SRB2FFH - Currently experiencing some issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those who have noticed, our server is having a few "Hiccups" along the way today. Unfortunately our Host decided to move our hosting over into a different area for better service. With that being said, you may experience some Errors when using the FFH service. JJames is currently working to fix all of our hosted services, so please be patient! Everything will be fixed as he gets to it.

Ive noticed that myself. Wonder why that is. o_o Though i guess its just personal preference and whatnot.

Also, update on SRB2FFH status- As far as ive tested, Files hosted are still downloadable. w00t. Uploading may not work though (Im too lazy to test as im working on other things...yep).

Like anyone cares anyway. XD *bricked*

I guess that many people use SendSpace just because they ignore SRB2FFH. Anyways I wouldn't be using it because I already have a host for my files. I guess that SRB2FFH is mainly useful for people that don't have a post. It isn't so useful for looking for specific WADs due to the lack of a Search feature.

I think the reason people don't use it is because I guess they feel it isn't very reliable or something like that. They may also be unable to download stuff for some weird reason too.

Sik said:
I guess that many people use SendSpace just because they ignore SRB2FFH. Anyways I wouldn't be using it because I already have a host for my files. I guess that SRB2FFH is mainly useful for people that don't have a post. It isn't so useful for looking for specific WADs due to the lack of a Search feature.

Hence why we have the forums, right? *flamed*

Sonict said:
I think the reason people don't use it is because I guess they feel it isn't very reliable or something like that. They may also be unable to download stuff for some weird reason too.

The unreliable bit i can get i guess (SS.net isn't well known around the net anyways). But, if people had problems downloading from our FFH, They outta have he common sense to contact us about it one way or another so we can try gettin' it fixed. Well, my point of view anyways.

SuperSonic117 said:
Sik said:

Hence why we have the forums, right? *flamed*
You didn't understand. SRB2FFH could act as a general place to host WADs. If you want to get a WAD, you would go there and use the search feature to retrieve it. Such a feature doesn't exist, so that idea wouldn't work and hence discourages people to upload WADs there just for the sake of having them there and not somewhere else.

Ah yeah, i see what ya mean now. My bad.

I'll quote from JJ for this though, as when i asked him he told me this:

"It's not in my ability to currently. ._."

So that be our problem. Yep.

From the feedback I've been getting from a lot of people, it seems they want something more then the FFH. I've recieved numerous PMs from Cueball in the past about how he is going to make a YouSRB2 or something like that but part of me highly doubts he can do this. (You don't know how many people I've seen put so much on their shoulders and aren't able to do it in the end, hell I'm one of them)

I'm all up for making a new and improved FFH from scratch, but I would need a couple people to help, namely another person that knows PHP inside out and a graphics designer. Big projects tend to get done easier and faster when multiple people are involved.

All that being said and done, the server move should be complete...

Maybe you can help Cue with YouSRB2 or something, and SS, well, she can sit there and continue to be awesome otherwise I'm not sure what she can do (oh, and PS, the news is screwed on your site SS) =)

You underestimate my skill, YouSRB2 isn't hard at all, it's actually very easy, have you seen the new MB? That took time, it was big. To be honest, I wouldn't bother making another, as soon as I get YouSRB2 up, the FFH will be completely overshadowed...

Let's put it another way, can you beat this?

• A direct link to the SRB2 user database, so no need to create new accounts.
  • The ability to upload, yeah, I said upload videos of your creations.
  • 3 different download links will be supplied with each upload:

[list:61194f38d4]
  • Direct Download - Download it through your browser like you normally would
  • Dynamic Download - Uses a little program that will be included in the next release of SRB2 (providing I can convince SSN about it, which shouldn't be too hard) to download it directly to your SRB2 folder.
  • Down 'n Play - Same as above, except it downloads it and runs SRB2 with the file added.
[*]Integration with the SRB2Live Server, files you upload can be uploaded as updates to old versions, users can then use the same program as they do for downloading to check all of their wads for updates. If the wadupdate console variable is set to on, it'll check for updates for wads you add using addfile and such too.
[*]Commenting.
[*]Themes (Same as the rest of the site, duh).[/list:u:61194f38d4]

I would also like to point out that any 3rd party hosts will be obsolete as YouSRB2 will be replacing the releases sections, so if someone wants to release their wad/soc/etc, they have no choice but to upload it to YouSRB2.

And if you still think I have no idea what I'm doing or I'm not committed to this, tell that to my poor fingers and the thousands of lines of code I had to write for just the UserCP and MB.

GCFreak said:
Maybe you can help Cue with YouSRB2 or something, and SS, well, she can sit there and continue to be awesome otherwise I'm not sure what she can do (oh, and PS, the news is screwed on your site SS) =)

Thanks for taking notice, GC. >.> Though it doesn't matter much. either way the main sites gonna be shifted over, and replaced by a Network portal (thats still currently being worked on slowly). I could probably just remove the PHP coding for the news on the front page and replace it with a notice. Its about time people get notified anyway...

And uh, sitting here makes me awesome...? Wow, compared to what JJ has to do to get recognition- this takes the cake! *bricked* Nah, i get props for being awesome in other areas- though i think JJ Deserves more than i do. XD

...Cue, it sounds like to me, all you wanna do is make something and then hog all the glory to yourself and try and shun anyone else that simply wants to help the community. That kind of attitude doesn't deserve any sort of reward or glory, just a slap in the face to tell you no, you can't do that and expect to become a hero. :\

That's seriously not how you should be acting, if you act that way then by god, I'd hate to see how you would administrate the place...

I think maybe you should step down from coding up YouSRB2 if it's going to inflate your ego like that. The last thing anyone on these internets need is another egotistical maniac with powers high above anyone else.

Of course, that's just me judging based on a single post, but your post was long enough for me to at least warn you.

I have better things to do than inflate my ego, James, all I'm doing is warning you that you really shouldn't bother with a new FFH since it'll be overshadowed, the removal of the Release sections was not my choice, SSNTails was in fact the one who made that decision (I think...?). Why do we need multiple hosts anyway? One site with plenty of unique things is a lot better than a load of small hosts that have next to nothing in the way of features compared to that single large host.

I'm sure everyone would rather have something that is attached to the SRB2 site, to be honest, as you said, people don't feel the FFH is very reliable.

I really don't give a flying crap about glory, if I wanted glory I'd be working on SRB2Live instead of trying to improve the site for a community full of ungrateful users, that wasn't aimed at you, by the way, just look at the thread for the new site, it's full of "I HATEZ TEH CHANGEZ!@'3;#" and all that crap.

To sum that wall o' text off, I'm not telling you to do anything, I'm just suggesting that you may be very disappointed with the amount of use the FFH would get, without the releases section, people would have no reason to use it, Sendspace or any other 3rd party host to host their releases, they would have to rely on YouSRB2. Not to mention they don't have to release it, since there will be plenty of options including marking things as private, so only people with the URL can download it. I can't step down from YouSRB2 now, anyway, SSN is counting on me and I'm one of the very few experienced PHP programmers in this community.

Ash said:
I dunno. A lot of people use it in general, but it seems sendspace is the new craze around here.

*Covers ears* sendspace = devil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back