SRB2 "Version Timeline" Theory(?)

SnocSock the Hedg

The bluebell Sonic. // tryin to find good pictures
So...I've had this idea for a while now, but I just kept forgetting to put it in here. I think it's interesting, albeit not completely coherent.
It's a theory that the version progression of SRB2 (and SRB2 specifically) are a progression of time, and how more lands are being found and changing over the years.
I'm pretty sure it started when I noticed that the blue star emblem in 2.2 THZ1 was in a patch of green grass, high up. Remember 2.0? That THZ1 had green grass. The chemicals got so bad most of the grass was killed and turned brown.
As I had warned before, this theory isn't 100% coherent, and it definitely doesn't make the most sense, especially with the intro to the game. But I'm not great with theories. I'm only 16, after all. Feel free to try to expand on this, or don't. I'm not sure how one would do that to this, anyway. It's bad.

"After all, this is just a theory...a Game Theory!"

So...I've had this idea for a while now, but I just kept forgetting to put it in here. I think it's interesting, albeit not completely coherent.
It's a theory that the version progression of SRB2 (and SRB2 specifically) are a progression of time, and how more lands are being found and changing over the years.
I'm pretty sure it started when I noticed that the blue star emblem in 2.2 THZ1 was in a patch of green grass, high up. Remember 2.0? That THZ1 had green grass. The chemicals got so bad most of the grass was killed and turned brown.
As I had warned before, this theory isn't 100% coherent, and it definitely doesn't make the most sense, especially with the intro to the game. But I'm not great with theories. I'm only 16, after all. Feel free to try to expand on this, or don't. I'm not sure how one would do that to this, anyway. It's bad.

pretty sure theres no lore related thing about the map changes, its just adding better appearances and giving it a more 'accurate' look to what the developers were trying to create :worry:

but then considering how goofy sonic timeline is, there is a possibility that one of my old theories are true.

all of these versions in the game are different iterations of the original/prime universe which was SRB1. I never played 1 but if it was ended completely without much loose ends then that would mean SRB2 is an entire alternate universe running on an idea which was 'what if SRB1's story never ended there?"

now we go over "I'm pretty sure it started when I noticed that the blue star emblem in 2.2 THZ1 was in a patch of green grass, high up. Remember 2.0? That THZ1 had green grass. The chemicals got so bad most of the grass was killed and turned brown."

now my newer theory is that the versions are just one timeline that has loops with each adding, polishing, and replacing the world with new/reworked stuff.

meaning that the next version is the next repeat, the next version will always gain more 'upgrades' which now leads to the question

Is this timeline self-aware and strives to become the best/perfect timeline?

but honestly idk man i never slept for like 2 days now i might spout nonsense :threat:

neat theory, but i feel like u can say this to about any game with continues updates (like minecraft for an example) they just wanna expand on the game's content for fun and wanna make people playing more then under 10 times maybe. i do kinda like to think of theories like this tho, it would be interesting if they added a feature to techno hill that depending on how quick u finish green flower zone it makes it more alive looking, maybe even more zones with that kinda feature, almost like that day/night cycle mod ya know?

neat theory, but i feel like u can say this to about any game with continues updates (like minecraft for an example) they just wanna expand on the game's content for fun and wanna make people playing more then under 10 times maybe. i do kinda like to think of theories like this tho, it would be interesting if they added a feature to techno hill that depending on how quick u finish green flower zone it makes it more alive looking, maybe even more zones with that kinda feature, almost like that day/night cycle mod ya know?
Yeah, that does sound pretty cool.
all of these versions in the game are different iterations of the original/prime universe which was SRB1. I never played 1 but if it was ended completely without much loose ends then that would mean SRB2 is an entire alternate universe running on an idea which was 'what if SRB1's story never ended there?"

now we go over "I'm pretty sure it started when I noticed that the blue star emblem in 2.2 THZ1 was in a patch of green grass, high up. Remember 2.0? That THZ1 had green grass. The chemicals got so bad most of the grass was killed and turned brown."

now my newer theory is that the versions are just one timeline that has loops with each adding, polishing, and replacing the world with new/reworked stuff.

meaning that the next version is the next repeat, the next version will always gain more 'upgrades' which now leads to the question

Is this timeline self-aware and strives to become the best/perfect timeline?

but honestly idk man i never slept for like 2 days now i might spout nonsense :threat:
This is big brain ti- (please get some sleep)
Obviously, I was never around for SRB1, so I usually fail to acknowledge its existence. :')
pretty sure theres no lore related thing about the map changes, its just adding better appearances and giving it a more 'accurate' look to what the developers were trying to create :worry:
I know. It was just a weird idea.

I know. It was just a weird idea.
it was still an interesting idea nonetheless

This is big brain ti- (please get some sleep)
Obviously, I was never around for SRB1, so I usually fail to acknowledge its existence. :')
yes i got sleep now (2 hrs im r e c h a r g e d and ready to suffer reading the wiki to make maps again)
srb1 was, i'm not gonna sugarcoat it, a bad sonic game--especially looking back at it now

yes i got sleep now (2 hrs im r e c h a r g e d and ready to suffer reading the wiki to make maps again)
srb1 was, i'm not gonna sugarcoat it, a bad sonic game--especially looking back at it now
G o o d.
And from what I've seen in SRB2 The Past, I agree. The 2.1 remake isn't too much better, but it's...something, I guess.

I think of it more in the sense of a continual series of retcons. SRB2's main campaign is a story about a single adventure, not something that's been happening on repeat for decades or anything. Each major update brings with it improvements that enhance the experience, adding in new details and changing up old ones. That comes with it new additions and changes to the story as well. As such, the way I see it is it is to be assumed that canonically it "always was" the way it is in whatever the most up to date version is, the same as nearly any other game that gets a major overhaul update. (Final Fantasy XIV being the only noteworthy exception I can think of off the top of my head)

I don't believe in that but i like to think that some of the levels in the future or past looked/will look like other versions. For example, techno hill act 1 provably used to look like the demos at some point, industrialized but not too polluted. Or that red volcano had way more activity a long time ago.

I don't believe in that but i like to think that some of the levels in the future or past looked/will look like other versions. For example, techno hill act 1 provably used to look like the demos at some point, industrialized but not too polluted. Or that red volcano had way more activity a long time ago.
That's kinda what I meant, but the way I worded it was terrible and bad. :dramahog:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back