SRB2 Doom Builder help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake

I'm new to level editing, and while I've been following this guide, there are still a few things I am stuck on:

a) I'm trying to make a flat waterfall similar to the ones found in GFZ2, but as shown in the second screenshot, I'm stumped on how to make the underwater texture back to GFZROCK.

wtrfall1.jpg

wtrfall2.jpg

b) Simply put, how do I place things on floating platforms?

1. The waterfall itself should be a water block, not a texture.
2. I'm fairly certain SRB2 Doom builder just has a little "Z Offset" box, use that.

Draykon said:
1. The waterfall itself should be a water block, not a texture.

Once I do that, it looks perfectly normal at first, but when I enter the water, I see this:

wtrfall3.jpg

I'm able to walk through it but it doesn't act like a water block inside. How do I get rid of it?

2. I'm fairly certain SRB2 Doom builder just has a little "Z Offset" box, use that.

I just found that the "Z position" of a thing works that way. Thanks.

Erm, I'm not sure what you're doing wrong. It would help if I could get my hands on a test level.

Hmm, either extend the water block to the point that it reaches the floor, or add a second water block there.

I tried the first method, and it worked out. Thanks for the help.

Also, I'll upload it in a sec, at least this portion of the level. The only problem I have left is that there seems to be no texture between the waterfall and the first water block.

EDIT: Here it is. Also, here's a screen of what I'm referring to.

Alright, here's what I changed.

1)Control sector tagging. You only need one linedef for each water block. Don't use all four.

2)In that respect, you only need one blue colormap. You can tag it to all the water sectors.

then (the actual bugfixing part)

3)created a linef 75 (opaque, no sides) waterblock from the floor of the pool (1132) to the top of the pool (1415) in sectors tagged 1 and 3. This creates the lake. As a side note, if you aren't making a waterfall, use lindef 75 instead of 48.

4)Created a lindef 45 (transluscent) block from the ceiling (4096) to the top of the pool (1415) for the waterfall. As another side note, usually random waterfalls from the top of the sector aren't good, but I'll let you figure it out.

Also,

5)put a red spring at the bottom cliff. you really should make a way to get up from down there.

That's it. Just remember, make the pool first, then add the other effects.

-.hack

download the fixed-up wad if I'm talking too much and confusing you.

Actually I was able to get what you said, so I tried the same thing you did and it worked. Thanks a bunch.

There's one thing left (and I noticed this in your revision, too), that when I'm standing against the wall with the waterfall and rotate the camera, some of the textures block the screen. Here is what I'm referring to. What should I do about this?

This is a bug in SRB2 and probably most existing 3d games. The fact is the chase cam stays some distance behind the player. When you're back is facing a wall, the camera can sometimes get stuck. It would either zoom in, skip across it, or render the textures in front of your face. In SRB2's case, it is the third one.

A good way to avoid this is to keep enough space that the player never has to be close enough to a wall for the chase cam to mess up. I'm not sure what the distance is, but I'd recommend a distance greater than 96-128.

Well the thing is, it only happens on this particular wall, the one that has the waterfall right above it. I also checked other levels that have similar waterfalls and I don't see this bug.

Also: More editing troubles, whay. I'm having a lot of trouble trying to set up one FOF over another. I'll upload another test map this time so it'd be easier to see what I might be doing wrong, here.

Anyway, what I'm trying to do is build a tower that has a second story in it. Those two C-shaped floating platforms off to the side are meant to be the walls to the upper story, and above that I was going to place a roof. While it looks fine at first, whenever I try to position them above what I already have made of the tower (which already has one FOF, since I created a corridor), it bugs up; here's an example:

tower1.jpg

tower2.jpg

It's happened before, like when I've tried putting a FOF above a body of water, but I really don't know how to fix this.

Well it is hard to understand what you would like to have but I tried to create what you described.

I placed new control sectors on the right side in a specific order. I think your problem was crossing tagged sectors which you shouldn't do.

Was THIS what you meant?

Ah, I discovered the reason for the wall bug: I had one extra control sector with a linedef of 48, whereas the first one was 75. So I got rid of it and now it looks normal again.

@ Morph: I had a different design in mind, but what you did was pretty much the sort of thing I was aiming for, so I took note of it and made my own version (basically, this and this). I've yet to make the roof though. Thanks so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back