STH360 (50 % done) continues elsewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chisuun said:
I have a question that was never answered, but since I asked it in 'Fun, I'll just post the quote here:

[quote='Fun]<Chisuun> <HS> STH360 WIP
<Chisuun> Why the hell is it in releases if it isn't done?
[/quote]

This was before Mystic made the submissions method.

Can't the completion of the level act like shufflarB2 where It freezes the screen instead of changing to a different window, but you could add the rank thing at the end.

daiches99 said:
Can't the completion of the level act like shufflarB2 where It freezes the screen instead of changing to a different window, but you could add the rank thing at the end.

he put the S rank at the interscreen, when you pass a level

daiches99 said:

Hmm. I think I have to make the imtermission screen all light blue. But I think that will ruin it, but I'll try the risk.

HYPER SONILDOW said:
Hmm. I think I have to make the imtermission screen all light blue. But I think that will ruin it, but I'll try the risk.

I think that works for sprites only bub.

Never mind.

and if you guys want to hear SWSM's critism then hear it is.

SRB2WikiSonicMaster said:
I'm sorry, but I wasn't patient enough to go through the entire mod because of how unenjoyable it was. I did go through the new stuff, and I didn't like ANY of the stages. Crisis City Mach Speed is jaw-droppingly close to being unplayable; it's without a doubt, the worst level in the pack. Linedef Type 15 was executed very, very badly, as well. I don't see this mod going anywhere. I know it seems rudely unencouraging, but if you want to create something good, you're just going to have to give up on this mod and create something that TOTALLY doesn't look like Sega made it.

Let's face it: if you create something that the oldbies enjoy, you'll please both the newbie crowd AND the oldbie crowd. Mystic Realm is enjoyed by noobs, newbies, and oldbies.

If it hasn't happened already, you are risking Cue (and others) making a rather nasty satire of your mod on one of his websites. Getting praise from noobs is not worth being mentioned on that horrible site called "Zero Effort." I never heard him say he's considering it, but my gut feeling tells me that he would do it. Save yourself.

I didn't use effect 15 in CCMS. And I don't care if Cue puts it on that "Zero Effort" site. He can do whatever he pleases. I'll finish this mod anyway. It's not like this is going to hurt me. And yeah the "mods based off of sonic games are horrible" comment. Think I don't know that? And where's the critism? I don't see what made it bad. I think this was just trying to bring me down. That's a strong-ass reply.

Anyway, I'm still waiting for Blue Warrior's critism. And Dr. Pepp. I fix'd your problems. Like the three buttons, symbol on ground, etc. Yeah I fix'd em. Once I get Blue Warrior's then I'll send both of you guys another PB and see how it turns out.

Ok list them. I don't know what the hell your talking about either. Actually, when I see critism I see "fix this" or "fix that". That's what I usaully see. But if I'm wrong correct me.

Sorry to get all dictionary.com on you, but criticism simply means analysis based on one's opinion. At least that's the meaning I grew up using, if you wanted constructive criticism to see if there is any room for improvement, it seems like SWSM didn't seem to find any, hence:
you're just going to have to give up on this mod and create something that TOTALLY doesn't look like Sega made it.

Ice said:
if you wanted constructive criticism to see if there is any room for improvement, it seems like SWSM didn't seem to find any, hence:
you're just going to have to give up on this mod and create something that TOTALLY doesn't look like Sega made it.

Yeah that's what I was looking for and exactly! I didn't see any constuctive critism, so that's what I meant.

I have some doubts we'd ever see this on Zero Effort, that site is for levels that have absolutely no effort in them at all. Of course than again, I don't run the place or know Cue personally, so what would I know? :P
If there's any constructive criticism on the levels themselves that I could pick out of SonicMaster's words, it would be how utterly unplayable that mach speed zone is, and I agree with him. I Game Over'd three times trying to work around the overuse of crates/rings, and the glitchy zoom tubes/camera views. I finally made it after dieing another 3 three times while using Burning Blaze to jump over the springs in the end. It's better to remove that level altogether, it doesn't make sense anyway.

Okay, I just played the beta, and I'm going to give my review on the MOD's status. First off, let me state that I never even played this MOD or the original game before beta testing this. Therefore, even though I heard stuff about this, I had little idea what to expect. So, I've gone through the levels pretty thoroughly, and this is what I can sum up.

First and foremost, the basics: The gameplay is entirely in SA mode, but oftentimes the game seems to switch in and out of analog... considering I'm playing the private beta wad, I'm not sure if this is in the public version, but if it is, then I advise you to choose Coop instead of Single Player, if you choose to play this MOD. There's a couple hubworlds as well as levels where you must reach the goal in pretty much a style of "Point A -> Point B". The bosses, besides having analog and SA mode enabled, aren't that much different than any other stage.

Starting out a single player game starts you off in Soleana City, one of the two existing hubworlds in this MOD. Now, I don't have a lightning fast computer, so this may not apply to everybody, but the first thing I notice is an instant drop in framerate. For the most part, the level looks pretty nice. But clearly, its number of sectors is what is slow my game down, and I can guess that this is largely because of the "fake slopes" in the map, such as the bridges. It's difficult to know where you're supposed to go, but you generally end up in a level warp pretty quickly. Unfortunately, the levels themselves are basically a collection of multiple gameplay flaws as well as the aforementioned framerate lag.

Almost each level geographically seems to be dominated by bottomless pits, which very easily lead to cheap deaths. However, the deaths are often repayable because of the simply silly placement of 1 ups throughout the levels. Generally there will only be one or two paths to go through, and in a majority of the levels, zoom tubes are dominant. Much of your time in the levels will be sent sitting back while a zoom tube does its thing. There are many custom camera angles that, while I guess trying to be cinematic, only disorient the player and falter gameplay.

Gimmicks can sometimes be found in the level, such as waterslides, lava, and quicksand. These don't enhance the gameplay. The waterslide, while interesting at first, is not used in a way that would make the level stand out and... well, fun, and simply exists to exist. The lava and quicksand are only a few fracunits above a bottomless pit, so they aren't really any more minor a hazard than a death pit itself, even in one of the boss arenas. There's a button-hunting section in one of the levels I played, but unfortunately, this isn't executed in any interesting fashion and was simply another chore.

The lack of consistency in some things really hurts the levels as well. Sometimes you can break boxes and sometimes you can't. Unfortunately, the boxes that are breakable are usually right next to a bottomless pit. The spring placement is really faulty, as sometimes if you don't reposition yourself you fall into a death pit, while at other times, making any move whatsoever plummets you to your doom. Some death pits just don't make any sense, because I'll climb a hill, but it turns out the block I was ascending to the top of had a floor of a death pit. I found this extremely ridiculous at an area with a lavafall. Also, some times there's a bunch of enemies waiting to fight me (usually you can just skip past them with no problem, but sometimes killing them is necessary to go to the next room), while a few levels seem completely barren of enemies whatsoever, making the level a straight-forward "run along the path to win".

I've found time and time again some bugs in the levels, mainly missing or awkward textures, but also incorrect sector types. It isn't common, but sometimes I found myself touching a platform that was accidentally tagged a bottomless pit, and one other time I found a death pit that didn't function.

To summarize: death pits, lag, very poorly executed gimmicks and springs, a completely excessive amount of zoom tubes and camera shots that break gameplay, and a lack of actual challenge in the maps makes this entirely unenjoyable; it just isn't fun. I have countless suggestions on how you can improve your levels, but to put them into action would require entirely reworking the MOD. So, I have a much simpler solution:

Cancel it.

I once heard a saying that anything that's worth doing is worth doing right. Unfortunately, a shot at a MOD based off of Sonic 360 isn't worth doing, and you didn't do it right at all. Sorry for being blunt about this, but there really isn't any other reality to it.

Yeah, this mod is going to be canceled in about few minutes. Since you guys want me to cancel it then I will. Let me just upload the version I got right now.

No! You can't give up! This mod is surpassing many of the mods that I have played, and it's gradually getting much better! Please, don't give up yet. Sure, different people have different tastes in mods, but there are a whole bunch of them who love your work! Including myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back