(SRB2Kart) How exactly do I host a server?

Man, it sure would to be able to properly host a server, a server where I can choose what characters to choose from and have fun. It just doesn't seem to work for some reason. I've turned advertising on, and in the server browser, its name doesn't show up. Rather, it is listed as unreachable. What exactly am I doing wrong and how do I fix it? I would really like to be able to host a server.

From what I understand, the holepunching Kart uses to host without portforwarding doesn't work on all networks. You could try checking your firewall to ensure Kart has permission to communicate on both public and private networks (on Windows, this is found in Control Panel under "Allow an App or Feature Through Windows Defender Firewall). Otherwise, you'll probably have to portforward.

Ok, to make things a bit clearer, the issue I having looks something like this (look at the 3 unreachable servers below), where in the server browser, my server was listed as unreachable. And also, I use macOS for SRB2Kart, which doesn't really have a firewall. Were servers that weren't port forwarded had this unreachable status in the server browser back in v1.3?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-22 at 9.41.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-22 at 9.41.19 PM.png
    48.5 KB · Views: 110
Yes, servers which weren't portforwarded were labeled as unreachable. This is still the case for vanilla SRB2, where holepunching is not currently an option.

I've used that tutorial. And is this supposed to be my config? I didn't put in the address for obvious reasons. But regardless of what I do, nothing works here. I've actually attempted port forwarding for SRB2Kart over a year ago and I had the exact same issues.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-23 at 11.51.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-23 at 11.51.03 AM.png
    100.8 KB · Views: 141
That looks correct, your ISP might have port 5029 blocked or portforwarding disabled entirely.
I didn't put in the address for obvious reasons.
1. The address might be a problem. You might have used your public IP instead of your local IP, or an incorrect version of either.
2. If you host, your IP address will be displayed for all to see. You should not be attempting to host if you don't want that, not that your IP being exposed is dangerous (you can't do much of anything with just an IP).

1. How do I access my local IP? I've done several attempts with different addresses (with one of them being from the terminal) and none of them worked.
2. I've always wondered if server hosting was truly safe from bad stuff like viruses. I assume they are despite what you say though.
Post automatically merged:

And another thing, why would someone block port forwarding if it is an option in the settings?
Post automatically merged:

Actually, am I able to unblock port 5029? And if so, how?

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back