Sonic's "spin attack's" color location

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!
I just registered in there, so I hope you don't mind if this is in wrong section.

I have own SRB2 project what's called "Mufik the Hedgehog". It's actually a little and childish parody about Sonic the Hedgehog. Now what I need to do is to find Sonic's spin attack color's location. All I know is that it is hardcoded inside the .exe, because in sonic.plr I couldn't find the S_SKIN lump. I just need to replace the blue color with brown. I have managed to replace Sonic's sprites with my own character's sprites by editing the SRB2.EXE in hex editor so it should be easy if I just know the color's location.

ps. I know that my English is bad.

Thanks.
-Eemil

EDIT:
I saw that there was edit help section, but now I found that there isn't delete option to delete posts.

Last edited:
That's just what I meant. Only problem is that I can't find Sonic's S_SKIN, where prefcolor is. Tails' and Knuckles' one is in their .plr files, but Sonic's should be in the main EXE, if I am right.

Yep, Sonic's S_SKIN is buried in SRB2's source code.

And to save you time searching through that, it's actually found in "r_things.c".

Yep, Sonic's S_SKIN is buried in SRB2's source code.

And to save you time searching through that, it's actually found in "r_things.c".

Yeah, I found word r_things.c inside the main exe. There are words like "prefcolor" and "spinitem" but there isn't any numbers like "prefcolor = 7" (7 means blue). Any ideas? If no, I probably need to give up this thing. Bad thing is, that blue color wont suit my character at all.. But I dont want to recompile SRB2 via source code.

There are words like "prefcolor" and "spinitem" but there isn't any numbers like "prefcolor = 7" (7 means blue)

Code:
[B]strcpy(skin->prefcolor, "7");[/B]

There you go - that's what you should be looking for. (Well, at least one of them, just to give you an idea)

Last edited:
Code:
[B]strcpy(skin->prefcolor, "7");[/B]

There you go - that's what you should be looking for. (Well, at least one of them, just to give you an idea)

Yep, that string exist in source code but I cant find that string in main exe. Maybe it is someway in hexadecimal? So there is not any hope?

That's because a compiled program is not made up of human-readable source code ;P
Still, there are many strings, what are just copied from source. Ex. Cutscenes texts and menu texts + characters names.

And its just strange why didnt Sonic Team Junior include Sonic's S_SKIN in sonic.plr like Knux and Tails.
And I dont want to add another character. I just want to replace Sonic with my sprites.

Last edited:
Maybe a little OT but I just remember that I started this project years ago, and then my computer broke up. About 2 years later, I managed to rescue my project from my broken computer's hard drive. I just realized that I am using version 1.9.4! Is there any way to play same servers which are in v2.0.6? Also, it is impossible to get my modded SRB2.SRB or sonic.plr to work in 2.0.6. Besides, I need to modify that 2.0.6 SRB2.exe with hex editor again... :(
Any ideas?
-Eemil

And its just strange why didnt Sonic Team Junior include Sonic's S_SKIN in sonic.plr like Knux and Tails.

There's a good reason for that - Sonic's S_SKIN settings are set as the default S_SKIN settings for any character; i.e, if you don't set something for any of the wide range of S_SKIN parameters for a custom character, the game will just get the character to use whatever Sonic uses for those parameters instead.

I just realized that I am using version 1.9.4! Is there any way to play same servers which are in v2.0.6?

Only if you're actually using 2.0.6 itself can you play those servers, since for obvious reasons (or at least, they should be obvious) 1.09.4 and 2.0.6 are not compatible with each other in that way.

Also, it is impossible to get my modded SRB2.SRB or sonic.plr to work in 2.0.6. Besides, I need to modify that 2.0.6 SRB2.exe with hex editor again... :(
Any ideas?

SRB2 has a built-in MD5 checker to make sure the files you're using are the real deal - that's why.

Last edited:
There's a good reason for that - Sonic's S_SKIN settings are set as the default S_SKIN settings for any character; i.e, if you don't set something for any of the wide range of S_SKIN parameters for a custom character, the game will just get the character to use whatever Sonic uses for those parameters instead.

Only if you're actually using 2.0.6 itself can you play those servers, since for obvious reasons (or at least, they should be obvious) 1.09.4 and 2.0.6 are not compatible with each other in that way.

SRB2 has a built-in MD5 checker to make sure the files you're using are the real deal - that's why.
But as I said, you can cheat that checker, if you modify the exe's "wanted" hexadecimals with your "found" ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back