SRB2 in resolutions higher than 1080p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zubat

GFZ (WIP) theme enthusiast
I know that SRB2 can be played in 1080p, which is 1920x1080 (2.1 megapixels). 2K resolution is 2048x1152 (2.4 megapixels), just barely sharper 1080p and about the same aspect ratio. I understand that any resolution higher than 1080p isn't really necessary, but I'd love to know if SRB2 be played in 2K or higher resolution, and if it's possible, native or upscaled?

I mean, the Doom Engine was modified so that it could be played in resolutions higher than 640x400, and given that SRB2 was based on Doom in the first place, shouldn't it be possible to play in any resolution? If not, how difficult would the writing the code to make SRB2 functional above 1080p?

As a side note concerning screen resolutions, I do remember one time I played in 1136x900, and there was a huge diagonal dark line through the screen, cutting it in triangles but not obscuring anything. I only played it in that resolution once, and never did it again. It was a long time ago, and I'm pretty sure that bug was fixed.

Last edited:
1920x1200 is the largest resolution supported natively by the game. Increasing that limit would be possible, but I believe it'd take more than simply increasing the MAXVIDWIDTH/MAXVIDHEIGHT constants to make everything work properly. It's also not really a good idea as far as memory usage is concerned, as (at least in the software renderer's case) there are a lot of statically-allocated arrays that use them, taking up the memory even if the game isn't running in that resolution.

That said, the SDL2 builds' fullscreen mode should upscale to higher resolutions properly. It's not native rendering or anything, so it probably has nothing to do with your question, but the game shouldn't freak out about a resolution that high.

There's more work to it than simply changing some constants, due to how the cos/sin lookup tables work. The maximum width dimension is 2048 due to those tables, which restrains us to the 1920 family as an upper bound.

A refactoring of the finesin/finecos macros would lift this restriction, but it's a bit of work and may result in behavior inconsistency with previous versions of srb2.

When I get a new monitor (currently saving up for one, which sparked my question in the first place), I'll see what SDL2 does for me. Thanks for the input!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back