Sonic Unleashed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dark Warrior said:
It's hardly an outrage, and giving a low score is not "biased". I don't know where you come up with that. they may disagree with you, but that doesn't automatically make their opinion biased. I really do wish people would stop slapping that label on reviewers in general because they don't like the way the review went. You certainly wouldn't be saying it's biased if they gave it a much higher score than it deserved, would you?

QFT, because I'm getting sick of all the fanboy crying.

Chisuun said:
Dark Warrior said:
It's hardly an outrage, and giving a low score is not "biased". I don't know where you come up with that. they may disagree with you, but that doesn't automatically make their opinion biased. I really do wish people would stop slapping that label on reviewers in general because they don't like the way the review went. You certainly wouldn't be saying it's biased if they gave it a much higher score than it deserved, would you?

QFT, because I'm getting sick of all the fanboy crying.

Who said we're crying.

I could care less,and just because certain people think its biased doesn't mean they're wrong.Its there opinion.

AGAIN I do not own the 360 version,but the 360 version is an upgrade from the wii.....so how does the wii get a higher score?

Have fun choosing Wii music over Unleashed. :P

Autosaver said:
AGAIN I do not own the 360 version,but the 360 version is an upgrade from the wii.....so how does the wii get a higher score?

Wii levels by Dimps = Better level design.

Autosaver said:
Who said we're crying.

I should change that to moping, it's more accurate.

Autosaver said:
I could care less,and just because certain people think its biased doesn't mean they're wrong. Its there opinion.

"I could care less" makes perfect sense, but the last part of that sentence found its way into the wagon of sentences that lost all meaning.

Autosaver said:
Autosaver said:
AGAIN I do not own the 360 version, but the 360 version is an upgrade from the wii.....so how does the wii get a higher score?
Its there opinion.

Autosaver said:
Have fun choosing Wii music over Unleashed. :P

Now that's just a stupid insult.

Thats an Insult....? :P

Wait...does biased mean the same thing as under-rated,if its not then I just think its under-rated.:p

If a game was ported,with extra levels,more extras,better graphics.
Wouldn't you like it more?

Waiiiiit.....do you even have the game?

Biased means that just because of the presence of a certain character, franchise, gimmick, or other technique; they gave it a high or low score.

If those levels were failure incarnate, then no, I wouldn't like the game better. I'd just have more things to insult. I myself don't have the game.

Autosaver said:
Thats an Insult....? :P

It looked like one with the way it's typed up.

Autosaver said:
Wait...does biased mean the same thing as under-rated,if its not then I just think its under-rated.:p

No, it does not. I'm bad at explaining things like this, so I'll leave that to someone else. Just know that it's not.

EDIT: ^SonicMaster^

Autosaver said:
If a game was ported,with extra levels,more extras,better graphics.
Wouldn't you like it more?

It depends on whether that game made a smooth transition. Sonic Genesis could've had more levels, extras and better graphics (okay, sprites), but I still would've hated it for its crappy gameplay

Autosaver said:
Waiiiiit.....do you even have the game?

No, but I've played the Wii version. I thought Daytime was fun (if not short) and Nighttime was fun at first, but quickly got repetitive.

^_^
Ok.....now that I found out what biased means I can tell other fans to shut up...at the sega forums.
There saying they hate IGN forever now because of this rating. O_o

Maybe better online play?

just moderate stages like the old school style, more platforms, turn down the speed and you have a kick-butt game.

TrueTenguMan said:

just moderate stages like the old school style, more platforms, turn down the speed and you have a kick-butt game.

Ign hates going slow......

Thats one of the reasons why they hated Werehog-platforming-hub world

Autosaver said:
TrueTenguMan said:

Ign hates going slow......

Thats one of the reasons why they hated Werehog-platforming-hub world

IGN has some acceptable articles when it comes to rating but they blam sonic like he wanted to break his legs.

I understand that Were-sonic is not one of his strong points, but then if they complain about something as childish as a new transformation for sonic then go play shadow the hedghog or next-gen sonic.

what would of been smart for sega though...was to make another sonic adventure. They have the creative intelect to make some good stories right?

I had previously tried to maintain some sort of impression that the critics are not that biased, just skeptical by their nature as critics, but both IGN and Gamespot reviews exhibit something that is generally very bad practice on reviewing.

A critic should state the problems about a game without sugarcoating it (taking a major problem and shrugging it off) or dramatizing it (blowing it out of proportion). They should also mention who the game should appeal to, and why.

IGN's Wii review may have exhibited a huge amount dramatic whining, but the critic actually did stop and make the objective statement that the Werehog sections actually played okay, but didn't mesh with the rest of the game.

The 360 review seemed to tell the story of a fan's crushed hopes, about how he was okay with the daytime stages, but the werehog shattered it and the adventure fields smothered what hope was left for the game. The fact that the video review paused every few minutes to say "this game is horrible" or "DONT BUY IT" really doesn't help.

Gamespot seems to have ignored Unleashed almost entirely aside from E3 until now. They finally have a review up where they state legitimate issues but then glorify the problems until they overwhelm both themselves and the reader... so much so that the game has a 3.5/10 in contrast to 06's 4/10...

I don't know if you call that bias, but I do call it bad practice to glorify issues and to make a heavy use of declarations that either rely entirely on the individual like "there is no fun to be had", or are judgmental in nature without giving any helpful explanations why "this game is horrible" "its games like these that make game critics want to consider a new profession".

Furthermore, if the reason they spoke that way was because of their personal opinions of Sonic, then the tone of the articles is biased. If I detect a heavily biased tone in an article, it is usually a turn-off for me, usually causing me to want to ignore everything they said.

I think I did manage to pick out some legit issues from all the complaining though...

-*-Controls aren't entirely responsive
-*-Werehog levels are long and don't mesh well with the game's other play modes
-*-Fighting system is somewhat simplistic
-*-Subquests are repetitive in nature
-*-Camera still hinders the player in some of the more dangerous areas

This is the Wii version

*Controls responsive?Not in the Wii version*Unless your using the crappy wiiremote/nunchuk combo then screw the controls. XD
*Sub quests repetitive? Well it does have the same ones but in differen't areas,and the layout is usually differen't or has extended areas.*Thats a + Extended levels!*
*Errr....No camera problems in the Wii version for me..

Autosaver said:
This is the Wii version

*Controls responsive?Not in the Wii version*Unless your using the crappy wiiremote/nunchuk combo then screw the controls. XD
*Sub quests repetitive? Well it does have the same ones but in differen't areas,and the layout is usually differen't or has extended areas.*Thats a + Extended levels!*
*Errr....No camera problems in the Wii version for me..

I had a feeling the Wii versoin would be a little more fun.
I never had my doubts on the game for this system. I felt bad though that I was not as good on the 360.

But when you think about it....don't you think that they kinda took a chance on this one on purpose?

No, I think they just goofed up. It's not uncommon that SEGA would do that, y'know.

Blue Warrior said:
No, I think they just goofed up. It's not uncommon that SEGA would do that, y'know.
Eh goofed up on the 360 version? Aw well... At least I enjoy the Wii version, however I still find the IGN review to be a dissapointment. I mean.... As much as I hate to admit it: I thought the 360 would be the best version of the game. (But then maybe, just maybe, the PS3 version might have something good going for it? *Crosses fingers.*) They're calling elements in the game problems? Bull.

Problems they listed:
-Hub worlds are pretty much "useless" and change the pace of the game.
(Ahem. Do you honestly think for a second that watching Sonic run around for hours would still be fun? I don't think so....)
-Werehog is slow...
(Hrm... Only problem in Werehog's movement for 360.... Werehog is really fast in the Wii version. Er.... At least... faster than 360 Werehog...)
-Camera problems....
(Sigh... This again?)
-Oh! Werehog's got stretchy arms!
(Oh my... GOD! It's a cartoon for Pete's sake! Must you make fun of those killer arms?)

^ Only problems I saw IGN talk about.... Sure they aren't a little biased?
The only detail different from the IGN review from Gamespot(from what I remember):

-Unresponsive controls....
(Hey! Guess what?! There's a topic about this on SEGA! It tells you to push the buttons harder! Tapping the button won't help much...)

Eh heh.... Not really sure how to take "proffesional" reviewers anymore... I mean, everybody's got to be a critic about Sonic (in particular)...

The positive thing I see in this is that Sonic Team's leadership expected this reaction. They knew it was going to have a mixed reception because of the Werehog, but they added that to appeal to newer fans. We all know how splintered the Sonic fandom has become, but the fact that they anticipated their move to be one that will cause some controversy shows that they do have good judgment.

One other thing is that the new lead is not planning on exerting unwanted control over branches making the spinoffs (like the storybook series), which means that the seperate development branches can work unimpeded by the other and bring us something different.

Couple that with the fact that the Werehog was a one-time gimmick like Heroes switching and Shadow's multiple endings, I don't think the critic sites will really be that much of a problem. I don't think there will ever be a Sonic game that will be so well received as the old ones and will get consistently good press, but I think Sonic Team is on the right track now.

Sonic's Sentry Protector said:
-Hub worlds are pretty much "useless" and change the pace of the game.
(Ahem. Do you honestly think for a second that watching Sonic run around for hours would still be fun? I don't think so....)
That is not the problem, if the change is too dramatic, then it hurts the game. I like what I've seen of the Werehog, and I liked the Adventure Fields in SA, but its usually not a good idea to alternate two different genres as it makes the game's pacing a little bit more clunky. If the hub worlds could be completed relatively quickly and the Werehog to Sonic ratio was a little bit more fair, SU would be in a pretty good shape.

Review sites should, in most cases, not excuse a fault... but they need to be frank and mostly objective (unless its an editorial) without going too far one way or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back