Stop Recolor and Noob Bashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arrol

You know, whenever hear about recolors or noobs, it just makes me sick. Why do we hate them. They've never did a thing to you.

First, I want to talk about the "noobs". I hear people saying how bad noobs are and how they are immature. Have we forgot that we were once noobs? Have you actually ever acted a bit immaturely? To me, mean pro members are no similar to immature members.

Then there's recolors. I don't se why people hate them. Here are the top reasons and my rebuttal.

1. They're not creative; Creativity is a hard thing to use. Some may have no ideas for a character.

2. They're not original; Yes, but some recolors we see in games aren't original, but adored.

3. The spriter is lazy; Or he is a beginning spriter.

4. They don't look cool.; If you loved the original version of the recolor, you should love the recolor itself.

I believe they are mostly made because they are the easiest thing member can make. I believe that making recolors is the beginning stage of spriting. We all have to start somewhere with spriting. With recoloring, you can make sure that your character have the right colors on them. To be honest, I made plenty of recolors, but that was because I didn't know how to make an original sprite. I can't even draw good. Besides, have you ever mde a recolor once, honestly?

In conclusion, I might not presuade you all, but I know someone will listen. Noobs and Recolors, they may not be cool or orginal but, they were actually precursors to true spriting. You have to remeber though, some recolors are adored in certain societies.

End of discussion

Generally I'd make a massive wall of text on this, but I really can't be bothered...

Arrol said:
1. They're not creative; Creativity is a hard thing to use. Some may have no ideas for a character.

Don't care.

Arrol said:
2. They're not original; Yes, but some recolors we see in games aren't original, but adored.

Adored by the idiots. :(

Arrol said:

Beginner or not, don't really care.

Arrol said:
4. They don't look cool.; If you loved the original version of the recolor, you should love the recolor itself.

Not really, they generally look worse.

Arrol said:
You know, whenever hear about recolors or noobs, it just makes me sick. Why do we hate them. They've never did a thing to you.
Well, they clutter up the listing of things that may have actual effort put into them.

Arrol said:
First, I want to talk about the "noobs". I hear people saying how bad noobs are and how they are immature. Have we forgot that we were once noobs? Have you actually ever acted a bit immaturely? To me, mean pro members are no similar to immature members.
Well, you seem to have a problem understanding the term "n00b". A newbie is a newer member. Everyone was a newbie once. Newbies tend to be ignorant of forum traditions, and screw up occasionally. This is fine and a normal part of a forum. The important thing is that newbies care about figuring out how the forum works so they can fit in. Eventually, newbies become respectable members of the community.

A "n00b" is a derogatory term for a newer member who doesn't give a damn about fitting in, and just wants their demands met. An idiot that doesn't follow the rules and then continues to fail to comply even after being told to stop isn't someone we ever want on these forums. An arrogant child who whines when he is told he might actually have to put forth some effort to make a character also isn't someone we want on these forums.

Everyone is immature sometimes. We don't want people who are immature all the time, and that's a large number of people who come to these forums.

Arrol said:
Then there's recolors. I don't se why people hate them. Here are the top reasons and my rebuttal.

If you don't have any ideas for a character, maybe you shouldn't be making one at all. Creativity is the number 1, most important thing about making an original character WAD. If you don't have it, you are simply not cut out for making characters, and you should do something else.

Arrol said:
That doesn't make them creative. SEGA has been flailing on this very point for years now. Just because you make a hedgehog black and give him a gun doesn't make the racial stereotype cool. Recolors are just as boring and uncreative when SEGA does them. Look at how much more interesting, say, Blaze is compared to Silver, from a character design perspective.

Arrol said:
Well, if you're practicing spriting by making an ugly recolor, don't release it. We don't wanna play that garbage. When you're no longer a beginner or get some creativity enough to make something original, then go ahead and start releasing.

Arrol said:
Why? Sonic is an interesting character design. Some 10 year old kid's fan-made character is not. Especially if said fan-made character is just Sonic with clothing and a different color. Being original is KEY to making a character I'll like to play as.

Arrol said:
I believe they are mostly made because they are the easiest thing member can make. I believe that making recolors is the beginning stage of spriting. We all have to start somewhere with spriting. With recoloring, you can make sure that your character have the right colors on them. To be honest, I made plenty of recolors, but that was because I didn't know how to make an original sprite. I can't even draw good. Besides, have you ever mde a recolor once, honestly?
No, I can't say I've ever made a recolor. You know why? I can't draw. I KNOW I can't draw, and because of that I've never even attempted to make a character WAD. I do not possess the creativity and artistic talent I mentioned earlier, and I know it. I'm not cut out to making a quality character WAD, and I'm not satisfied with making some terrible, ugly recolor of a much better character. Instead, I decided to make levels, which is something I _can_ do without the ability to draw. Playing to your strengths is essential.

Recolors are the easiest and lowest quality thing you can possibly make. That means we get a lot of them and they all suck. Nobody cares about your fan character, and nobody cares that you can open MS Paint and make Tails green. We hate on recolors because they're low-quality garbage, and we don't want to play low-quality garbage.

Arrol said:
In conclusion, I might not presuade you all, but I know someone will listen. Noobs and Recolors, they may not be cool or orginal but, they were actually precursors to true spriting. You have to remeber though, some recolors are adored in certain societies.

End of discussion
And this sure as hell isn't one of them. Recolors suck, if you make them to practice spriting, don't post that garbage here. When you've had enough practice and gotten enough creativity to make something original that people other than you might be interested in, then feel free to post it here.

End of discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back