.srb2 Folder Error When Launching SRB2 on Mint 21

Neigdoig

As the title suggests, I have an error where when I try to launch the game, it will expect that the game folder be somewhere that isn't ~/.srb2 on Linux Mint 21 (Cinnamon Desktop), though I have the .srb2 folder already made. The game doesn't seem to find it for whatever reason, so I would like some help with that.

Have you tried running the game with strace to see where it expects to have its directory? (I've never used strace personally though.) I've also tried to peek in the source code, but it's kinda messy and I'm not an expert in C. I do see references both to the relative path of SRB2's execution directory (. in the srb2path and srb2home variables) and to the absolute home directory of the user on Unix-like systems (the game even has code to print an error if $HOME isn't defined when starting the game on Unix-like systems, although I don't know if this code is actually run). If SRB2 does access an absolute directory in addition to its working directory, you can always symlink that additional directory to, or (maybe even better in this case) create a hard link at, ~/.srb2.
You can also try running the Windows version of SRB2 in Wine. SRB2 doesn't use advanced graphics or anything, and it was originally designed for Windows, so you should have no problems running it with Wine.

I'm on the Master branch, not the next branch (I should've specified which branch I'm in). Also, I've never heard of Strace. I know it expects the assets in a Wine prefix, but why would it want me to do that?

I'm on the Master branch, not the next branch (I should've specified which branch I'm in). Also, I've never heard of Strace. I know it expects the assets in a Wine prefix, but why would it want me to do that?
The 'next' branch is just the default branch, this is why I've browsed it. I suggest you have a look at strace, they have examples on their website and I also gave you the link to their Unix man page. I have no idea where SRB2 expects its directory to be on Unix-like systems, and AFAIK it's not compiled with Winelib so it shouldn't be looking for a Wine prefix. Maybe STJr could provide some input on this, but I think the best thing for you would be to try running the compiled game with strace and tracing which system calls SRB2 calls, so you would see exactly what files and directories it creates or tries to access. You could also post your strace output along with SRB2's own logs so STJr could help you even more. I've never delved deeply into the source code of SRB2 and never tried to run it on a Unix-like operating system myself, so this is all the help I can provide you now. (Btw you have the same confusion that I had regarding code tags, check this out: https://mb.srb2.org/help/bb-codes/ There is both code and icode tags.)

I had already solved the problem with a temporary fix: just putting the assets and data in a different directory, and not having to deal with the Wine Prefix nonsense until I could get this fixed. I don't have the mental fortitude to learn Strace right now, and I'll get it once I'm not stressed.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back