Stuff to put in 1.09

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that my web page works, why don't I just...
Link removed. I took it down. I'll put it up again if there's enough intrest.

are flat sprites possible? you know, like in Duke3d how sprites can lay flat against walls and floors? it could make for some interesting additions to the game.

All the sprites are "flat". They aren't 3d models. After the computer renders the "true" 3d (the level), it pastes the sprite onto the screen where it would be. If you want to take a pickaxe to these sprites, download XWE and look in srb2.srb, sonic.plr, tails.plr, knux.plr, and zim.dta.

All of a sudden, when I read this, it doesn't make much sense.

I have XWE. I've looked into all of those

But seriously(If I wasn't already), it's pretty impressive how a 2d sprite fits into a 3D rendered game

Imagine if smash brothers was like this

Actually, it does sometimes. Use Thunder with Pikachu, and when you see the lightning blast onscreen, pause and rotate around. You'll see the same 2D effect as in SRB2 with the moniters.

Maybe this has been suggested, but how about a lindef special that adds to the tagged sector whatever effects are attributed to the lindef's sector?

Allow me to explain. You need a bottomless pit (5) in an area that should be classified as a space countdown sector (6). However, due to DOOM's limitations, that just isn't going to happen; you can have it as 5 OR 6, but both is impossible.

So, if this feature were added later, you could reload that wad, create a dummy sector off to the side, set its sector type to 6, then apply the lindef to the sector set-up with 5. Loading the WAD up, you'll find that the sector now has the bottomless pit it was setup to have, AND the space countdown that the lindef's sector has.

Now, granted, this could create some crazy problems (like, say, if somebody tried to combine two lighting sector specials into the same sector using this method - which one would come out on top?), but really, it would all be up to the level editor's common sense to combine two sector types that WORK together instead of conflict. If they can't figure out that two things conflict like that, they shouldn't be using the lindef.

Or you could just add a sector type that has both space countdown and a bottomless pit at once, seeing as I kinda want one for my level design. :P

I haven't really been keeping up with SRB2 developments so perhaps some of this stuff for v1.1 has been suggested already, and even so, any suggestions made more than once can't be that bad, right? ;)

General Suggestions

* Get rid of the dynamic lights from the flames left behind by the Inferno Shield! They kill OpenGL framerates when you look at them!

* Bubbles should be more consistent from their release spots underwater. The longest I've waited for a bubble once was six seconds, yet sometimes there'll be 5 or 6 of them in under a few seconds!

* Like in the original Sonic games, if you jump from a roll it shouldn't break your point chains. Right now in SRB2 if you roll into five enemies then immediately jump into a sixth one you only score 100 for the sixth one instead of 1000.

Single Player Suggestions

* Every physical ring in a level (not necessarily rings from item boxes) should be obtainable by any of the default players. (Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles) The most notable violation would be the ring of rings in the sky in Greenflower 1.

* There should be a Perfect Bonus just like in Sonic 2 when you collect every physical ring in a level. Of course, the suggestion above would need to be followed for this suggestion to work nicely.

* Like the flowers you get in SonicCD mode, the animals you release should stay in the game in single player mode and scatter through the level to make it a nicer place to be. :)

Multiplayer Suggestions

* Being able to choose between horizontal and vertical split-screening would be nice, but from what I understand it may be nearly impossible to program.

* Your previous multiplayer settings should be saved so that you don't have to input them every time. (Or is this a bug? I just run the game in OpenGL mode so I don't know much about running with the software renderer.)

* You should be able to assign different joysticks for player one and player two. Perhaps unify the joystick architecture? At the very least you should be able to choose which player gets the selected joystick.

* The armageddon shield shouldn't give you chains in Chaos mode.

* New Game Mode: Ring Hunt! Each player has a base (like a beacon or some other sprite) randomly positioned within the level and must collect rings and bring them back to their base to score points. Enemies can be enabled or disabled (like in Chaos mode) and time limits and point limits set. When you drop rings from being attacked the exact number you had is dropped, and to keep it from congesting a level every 10 rings is dropped as a silver ring and every 100 is dropped as a red ring, but again, you only score points for bringing rings home, not for shooting others. The more you bring back at a time the better the score. (1 ring = 10 points, 2 rings = 30 points, 3 = 60 points, 4 = 100 points, 100 = 50,500 points, etc.)

That's all for my suggestions. Keep up the good work with SRB2!

--- Gemini

2 joysticks!

* you should be able to assign different joysticks for player one and player two. Perhaps unify the joystick architecture? At the very least you should be able to choose which player gets the selected joystick.

i already made the new version able to use a 2nd joystick, so use_joystick control player 1 and use_joystick2 control player 2 8)

and we already got rid of the opengl lights from the flames left behind by the Inferno Shield! it really slow down the frame rate!

Shadow Hog, workarounds exist. You can make an invisible intangible FOF set to Instant Kill and place it right on the floor of the sector (although no camera modifications this way, but those suck). You can alternately make an invisible intangible FOF set to Space Countdown spanning the entire height of the sector. But since you asked so nicely, I'll include a Space Countdown+Bottomless Pit sector type in 1.09 so the framerate can be 0.01 fps better.

Your full suggestion, however, isn't practical due to how sector specials work. Unlike most linedef specials, they aren't "initialised" at level load time; rather, it's checking all the time "What special does the sector the player's standing in have?" The answer to this question, like the special number you set in your map editor, must be a single number.

In regards to Gemini's suggestions:

Gemini said:
Get rid of the dynamic lights from the flames left behind by the Inferno Shield! They kill OpenGL framerates when you look at them!
Done.

Every physical ring in a level (not necessarily rings from item boxes) should be obtainable by any of the default players. (Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles)
I disagree. This precludes different paths for the characters. Don't you remember Launch Base and Lava Reef?

There should be a Perfect Bonus just like in Sonic 2 when you collect every physical ring in a level.
Again, disagree. What happens when you get the perfect bonus? After you've discovered every detail of every level, is there any reason to play anymore? Or have you just wasted the game?

The perfect bonus is ill-conceived, and I'm glad clearer thinking prevailed for Sonic 3 & Knuckles, so we don't have to copy it.

Like the flowers you get in SonicCD mode, the animals you release should stay in the game in single player mode and scatter through the level to make it a nicer place to be.
Open the console and type "soniccd on". It doesn't count as a cheat.

You should be able to assign different joysticks for player one and player two.
Done, I think.

The armageddon shield shouldn't give you chains in Chaos mode.
It shouldn't?

Armageddon is rare enough. It's not like we just didn't think of that situation, it happens all the time.

New Game Mode:
Sorry, no new game modes.

yes...because there was suppsoed to be me and a441's 'circuit' mode.....but it would probably lead less attention to the 1p game....or so a441 says. 8)

I purposely created the invisible intangible FOF with the intention that you could use it to combine sector specials and other effects.

a441 said:
There should be a Perfect Bonus just like in Sonic 2 when you collect every physical ring in a level.
Again, disagree. What happens when you get the perfect bonus? After you've discovered every detail of every level, is there any reason to play anymore? Or have you just wasted the game?

The perfect bonus is ill-conceived, and I'm glad clearer thinking prevailed for Sonic 3 & Knuckles, so we don't have to copy it.

*cough* I'm not the only one who doesn't think the Perfect Bonus was stupid *cough*

Seriously, a441, the Perfect Bonus was a neat idea for stages the size of the ones we have. It's just BARELY possible to get all the rings if you're clever in the early levels.

However, I DO agree that it shouldn't be possible to get all the rings as all of the characters. That ruins multiple paths, which are one of the most important and entertaining things about having multiple characters.

I know srb2 is supposed to be like the old games and everything, but it bugs me when the invincibility jingle-type-thing makes the music start over, how about making it play in the background instead of stopping the music?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 17, Members: 0, Guests: 17)

Back