Unreal since UT99. Quake, too. Bots know how to jump across platforms, etc.

It's actually not that hard, in theory. The basic idea is that most bots run off of "nodes". But, not nodes in the SRB2 sense - most bots for, say, Half-Life Deathmatch, require you to place down a "bot node" so the bots know where to walk. When the Bot gets to a node, he chooses the next one in line, and walks to it. This is how you create bot node paths, and these lead throughout the entire level. This is a quick and simple way for a bot to navigate a level successfully, and 90% of bots out there use this system.

For SRB2, a game that requires more platforming than normal, I suppose the easiest route would to be to develop a type of bot node that "attached" to the ground. This would mean for objects like floating platforms, the node always is "stuck" to the floor of the platform. (which means it would only activate as "navigatable" if the platform was within jumping range)

Additionally, you would have to calculate floor height for a few units ahead of the bot, simply just to detect "if jumpable". If the bot detects "Floor, Cliff, Platform", he would know to jump in order to navigate to the extra node. He would also have to have a memory of the last two or three nodes visited, so he wouldn't end up pacing back and forth between the same two nodes.

Arguably, the Legacy and Zdoom bots are retarded because it sounds as if they do not infact run off of nodes - it sounds more to me like they navigate the level strictly on the premise of "find a wall and turn to avoid it", which, as seen, causes lots of problems.

I can already hear somebody saying, "That's too difficult."

I think there's some way you could work that with Linedefs...
You'd set a linedef to bot path, and it woulden't make any walls, or anything. It'd just be a simple bot path. And you'd place the nodes at the vertexes with objectplace mode, so you'd be able to set the height.
And there'd be diffrent types of paths. One-way paths, Which are self-explainatory. Panic paths, which the bot will only follow if he is chasing a player, or running from a player. Like, if it's on a platform, he'd jump off to a floor below. Charecter-set paths, which the bot will only follow if he's a certain charecter. And jump paths, which the bot will jump, and if it's a long jump, He will use the charecter's skill to get across, like Tails' flying ability. And mistake paths, Which the bot will have a 5% chance of following, and emulating when a player makes a mistake, So he'd like, veer into a death pit, or miss a platform. The percentage would increase to 10% if he's in panic mode.
This'd require a lot of rewriting the config file for SRB2, though...

Unreal Tournament 2004's stages are complex enough to require some complex jumping. I'm not saying that it's a good idea to add it, but it is more than possible to create a bot capable of navigating SRB2 stages effectively given enough time, effort, and in UT2K4's case, a large budget. Obviously, that's not possible around here.

I personally wouldn't mind stupid bots similar to Legacy's. Provided they can aim, they could be rather fun in simplistic stages. Using waypoints it would be more than possible to make them capable of navigating more complex stages as well. However, I certainly don't want serious effort put into making them, when that effort could be spent into more important things, like programming the main single player game.

If someone else in the community actually programmed a working deathmatch bot that actually can navigate the basic DM stages we have already though, I would certainly love to see them in SRB2 itself. It would certainly make it much easier to get a 8 player DM going if you didn't actually need 8 people connected to a laggy server to do it.

I have an idea, and sorry if this has been brought up before. Why not make a separate [difficulty?] mode where Sonic can't go Super Sonic at all? No, I'm serious, Super Sonic gets on my nerves rather quickly when I'm playing in a zone of some sort, and just standing in front of Eggman while invincible really isn't much fun.

I've attempted bots before... I went the wrong way with it of course, making the bot be a really freakin complex enemy thing which eventually broke on me... But don't worry. I'm getting there. I don't have a huge budget, but I have a lot of time and a lot of skill. I am a semi-genius Echidna. How hard can it be? :wink:

JTE2 does, especially when he's in a netgame with his buddy Jason. :lol: No, really. That's what we did. Just randomly decided to beat Ult. mode with all the emeralds legitly and without changing characters. It would be more fun in SPMoves or 1.09 though, with the Detons actually chasing you and the Crawla Commanders not walking into you when you charge a spindash. :lol: Or, if you use SPMoves beta 11's fox skin, get your butt whooped by a hundred huge flames fired by crawlas! Yes, I specificly told the crawlas to only target players using the Fox skin. He likes the challenge. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 14, Members: 0, Guests: 14)

Back