• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Srb2EmeraldChaos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh, those Dark City textures don't look very good, but other than that, it looks pretty well done.

Srb2ECbadniks.png

Some concept sketches for badniks.

I'm not too thrilled about the wall textures you're using, and I'm definitely not thrilled that you're mixing them together. Choose one and add appropriate shadows to keep your visuals interesting. And then incorporate more unique non-blocky landmarks into your level.

The colors of the water and the sky are too similar. I think contrasting hues would be more eye-pleasing.

That's a neat bridge, by the way.

Screens of the first level of the mod, Shining Hill Zone.

Why is it that EVERY single SRB2 mod feels obligated to begin with a beach/meadow/forest zone? I'd kill if somebody would plop Sonic right in Eggman's base from the get-go. Come on! SRB2-modding is supposed to be an exercise in creativity!

Also...

srb20008.png

What on Earth am I looking at here? I assume you're showcasing falling icicle hazards, and that's all good. But how the hell am I supposed to know that without any explanation of your screneshots?

Last edited:
srb20006.png

Your textures for the walls surronding the water are too dark. It really clashes with the rest of the bright, cyan-colored level.

Why is it that EVERY single SRB2 mod feels obligated to begin with a beach/meadow/forest zone? I'd kill if somebody would plop Sonic right in Eggman's base from the get-go. Come on! SRB2-modding is supposed to be an exercise in creativity!
Ignoring the fact that the topic is locked and the user is banned...

http://mb.srb2.org/showthread.php?t=32134

Does this count as starting in Eggman's base from step one? =P

At the risk of venturing further off-topic...

Because every single Sonic game, save for Sonic Advance 3, felt obligated to begin with a beach/meadow/forest zone.

Well, then I'd say that's a fault of the series that modders have the opportunity to correct. While there's nothing inherently wrong with each beginning level being some variation of the "green environment" cliché, it does becomes boring when it's the status que for nearly every game acrossed multiple series (Sonic, Mario, Kirby, Rayman, ect.). Again, we have no obligation to replicate the tiresome/outdated characteristics of videogames in SRB2. Why not experiment and innovate?

And the second reason why I make such a fat deal about something as trivial as level order is because it implies the same old story over and over again:

Eggman invades Sonic's green 'n' pristine turf.
Sonic stops Eggman's advance.
Sonic chases Eggman over several differently-themed zones.
Sonic defeats Eggman at his own base.
Eggman escapes and plans his next bid for worldwide domination.

Again, this familiar sequence of events isn't necessarily bad, but it has become increasingly stale. Now, if somebody were to begin a Sonic game in Eggman's base (as Unleashed and Sa-x's mod have), the old backstory doesn't apply and the player is free to speculate as to what's going on. Does Sonic follow Eggman's retreat for once? Is Sonic searching the base for some doomsday device? How do the subsequent level themes or details convey what's happening? See, that simple switheroo in the tried-and-true formula adds a lot of mystery and intrigue to a SRB2 mod, which can be a great and exciting thing.

tl;dr summary - Don't let tradition restrict what you developers can attempt to do.

Last edited:
I'd kill if somebody would plop Sonic right in Eggman's base from the get-go.
Actually, one of our former plans for this mod was actually like that. After some decisions, we canned the idea. (If your wondering why, it's because of what will happen to the level lineups).

Well, then I'd say that's a fault of the series that modders have the opportunity to correct.
That's exactly my opinion too. It's just rather hard to execute without being somewhat weird. I was actually pretty irritated by Route 99 in SA3 because I had expected a typical green-meadow-island zone. It has become sort of a tradition.

There is also a gameplay reason for this: These island cliché levels usually don't have many gimmicks and are thus forced to be at the beginning of the pack. Of course, if you're creative enough, there would probably be a way to make a long, gimmicky and challenging zone with this theme, but it requires more creativity than doing the same with the ERZ texture set. After all, the gimmick should fit into the level, and as an island/meadow theme is pretty natural, all gimmicks should be adapted to this. It's much easier to be creative with a factory/base theme, because you can do all kinds of weird tricks, since the theme itself is pretty unnatural.

Because every single Sonic game, save for Sonic Advance 3, felt obligated to begin with a beach/meadow/forest zone.

SegaSonic, Sonic Adventure 2, Shadow The Hedgehog, Sonic Riders, Sonic Spinball.

These games don't begin with a beach/meadow/forest zone either... I don't know if that's all of them though.

srb200112.png

boss for my mod or the zone gireen hills palisades act 1 for my mods emerald chaos enjoy it

So, the boss is pretty nice, especially the bouncing part, as it makes it harder. Which is good if you want this mod to be a hard one.

this the levels for mod i need help making these levels so help me make them

mountain rift act 1
mountain rift act 2
mountain rift act 3
sky base act 1
sky base act 2
sky base act 3
green mountain act 1
green mountain act 2
green mountain act 3
bridge lake act 1
bridge lake act 2
bridge lake act 3
rocky mesa act 1
rocky mesa act 2
rocky mesa act 3
castle palace act 1
castle palace act 2
castle palace act 3
rocky desert act 1
rocky desert act 2
rocky desert act 3
cloud forest act 1
cloud forest act 2
cloud forest act 3
hidden reef act 1
hidden reef act 2
hidden reef act 3
neo dust hill act 1
neo dust hill act 2
neo dust hill act 3
sky city act 1
sky city act 2
sky city act 3
volcano zone act 1
volcano zone act 2
volcano zone act 3

i have started on some,

Last edited:
srb200112.png

boss for my mod or the zone gireen hills palisades act 1 for my mods emerald chaos enjoy it
LOL, were you hacked or something? Anyways...

The mod's progress looks nice so far. Although I do have a few complaints...

srb20034.png

There's no texture variation, and the constant sandy one hurts my eyes. Please fix that.

srb20008.png

The icicles do not blend well with the current texture. If you're going to add in custom sprites, I suggest you at least make them blend.

It's not bad, but there's definitely room for improvement.

Alright! We made some progress! :3
Anyways, here is the full level coop level lineup for srb2ec!
map01 - rockypallisades act 1
map02 - rockypallisades act 2
map03 - rockypallisades act 3
map04 - Boscage Forge (For now, only 1 act.)
map05 - ^^^
map06 - ^^^
map07 - frosty floe act 1
map08 - frosty floe act 2
map09 - frosty floe act 3
map10 - rockslide reef act 1
map11 - rockslide reef act 2
map12 - rockslide reef act 3
map13 - moonlight city act 1
map14 - moonlight city act 2
map15 - moonlight city act 3
map16 - rainbow mountain act 1
map17 - rainbow mountain act 2
map18 - rainbow mountain act 3
map19 - Eggman island act 1
map20 - Eggman island act 2
map21 - Eggman island act 3

Anyways. We are starting to make some new bosses like this one!
Oh yay I created a new title for Srb2Ec :3. http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/5367/ttswip1.png
Any thoughts? Please, tell me.
D00D64, Kaysakado, I will await your holy rage words.

---------- Post added at 05:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:10 AM ----------

Very small update.
Full rotation of NeoSilverSonic! http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/3056/neosilversonic.png

Yep, putting some shadows would be nice.

For example:

Yea, we have been working on adding shadows to the levels.
A little quick note for you guys, the first 2 levels seen above was scrapped. :|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back