SRB2FFH - Currently experiencing some issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hypersonic4ever said:
How do u upload SRB2FFH it won't let me?

You goto http://srb2ffh.supersanctuary.net and hit browse. Pick a file and click the open button. Now make sure you check marked terms of service. Then all you do is hit upload my file button.

This website is only used for Wad files and Soc Files. Anything else will get delete.

Cue, you're not getting the point I made in my first post. We have the same damn objective. What I mean to say is that while you're admirable for taking on such a huge project, doing it alone won't get you very far.

While I may have implied that I wanted to improve on the FFH or make a new one, really what I want to accomplish is just make what you're trying to make. Whether or not it would be under the FFH name is unknown as I leave that up to the future and what the community would like to name it.

You don't have to go out fists swinging though, that's completely uncalled for; you act as if you're directly trying to compete with me and trying to bring my service to the community down. We're not competing for the good of the community Cue, we're supposed to work together for the good of the community. It's not like either of us are being paid to do this so you have no reason to try and shun me from the community and act like you'll forever be on top of me.

Now I understand your reasoning behind multiple hosts, though I'm one to like backup hosting for special cases. (You don't know how frustrating it is to have to wait until your server finishes maintenance before you can access your files again) But even with that reasoning, you don't have to act so passive-aggressive over this. I said that I would offer my help and try and get a new, good hosting site for this community up and running. But as I can clearly see, you don't really want to help, you're talking to me like I should have nothing to do with this community.

Maybe I don't, I've been away for a long time and I'm not really very active. But I'm still trusted by a few people here and I'm still trying my best to keep the FFH up and running, despite the many things I have to do. I still want what's best for this community and I feel I can be trusted to take some part in helping it.

Maybe I'm taking this all the wrong way but you certainly remind me of a few arrogant users I've encountered in the past that care nothing about but themselves. I'll take it that you aren't though for the fact that you're still working on a website for a community that's (admittedly) full of members that are a few cards short of a full deck.

Part of me thinks that maybe the whole YouSRB2 thing should be integrated into the forum for easy account linking. And by forum I mean this one that's still running, since apparently, as your magical little thread about it has shown, no one seems to like the idea of changing the MB as it is...

@People not liking it:

I have one thing to say, people hate change, we're moving, it's all been sorted out, SSN is for it, Mystic is starting to like the idea, people just say "Oh no, the design is crap, I don't care if it's better, the design that he's said is changing numerous times is crap so I hate the idea of moving", hence why I completely ignore them and get on with my work. This community can't stand a change for the better and think ancient message board software is awesome and should never be replaced, I hope to open their eyes and prove to them otherwise.

I'm sorry if I seem to come across as being aggressive, all I am trying to say is that it is likely that the FFH will be overshadowed, it is not my choice to kill the release forums, as I have said it was AJ's. I'm just trying to say that everyone will most likely use YouSRB2 since it will be the only way of actually releasing things to the community.

I am not trying to say you should have nothing to do with this community, on the contrary, I really do admire you effort to keep the FFH running, I just think you may find your effort to be in vain once I am done with YouSRB2. I'm sorry if I sound a tad big headed here, but it's the truth of things, really. If you want to continue with the FFH, I'm not going to stop you, again I say you deserve praise for what you have achieved with it.

Cue, he whats to help you. Not take you down.
JJames19119 said:
You don't have to go out fists swinging though, that's completely uncalled for; you act as if you're directly trying to compete with me and trying to bring my service to the community down. We're not competing for the good of the community Cue, we're supposed to work together for the good of the community. It's not like either of us are being paid to do this so you have no reason to try and shun me from the community and act like you'll forever be on top of me.

It's not my place to intrude or get involved, but I have to say it: This bickering is nonsense.

I don't get it. Why don't you just combine forces? You're both very experienced PHP programmers that are working toward a common goal; what else do you need? If you worked together, the workload would be halved, and you would have the chance to speed up the process, and also possibly have the chance to work on certain parts more carefully, and make it better than it ever would've as done by one person. As for the ego-inflation, well, that's only a minor disadvantage to what the end product will be.

Seriously, I think you should both consider it. I don't understand why Cue feels the need to do it all alone (mostly because of the glory I assume; if he didn't give a flying crap about it, this mindless mudslinging never would've started), but regardless; doubling up is, what I believe, a better handle on the situation. If the FFH is eventually just going to be dominated by YouSRB2, then let it happen. It's better to let that happen rather than have a (possibly) rushed/crappy/unfinished system (YouSRB2) and an unreliable, less efficient one (SRB2FFH). Whether or not it would be poorly made by one person, it would still take a considerable chunk of time to complete; much longer than it should, methinks.

I prefer to work on my own, really, Ash, not only does it mean I don't have to argue with anyone about decisions, but it means I can just get on with it, I don't have to worry about what someone else is doing. I don't do it for the glory, I do it because it's actually easier on me since, well, PHP programmers all have their own way of doing things, my way could be completely different to JJ's.

It's really not as hard as you think, to be honest, it's all query stuff, nothing big, couple of whiles here and there, few ifs and elses and you're done. Heck, even the upload script has the potential to only be at max 200 lines.

Cue, I think Ash is right. If you really want to make abig deal about PHP coding, then don't touch JJ's sections, and keep him away from yours. Is it really that hard?

Although, my main gripe with what you're trying set up Cue is hooking up YouSRB2 with (essentially) a gamertag and achievements. You can say anything you want, but it essentially comes down to another e-penis to show off, and having these co-exist with the Wiki just means we're going to have achievement whores running around and collecting emblems to increase their gamerscore. Honestly, this won't work.

Guys, guys, if Cue wants to work alone, let him. Yeah the saying "two heads are better then one" is an oft used saying, if Cue wants to work alone this badly, then let that be a sign to you saying that having another person around might hinder more then help him and thep roject on whole. Just as used as the other saying, there is another; too many cooks spoil the brew.

Cue, I wish you the best of luck in this. I can't say that doing it alone, you'll really achieve everything you and everyone else is hoping for, but I'm confident enough that you get the job done at least.

I know that the FFH will be completely overshadowed, quite frankly it doesn't really bother me; it's served it's time. It had a great run and Mystic even stickied and recommended it. That alone is enough achievement for me. Though I'm certainly not about to take it down, I dare not break the hundreds of links out there and aside from that, there will always be a place in the hearts of people looking for a quick fix for the FFH, whether it's something for IM, something you don't intend on keeping for too long or something moderately private, the FFH will still be there at least.

And I still plan on improving the FFH regardless because, well, while yes YouSRB2 will completely overshadow it, it's not like we're there yet, right? I'm not gonna make any long term improvements but things that just generally needs to be taken care of. (It's reliability for one)

Blue, you get achievement whoring on any of the 360 games out there, unfortunately this can't be helped. What can be done though is make some hard achievements that boosting won't doing anything to help get.

JJ, I wish you the best of luck with it, but please don't underestimate my ability, I have everything I wish to do planned out in my head and it's more or less all stuff I've done before, apart from the Video API (Revver or Youtube, have yet to decide) but I always have Kroze if I get stuck with it. =P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back