SRB2 CONTEST: Calling all texture artists!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The individual rocks are far too uniform to work. Rather than jutting each one out equally, try making some appear to extend further, cut a few in half, see how that looks.

Draykon said:
The individual rocks are far too uniform to work. Rather than jutting each one out equally, try making some appear to extend further, cut a few in half, see how that looks.

I feel OK about not making them jut out equally, but not about splitting some in half.

But how does this look now?
ACZWAL077.png

And when tiled to 512x512:
ACZWAL078.png

*Gasp*

Most of my posts today seem to be about improving this same texture!

It still needs a bit more shading, in my opinion. Yes, we can see how perfectly the light reflects off of the rock, but it's not very smooth, and very, very jagged (whereas in real life, the light would gradient somewhat).

The shading isn't necessarily bad (after all, Lava Reef Zone used this style). The problem here is that the centers of each rock are far too flat. You should increase the width of the slanted edges. There's also a very large rock in there that makes the tiling very obvious due to how it repeats. More size variation wouldn't hurt, either... I'd say that when I first saw this, I was more reminded of some kind of futuristic cobblestone flooring, or a wonky beehive.

So would this be any better?
ACZWAL079.png

ACZWAL0710.png

It seems to me like I'm the only person participating in this contest left.

Even if you extend the shading to be a little more like Lava Reef, it will pretty much look just like the MMZ textures, only a different color and slight variation on arrangement. I personally dislike the MMZ textures anyways and think they are unsuitable for use over large areas.

I'd recommend trying something else.

mikesword221 said:
No holes and you might just see that in srb2 1.1.

Are you really sure about that?

Anyway, I've changed the colour of most of the holes, and filled in one of them with a small rock. Here is how it looks:
ACZWAL0711.png

And tiled to 512x512:
ACZWAL0712.png

Is that any better?

There's one area that makes a curve at the bottom, fix that. It makes it look like the rocks were carefully placed..

nitro_the_hedghog said:
There's one area that makes a curve at the bottom, fix that. It makes it look like the rocks were carefully placed..

I fixed that 'curve' you mentioned. But for some reason it looks like it's causing another to appear. Correct me if I'm wrong there.

Here it is now:
ACZWAL0713.png

ACZWAL0714.png

Better?

I can't wait to be finished with this texture, so then I can have a break from it for once...

*sigh*

But that depends on when everyone else is satisfied with how it looks...

mikesword221 said:
If this is for floor it might look different at a angle. Try it in the game and see if it looks better.

It's supposed to be for the walls, but I could try it ingame. I'll post a screen of it in a moment...

Here is the screen I said I would post, which is of this new test level featuring my rock texture for ACZ:
srb20065.png

Is it good? I sort of think it is...

The trapezoid and the on below it seem like they are in that shape on purpose. Make them more natural shaped.

Chaos said:
The trapezoid and the on below it seem like they are in that shape on purpose. Make them more natural shaped.

*Gasp* It's getting harder and harder to finish this texture. Besides, we don't need it too natural, yet I'll see what I can do about it...

I honestly see nothing promising in that texture, while some of the other ones you worked on were. When I look at the wall, I want to see a sandbaked texture (generally used for floors)... But its flat looking rocks which *look* tiled.

My recommendation is to try something entirely different, maybe see if a sandbaked wall actually looks good? Look at Greenflower, Techno Hill, and Castle Eggman textures. The main textures in there weren't really practical, but they set up the core theme of the level and looked good. (CEZ's textures are less of an example because they are modified GFZ walls)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back