SP Votes OLDC 2021 Round 1 Roger

Rogerregorroger

Animator
✨ Collaborator ✨
Welp, here we go

1. Ridge Rapids
Hey, I'm a simple man, I like simple things. Got a nice level of freedom, great pace, fun set pieces, I'm just haivng a good time.
Even if it might be basic, maybe. And congrats on being the one time a switch to 2d in the middle of a level isn't annoying me.

2. Hollow Hill
Easily going to be the winner this round. Great music, great atmosphere, despite not being a big fan of either spooky or snow levels, the nice purples really work here.
Poly objects, an epic slope. Custom enemies, great level design, good stuff.
But I knock you one rank lower for the lake part, with the "climb to the top, fall and you have to start all over" thing, especially since it took me a while to find the spring to escape the lake, being submerged. Other then that, top notch.

3. Teal Tundra
I kinda like that, the not quite snow level.
Uh, another one by the "I like simple things" label. Fun to run trough, busy enough to remain sharp but never breaking hte pace. Simple but effective. Maybe the empty spaces feel a bit too pointless.

4.Falcon Emissionary
Aww, wish I could rate this higher, there's great stuff here, the intense atmospphere. I like airship levels. (Tough with a castle theme in it? Weird.)
Great atmosphere with the storm. Bit challenging but keeps the pace.
Very close to be great. But I'm missing a sense of direction. Too often I hit a dead stop where I'm lost, or start second guessing myself whether I'm going the right way. Which is fine if the level's supposed to be a heavy exploring stage, but this stage feels it should keep the speed and intensity going.
Awesome looking organic platform at one point. Scenery is nice. But yeah, missing a sense of direction sometimes. Shame.

5. Lava temple
Ah, Rayman 2 again. Heh, evil Murphy, nice.
The running ball puzzles are kinda neat. Lot of pathways in this level. Kinda hard to see where you're able to climb tough, andd I got confused where to go a few times. Great opening door animation.

6. Koopa Kastle
Mario in my Sonic game? Grr.
Still, fun level design, really reminds me of Mario 3d land/ 3d world levels with the series of small challenge rooms, it's fun.
And the boss twist.
Oof, but boss has some nastyknock back power.

7.Ante Station
Immensly impressive, the special effects and new tricks you pull off in this stage, there's many things I've never seen before in SRB2. Great mirror effects.
Also cool to have these mirrors only display a message when playing in Open GL but not Software, that's neat.
Not a huge fan of the "Touch the ground, teleport to the top" gimick tough, bit confusing. Also breaking the camera rule a few times by suddenly switching the 2d camera to the other perspective. Level's super hectic and sometimes feels more like a tech demo then an actual level. 2d platforming on 3d moving platforms? Madness. Especiallly since Sonic doesn't move along.
Yeah, super impressive effects and tricks, but not too fun to play, to be honest.

8. Zaxel's thunder yard.
Strong Game gear vibes with this one, the music, the textures, even the more tight level design at the start.
Huge, as usual. Afraid I got lost and sometimes ended up running in the wrong direction for a while. Pfft.
Still, kinda fun, and some intense platforming. And a sense of humor.
Tough putting a checkpoint in the super cool ending was kinda nasty, pushing the joke from "haha, okay you got me" to "Now you're just irritating me" levels.
Oh well, troll's a troll I guess.

9. Fort Sunset
Super basic but fun in it's simplisity. Atmosphere and custom items are nice.

10. Mercury mines
Not much to say. Nice level. Interesting gimmick. Feels a bit barren and empty at times, but otherwise fine level.

11. Music Mash
Oof, not making it easy on yourself with the busy crazy visuals huh?
Again, tons of great tricks and unique things I never seen before. Some technically very impressive things, the falling blocks, the moving instruments.
Great ideas in there.
But boy, the unrelenting visual violence makes it hard to appreciate it, or allows me to focus on solving the puzzles or figuring out what to do and where to go.
I'd really love to see you add your technical tricks and creative level designs and gimmicks in a more conventional looking level. Now there's just too much visual overload, my brain freaks out.

12. Drenched Dam
Aw, another level with the potnetial to score high but shooting itself in the foot. Great music, great idea to do a metal Sonic race. I like the envirement, a dam's a great setting, it looks nice.
But then, despite the frantic music and the fact it's a race level, the level design is super claustrophobic, linair and filled with invisible walls.
Darn shame the biggest challenge is figuring out what I'm allowed to do, rather then enjoying the race.

13. Abyss Caverns
Yeah, I like it, fun easy level to run trough. Little flat and empty tough, but some nice bits.

14. Blizzard Bastion
Hmm, the grey colortone makes everything washed out, that's a shame.
Guess that's supposed to be the blizzard. Makes it harder to see things inthe level tough.
I liked the idea of the glass maze, never seen that before. But it was a pain to get trough.
Badniks are super annoying there too.
Crushing blocks as jump launchers? Oof, that was intense.
Fine level I guess, but it irritates me in a lot of little ways.

15: Bombastic Beach
Nothing particular wrong with, it was fun while it lasted. Too bad it lasted 20 seconds. Heh.
Nice palm trees.

16. Emerald Glade
Alas, each competition needs a last entree.
I guess I just don't really know what to do with this level. Some interesting ideas as obstacles, but it feels kinda weird, a grass field with some shapes on it for emerald hunting.
Making a Emerald hunt stage definitly requires some interesting level design or visuals to make it worth while. Not the best idea for a starter level.
Hope you do better next time.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back