Sonic Th: TSC *Its not dead!*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tidbit

An artist of sorts
Heys!
Yeah i know its ben a looooong time since my last topic ( thati wasn't able to find) but any way, I bring Alot of new stuffs for you! i have currently added
====-----=====
A some what working spindash
A working air dash ( soon to be ahoming attack)
and an almost finished Hud :D

heres a screenie
screenshot103.png
access.php

**sorry fo sloppy post made in an hurry

wow, I completely forgot about this (No offense). The screen shot looks nice and I will test it out when I get the free time.

That HUD is too hard to read and Sonic HUDs are supposed to be on the minimalistic side anyway. Plus they're also too close to the edges of the screen.

I dont think that the HUD's are to close to the edges. If you look at earlier sonic games their HUD's are about that close to the edges if not away by a pixel or two. And i am going to change the HUDS italic font...possibly. And remember the game is still being worked on. but either way....the font for game text is being worked and will be added in soon, well i hope at least. Sooo any ways...is any one else going to really download it, instead of looking at the screens?

If you look at earlier sonic games their HUD's are about that close to the edges if not away by a pixel or two.

You have GOT to be joking.

soniccd1.gif

That's not even close to the same amount of padding you're using. Let's see... in that image of Sonic CD I count 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 pixels horizontally, and 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 pixels vertically. Now let's look at your HUD. 1 - oh wait, 0.

Also, your visual design is extremely cluttered. At 1x pixel level, you really have to squint to even be able to read the font. For best readability, generally you should choose a single, plain color for the typeface, give it a sharp drop-shadow, and make sure the font you select is bold yet easily decipherable. You're doing none of those things.

heh...heh, Dont worry i'll fix it up. But any one wanna post some lil HUD creations?

FoxBlitzz said:

Beautiful, neat, clean, simple and pleasant. That is the best of Keep-it-simple-stupid way.

Sometimes I watch some Official Sonic's game videos at YouTube; why do I feel so sick and/or not motivated to play that? ;-)

I actually don't mind the HUD's lack of padding, at least on a TFT monitor. However, displaying it on a television set would obscure it completely.

Anyways, looks fairly good. I just hope you can, y'know, finish it.

I see flaws: Homing doesn't work, and you go too fast with that burst. You can't Spin nor Spindash. You can die outscreen at both the beggining and the end. Enemies don't hurt you, I think. There's no respawn time after your hurt. Live Box is just a Ring Box. You don't a clue if your hurt when you open the Egg Box (it actually hurts you, but you can't see it unless you see your ring counter). The end sign doesn't work; it's just mere decoration.
Otherwise, the controls are good, the gameplay is not bad and there's nice platforming.

Furyhunter said:
I actually don't mind the HUD's lack of padding, at least on a TFT monitor. However, displaying it on a television set would obscure it completely.

The whole point of padding is to separate elements so that they're less cluttered and therefore easier to decipher. In a game, HUD readability is extremely important. That's something you can't just skimp on.

The other thing that HUD padding does is it allows you to read information more easily without having to take your eye off the action, since you won't need to look all the way into the corner. You'll also be able to see any portion of the level over in that corner since it isn't being completely obscured by the HUD graphics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back