Starting off with Srb2 modding

LuminousNeon

Ideally Imperfect
So, I'm attempting to get into making character addons for Srb2, and I was wondering what I might need to be familiar with to do that effectively. I recently started going through an LUA lesson book titled "LUA Quick Start Guide" (By Gabor Szauer), since LUA seems to be a prominent part of Srb2 Modding as a whole. Aside from things like LUA and spriting I'm not exactly sure where to start building the skill set. I've noticed that page on the Srb2 wiki on character development, but it had said that it wasn't updated to reflect 2.2, and I feel like those with prior 2.1 knowledge would be able to utilize that fully. But who knows, we might be at 2.3 by the time I'm done learning. I don't believe I'm anywhere near knowing all I need to know, but I want to at least get a sense of what ill need moving forward.

You'll need these three key things:
  1. An idea for your character, their appearance and moveset;
  2. Moderate spriting skill, so that you can at least make SRB2-styled sprites;
  3. Lua and SOC scripting knowledge, so that any custom ability that you want can be implemented.
I can help you with the last part if you want. Don't expect me to always have free time to help though!

You'll need these three key things:
  1. An idea for your character, their appearance and moveset;
  2. Moderate spriting skill, so that you can at least make SRB2-styled sprites;
  3. Lua and SOC scripting knowledge, so that any custom ability that you want can be implemented.
I can help you with the last part if you want. Don't expect me to always have free time to help though!
I suppose if I have questions ill leave them on this thread.
Thanks!
Sorry I took so long to get to this, I forgot to watch the thread.

I can help! But I can't really do Lua, though I can help with the rest! You can send me a message or smth, I will be glad to help!

So I've been trying to type up some examples in VS Code with little luck.
IMG-3976.JPG

Under "String literals" it says they need to be in between quotes, so I type the "hello, world" example and move on.
The next example says to put a literal in a "print" line, so I put in the "hello, world" example from earlier.
Then it says "print a string assigned to a variable" and this is where I start getting confused.
I need to assign a string to a string literal, ok. It says that a string is an array of characters, so I would assume that a, say, 3 letter word will work.
1.PNG

But then I think "well, I haven't assigned anything to "message" yet". So you want me to assign something to something within a something?
And then it says to print "message", but my assignment to that was SUPPOSEDLY assigning "hey" to "hello, world".
2.PNG

I fixed the "pring" after I took this pic
And then I run it and get this in the console.

unexpected symbol near '"hello, world"'

Not surprised. Very confused.

unexpected symbol near '"hello, world"'
  1. The first "hello, world" is unnecessary
  2. You have to put local before the value name to register it
  3. message must be a string, and hey isn't a string
Corrected code:
print("hello, world")
local message = "hey"
print(message)

1. The first "hello, world" is unnecessary
  2. You have to put local before the value name to register it
  3. message must be a string, and hey isn't a string
Corrected code:
print("hello, world")
local message = "hey"
print(message)

Thank you good sir.
resulting code was

hello, world
hey

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back