Sonic The Hedgehog movie 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

speed2411

Speed2411
You read the title right. Sonic might be getting a new movie in 2016. It is supposedly going to be a mixture of live action and animation.

I am willing to give Sonic Boom a chance, but the movie is not sounding that good... What's your guys thoughts on this?

First off, the movie most likely isn't about Sonic Boom.

Now that we have that bit out of the way... this is the thing that made another person and I start losing hope in the series. First it started out with the Sonic Boom screw ups (bland music, uninteresting combat, poor level design) and now this. Wanna know what else used live action and CG? The Sonic Fan Film. Remember that? How poorly received and criticized it was? Sonic does not blend well with live action. You either make the whole film animation or don't do it at all.

SEGA has poor decision making sometimes. One of my options right now is to just end my experiences with the franchise on Sonic Boom 3DS and then just stick with the fangames, since the fans know what works from playing the games themselves. That'll most likely be a temporary thing until the games actually start doing well, but for now, I'm gonna stop on Boom 3DS. Fangames, ahoy.

It's entirely possible for Sonic to blend well with live action, as long as they do it right.

...which they probably won't.

They rarely get things right on this. I'm surprised they actually tried to make a movie, but... why this format? It'll never be even close to the quality of the OVA.

Remember how in '06 Sonic and his friends looked so odd around realistic (to an extent) humans and other animals? Imagine that only worse. And we get this! Hooray...?

It'll never be even close to the quality of the OVA.

If it can't even approach that level of quality, I doubt anyone will take the Sonic franchise seriously again. *shot by a considerable portion of the fanbase*

I agree with you, though, that far more evil than good can come out of these live-action elements they're introducing. After all, live-action almost certainly means lots of human characters, and have you ever noticed how people started complaining far less about Sonic games' stories when they removed non-Eggman humans from the equation?

So I guess I'm the only one who thought the OVA was great. Besides, we're already nearing that point just for this movie happening in the first place. You don't have to worry about gunshots from the fanbase. Most of them aren't even old enough to legally posses a gun!

Eggman is the only human character that worked at all. Most of the time, they were completely uninteresting (Adventure, Adventure 2, Shadow, part of '06, Unleashed), or they were just completely aggravating and ruined plot ('06, '06, '06, and... '06). And that's just games. What about Sonic X? Or as I like to call it: 'Will These Stupid Humans Go Away So I Can See Sonic Go Fast?' That's probably more accurate. It was also the prime example of how much humans can take away from the overall quality of anything Sonic.

There were many topics on this from this site and many other sites, and all of them ended the same way. From what I have read, it was a rumor, and not a good one. From what I read at least two of the people mentioned working on that movie confirmed not working on it, or something like that. I honestly don't believe this live action movie thing.

(And no, your not the only one, I loved the OVA, in fact the walls of the void storyline will explain some stuff from there, like how metal sonic can telepathically speak with sonic)

First it started out with the Sonic Boom screw ups (bland music, uninteresting combat, poor level design)

The games literally haven't even come out yet. They won't be out for 4 months.

-------------------------------------------

I'm indifferent on the movie, as unless it's really good, it won't interest me much. However, I know that it's mostly following in the footsteps of the "video game series into full-on 3D movies" idea that's been starting lately. Hopefully, both this and the Ratchet and Clank movie will be good, and who knows, we might see a revival of a video game series as a full feature.

I've seen the E3 Wii U game footage. I know how horrible it actually is. The music isn't anything you want to repeatedly listen to, the combat focus was a complete waste of dev time since you just mash Y and something is guaranteed dead, and the level design is basically Unleashed HD except even more linear and almost as bland Unleashed SD.

The game looks on a near finished level, so this is practically inexcusable.

But that's not exactly related to how Sonic Team could manage to ruin a Sonic movie.

I swear to god if this is based on Sonic X and we have a new whiny kid...

Hopefully they do not go that route. I'll probably see it anyway, as even if it turns out bad my parents might drag me along as they more than likely will take my little brother to see it.

So I guess I'm the only one who thought the OVA was great. Besides, we're already nearing that point just for this movie happening in the first place. You don't have to worry about gunshots from the fanbase. Most of them aren't even old enough to legally posses a gun!

Eggman is the only human character that worked at all. Most of the time, they were completely uninteresting (Adventure, Adventure 2, Shadow, part of '06, Unleashed), or they were just completely aggravating and ruined plot ('06, '06, '06, and... '06). And that's just games. What about Sonic X? Or as I like to call it: 'Will These Stupid Humans Go Away So I Can See Sonic Go Fast?' That's probably more accurate. It was also the prime example of how much humans can take away from the overall quality of anything Sonic.

The humans in Unleashed were surprisingly well done, I have to say, but I kinda agree with the rest. Sonic X died for me the minute the writers decided they weren't going to return Sonic and friends back to their home planet after the first season; wasted opportunity. Them replacing the outstanding soundtrack of the Japanese episodes with an obnoxious brass section didn't help either.

The whole "What if my favorite cartoon characters were in my daily routine?" schtick's been beaten to death, and is usually handled poorly. (Unlike live action films involving the Looney Toons.) That said, I'd be happy with it in a Sonic film if the human characters aren't terrible.

To be honest, I liked most of the humans in Sonic X, save for Chris. He's primarily what kinda ruined it for most people. Chris was nothing more than a whiny, unremarkable, emotional, clingy child with attachment problems. Compare him to any other character, even the guy with a fetish for speed, and he's not interesting at all on his own. If the main human representative in a Sonic movie is better than that, I don't see the fanbase imploding on itself, but it will anyway; it always does. *popcorn gif*

Personally I don't judging any.thing till I actually play or see it my self. Yea it sounds silly for a live action type deal the fan thing well its fan and budget is lower and is limited on many things.

It seems like Sony is helping with it, so not like a out of the blue company low bugit company. I saw give it a chance sense it actually will have a budget.

I just can't help but imagine TMNT directed by Michael Bay. Except with Sonic.

I'd only enjoy this movie if it had pointless explosions and bad camera angles. And even then that's only because it'd be laughably awful and not due to any sort of actual quality.

Also, how many people are expecting them to force drama and feelings on you by injuring a character we all most likely will not care about (probably a human)? Place your bets!

I can see it now...starring Shia LeBeouf!

I was going to suggest that the role of Chris go to Ben Stiller. But I like your casting better!

I dunno. Half of the time that efforts involving Sonic are subpar, at least some of the blame is due to Sega rushing things out the door too fast. I've heard that's a possible reason why Sonic Boom really couldn't match its hype at E3 this year, because the higher-ups in charge of such decisions wanted a demo at the event, goddammit.

I can see this movie being enjoyable, even if there are elements are live action. I'm thinking that the story could take place in a CGI-generated otherworldly environment, like that of the Wachowski siblings' stab at Speed Racer. You could have a human character like Sam Speed in Sonic X (the police officer / Formula-1 racecar-driving guy), whose presence in the story would heighten the sense of tension because he approaches Sonic's capabilities and can be an actual threat. I'm not sure if Eggman should be played by an actual actor... He's coexisted around more conventional humans in his cartoonish form in certain games to varying degrees of cohesion, and I think something would be lost in dubbing Mike Pollock's voice over a real-life actor.

I know this is a broad statement for any adaptation, but I'm sure if the right writers were given adequate time to write a good script, I'm sure that they'd turn in something most people could enjoy. Speaking of the writers, just who the hell are these Susser and Robichaux guys anyways? According what I could find, they've mostly done short films and are also obligated to write a live-action Jetsons movie. Why not ask Ian Flynn or some of his cronies at Archie to submit a draft for this? They clearly understand the Sonic franchise, have passion for it (at least that's my impression), and I think they've done some great work for the comic in the last couple of years. I think the recent Worlds Collide special shows that they're entirely capable of writing an entertaining self-contained story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back