• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

SRB2 2006 Level pack REMASTERED!

El-fire

i am a toaster
(im actually going to try to keep this thread alive this time since i have a clearer vision on what i want this project to be)

so me and my sister has been playing the SRB2 06 level pack for awhile and we love it, but when you love something and you experience it enough you start to notice some problems you have with it. why isnt there any global color maps? why does this part of the level have to be so slow and clunky? i feel like there should be shadows here. where did the glow in this water go? didnt they say they were going to make the goal ring mod work with this? well since the original porter isnt going to do anything about these (since ya know they're banned idk for what reason) ive decided to actually try to make these updates myself since it says open assets so i think im good to do this. at first it started as adding colormaps to levels and removing mandatory spin gaps and adding more ways to back track but ive now wanted to do more like replace parts of levels that stunk with more interesting sections and maybe touch up the visuals a bit. here are the updates ive made so far.

Wave Ocean.
made the water prettier so far. i want to make some of the arches in the level with slopes so they look nicer and maybe do that thing i did with emerald coast to the rooves of those turn sections on the boardwalks.
srb20323.png

srb20023-gif.124322

Dusty Desert.
added the color map i talked about and the heat wave effect so it feels hot and... dusty i guess. i also changed the ball pushing puzzle with ball ROLLING puzzles instead since i think its more fun. i would like to touch up the visuals of this one too mainly in the temple section i feel like it could use some more stuff maybe idk. just assume going forward i wanna touch up the visuals in every level so i dont have to repeat this.
srb20024-gif.124324
srb20025-gif.124325

White Acropolis
all ive done so far is add the color map and those back tracking things ive mentioned. i did changed the breakable ice at the very end to be broken upon touch since you are thrown at it in a spinball but it doesnt work with every character so its fine.
srb20324.png

Crisis City
same was White Acropolis, just a color map and back tracking but i do want to change to two paths at the first path split to be more interesting and faster. i would like to change the right side to not use bobbing platforms since it messes up your jump if you use a character with a second jump action. it makes your second jump action unusable if you jump from the platform as its going up so i wanna change them to just standard moving platforms. the lava will move with them so it will still look like the lava is carrying them. idk what to do about the left path other than remove that scaffolding setup its so slow to platform up.
srb20026-gif.124330

Flame Core.
you know the drill. i shouldve said earlier that ive only just started making big level edits so yeah the first two levels are going to have more interesting stuff and more screenshots. im just writing this as i go so oh well! not sure what i want to do with this level other than fix some of the back tracking paths they look too intrusive to me. oh yeah i did make the lava glow in the dark section so its a little easier to see the shape of the platforms and know what not to touch... the lava dont touch that its hot.
srb20027-gif.124331
srb20326.png

Radical Train.
finally going to show ya that backtracking thing ive been talking about since i didnt do much yet. basically if theres a one way door its now a two way door and if you enter the area in a more odd way ive made a new door or just spring you back up. in this case i made a new door that leads you out of that tunnel. you cant go back through the tunnel you have to enter the train again but ye! i did this mostly for Takis cause i was a bit hyper fixated on him for a bit and i loved beating as many levels as i could with him but with this level pack its almost impossible without ways to actually go back so ye!
srb20028-gif.124333

Tropical Jungle.
i do want to change the colorpalette i first gave this i think its too much of a cooler color i think i want it to be a little warmer but not too warm just something that makes it look less blue i guess.
srb20327.png

Kingdom Valley.
ok i did actually do more with this stage so i added a unused rain effect in the last portion of the level i found. it now activates when you run into that area and deactivates when you leave. idk if it was in the og level pack and it was just removed in the port but i think its fine to add back in. i also added back the glowing water since i thought that was cool until SRB2 updated and broke it (seriously theres so many levels with glowing stuff that is now just broken now like the lava in Tortured planet I MISS THE GLOWING LAVA BRING IT BACK!)
srb20328.png
srb20029-gif.124338
srb20030-gif.124339
(omg the color palette in these gifs looks terrible i swear thats not what they look like in game! at least in openGL. i also still dont know why i cant insert gif's normally and have to use links instead)

Aquatic Base.
so far i added back this unused sky box i found. thought it worked well with the windows at the beginning. i think i want to add more windows so you can see it more.
srb20329.png

i would like to finish this and hopefully post it as a addon on here so im not the only one enjoying the changes. i did read the rules a few times but i may be stupid or i skimmed through it but i couldnt find anything about posting other peoples level packs with edits if you cant ask the og uploader either because they're banned or because the og og creator is unknown on where they are. so i kinda hope you guys can tell me if its ok to make something like this and post it. i shared some screenshots when i was just making colormap edits to the discord and they said its ok to make but it was kinda vague if i could post it as a mod at least to me. i do know that im going to work on one map at a time starting with Wave ocean. as i said im going to be touching up the visuals more so hopefully that goes well. im not going to work on this all the time im just going to work on it when i have nothing better to do or i feel like it so theres probably not going to be constant updates but that doesnt mean im making it go on hiatus like i did with the other threads (sorry about those btw i would like to come back to them someday though) i do want to keep working on this its kinda fun getting to touch up a map pack i love (and also seeing how messy some of the levels were made behind the scenes though actually that parts a little annoying) and i am learning alot. it does suck that i have to use Zone builder instead of ultimate i know about converting levels to UDMF but ive heard there can also be some problems with doing that and i dont want to deal with that so i rather just stick with zone builder even if its not as cool as ultimate zone builder. anyway i think its time to wrap this first message up ive been blabbering alot. i hope y'all enjoy this and i hope im not breaking any rules im sorry if i am ill stop if so im just really bad at reading. k bye!

Attachments

• srb20023.gif
    4.5 MB · Views: 346
  • srb20030.gif
    6.8 MB · Views: 259
  • srb20029.gif
    7.1 MB · Views: 251
  • srb20028.gif
    10.8 MB · Views: 258
  • srb20027.gif
    3.1 MB · Views: 253
  • srb20026.gif
    4.5 MB · Views: 266
  • srb20025.gif
    21.7 MB · Views: 325
  • srb20024.gif
    3.5 MB · Views: 330
Looks pretty interesting and would make this level pack a better experience
Keep up the good work!

With the original author of this pack banned from the forum, it would be great to see a remastered version of this (utilizing all of the latest mapping tools and tech.) make an appearance.

Everything looks good so far but be reminded of the fact that OpenGL only supports a subset of what the Software renderer can do now, so some effects might be more difficult if 1-to-1 compatibility is needed.

i have renamed the project to 06 level pack remastered because someone reminded me that word exists and it fits the project better than edits i think. also it just sounds cooler.
Post automatically merged:

alright im back with another update! im tackling these levels one at a time so its easier on me so ive started the bigger changes on Wave Ocean. i dont think im going to do much level design changes with this level its a pretty good first level theres no sections i dont really like so i think its just going to be visual improvements for now.

ive added alot more slopes to the main playing area but also the background stuff to give it more shape.
srb20338.png
srb20337.png
srb20336.png
srb20330.png

ive made all breakable boxes break into wood particles. this will be applied to every level with breakable boxes going forward.
srb20037-gif.124533

ive added a grass mid texture to everywhere theres grass of course.
srb20331.png

im also wanting to add shadows to places i feel that could need them. mostly tall somewhat enclosed areas not only does it look cool but i think it helps give it depth.
srb20332.png
srb20333.png
srb20335.png

made this area smoother while still being a little bumpy.
srb20038-gif.124540

same with this area except this area didnt have slopes at all at first just bumpy stairs so now they're slopes!
srb20039-gif.124541

improved this waterfall area alot i think. i added ambient sounds and now the water actually carrys you away if you enter it. dont go splashing in running water. but where is it coming from???
srb20040-gif.124542

thats pretty much all ive done for now. i havent really started on the mach speed section yet im not sure what i want to do with that one besides do the usual add grass midtexture and add more slopes to background walls but i kinda wanna do more idk maybe ill think about it after i do those things i just said. im kinda surprised by all the positive reception this has gotten so i guess i am allowed to do this thank god i didnt want to wake up to a ban or something. thank you all for the kind words and ye k bye!

Attachments

• srb20040.gif
    3.6 MB · Views: 91
  • srb20039.gif
    10.3 MB · Views: 91
  • srb20038.gif
    5.8 MB · Views: 90
  • srb20037.gif
    5.9 MB · Views: 99
Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back