Sonic Lost World and Mario & Sonic at the 2014 Olympics Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is he still ADHD sonic from Sonic Colors most of the way through? Because I LOVE that depiction of Sonic. It was both hilarious and very fitting for him, I found. :P
Sonic is still funny, but takes on a more serious/tragic-serious tone.

Also running gag of the game, face insults. I ain't kidding.

So I finished the game.

It's really good! The music, the gameplay, and many other things make this game good! There are the flaws though, like the difficulty spike in some levels. The story is really great, and I was interested all the way through! Sonic Lost World definitely deserves at least an 8 or a 9 in my book.

What did you guys think of it?

The last two zones did a horrible job of safely explaining particular gaming mechanics to the player. Same with the pre-final boss I feel like.

So, I've played through Lost World 3DS. I really enjoyed it. It's definitely a must-have game. The story was great (far better than Colors, imo) with an actual plot and character development. Good graphics and actual 3D levels on the 3DS combined along with new moves help make the gameplay feel very deep and fun to play.

Review:
Sonic Lost World. One controversial game. Eggman isn't the big bad guy throughout the game; the Deadly Six are. Eggman has a comeback at the end, though, so it's not like Eggman doesn't get any spotlights. He's also very prominent in the story throughout the entire game, so yeah. Enough of this, let's get straight to in-depth reviewing.

Story: Fantastic. The story is great! Sonic has flaws. There's misunderstandings between Sonic and Tails (Tails: "No, you don't. You trust Eggman more!"). We see new sides to Eggman's personality (Sonic: "One moment you're contemplating genocide, the next you're saving one of your worst enemies!" Eggman: "I'm a...complicated guy."). Tails is kidnapped midgame, and Amy and Knuckles are presumed dead (Amy: "I---I'm sorry...I ne-never got to say..."), along with Eggman (Eggman: "Nooooo!" Sonic: Egg...man...?") around endgame.

Sonic loves trolling the Deadly Six, in a good way. Yes, in Colors and Generations you see Sonic's cocky attitude, but in those games they were not that greatly written and instead of making Sonic feel like he had an attitude, it was more like he was an annoying cocky bastard who took absolutely nothing seriously. In Lost World, we see Sonic's loneliness (Sonic: "Amy? ...Knuckles? ...anybody?") and anger (Sonic: "Of those ROTTEN, SNEAKY---!") and sorrow (Sonic: "and the whole world's in danger because I did something stupid! You know how much that bites?") from his mistakes and from the Deadly Six's actions (they leech the life from Sonic's world, killing Amy and Knuckles).

The Deadly Six are very fun characters. I like how Zavok messes with Sonic. I like how Zomom twacks Sonic with an oversized sub. I like how Sonic disrespects Zik and Zazz (Zazz: "Are you disrespecting me?" Sonic: "Maybe." Zazz: "I know of the perfect spot to take care of you!" Sonic: "That's funny, because I know of the perfect spot to kick you!"). I love how Sonic simply makes a parody of Zeena's typical teenage personality (Zeena: "The last time we met, you ruined my nail art. Now I have to apply a whole new coat!" Sonic: "Oh my gosh, are you serious? I'm so, so sorry." Zeena: "Oh, in that case..." Sonic: "Oh, sorry, what I meant to say was: I'm so sorry that you have nothing better to do in life.").

Unlike Colors and Generations, the story is filled with action. That's right folks, Sonic and Tails aren't just sitting down or walking and simply talking. They're acting, moving, and fighting, and getting hurt. Action, action, action! You'll have a good time with the story.

Gameplay: Great! Parkour is fun! I love running up, down, and all around walls and walljumping. If you're skilled enough, you can break through some puzzles, (e.g. Frozen Factory Act 3) with parkour easily! Parkour is really fun to use, and Sonic's enhanced moves are fun to use as well. The Multi-Target Homing Attack is a treat, even though sometimes it locks on to things you don't want it to. The Supercharge Homing Attack and the Wind Kick adds a strategic mix into the game, and the run button adds an extra level of control. The double jump is pretty good too. The spindash is very fast and with enough skill, you can blaze through levels in no time. Boost lovers, don't fret, this is the new boost, now with a more classic animation, more control, more speed, and no limit. Lost World essentially uses a brand new engine, so collision and how things work feel a little off, but given time, you'll get used to it.

Overall: I love this game. It has a couple kinks here and there, but it's by no means bad. I fully recommend this to everyone that has a 3DS.

Final Verdict: 9.5/10

Last edited:
I'm seriously still off-put on the idea that the Deadly Six is actually all that deadly in the first place. They taunt Sonic with some really dark themes (I'm going to skin you alive!) but then they get their butts handed to them after two well aimed homing attacks. The only way they actually cause any threat to Sonic in the plot is due to Eggman teaching them everything and giving them the resources required to screw things up.

So, I've played through Lost World 3DS. I really enjoyed it. It's definitely a must-have game. The story was great (far better than Colors, imo) with an actual plot and character development. Good graphics and actual 3D levels on the 3DS combined along with new moves help make the gameplay feel very deep and fun to play.
Really, now? Everyone I know who's tried the 3DS version thinks it's absolute garbage after the first world or so. Bad level design, slippery controls, absolutely horrendous special stages, et cetera.

The Wii U version, on the other hand, isn't great, but it's at least only mediocre as compared to awful.

Can't argue against bad level design on the 3DS.

I mean, most of it's not TERRIBLE, but there are way more dud levels than good ones.

I had fun with the 3DS game, but overall, it was merely "ok". Not great, just "ok".

And the special stages are mercifully not too hard (if you stand up to do them), so you can get their stupidity over with rather quickly and get on to using super sonic.

Really, now? Everyone I know who's tried the 3DS version thinks it's absolute garbage after the first world or so. Bad level design, slippery controls, absolutely horrendous special stages, et cetera.

The Wii U version, on the other hand, isn't great, but it's at least only mediocre as compared to awful.
The levels, for me, at least, aren't really horribly designed. They're certainly not garbage. Yes, there's a few levels here and there that were "meh" and not quite worth going back to for the heck of it, but there's a good number that are fun. Not groundbreaking and "omg best level design than any game in the werld that I've seen", but solid, fun stages to play. The controls were pretty good, and after you get used to the Special Stages' controls, they're fine. I suggest you try them out on an office chair; it really helps. Standing up is alright though.

Wasn't everyone [on Retro] saying that the 3DS version was the better, more solid and definitive version of Lost World earlier? Now...it's apparently absolute garbage, even worse than 06 and Generations 3DS perhaps? I'm not sure on what the consensus is on Lost World 3DS anymore. It's ranged from "poorly programmed garbage" to "mediocre" to "very good and fun".

Last edited:
Anyone saying it's worse than 06 has their head stuck somewhere the sun don't shine.

From what I saw in the trailers, it looked like a decent buy. After seeing what wasn't in the trailers, it looks like Sonic Colors 2.

Only thing I'll say that's good about it is that they didn't downright rehash stages, like they did in Colors.

I saw the Nightmare DLC as well as some of the other content.

The Nightmare DLC absolutely sucked and in no way is even remotely adequately representative of the source material. It's actually rather insulting to those of us who have played NiD and enjoy the game. The rest of the content looked like a strictly worse Super Mario Galaxy.

I'll just stick with Galaxy. It's a better game in every aspect.

I think it's time to give up on the idea of Sega being competent at making Sonic games.

Wasn't everyone [on Retro] saying that the 3DS version was the better, more solid and definitive version of Lost World earlier? Now...it's apparently absolute garbage, even worse than 06 and Generations 3DS perhaps? I'm not sure on what the consensus is on Lost World 3DS anymore. It's ranged from "poorly programmed garbage" to "mediocre" to "very good and fun".
Not that I'd noticed; I haven't checked the Retro topic in a while. I'm going off of the opinions from some friends at NeoGAF, actually. Their opinions tend to be more in tune with mine.

Actually, one of them pointed out to me that your review was mostly a review of the game's plot and not its actual mechanics. I can't verify that, though; I still have to play the Wii U version, so I've been trying to avoid plot details.

The levels, for me, at least, aren't really horribly designed. They're certainly not garbage. Yes, there's a few levels here and there that were "meh" and not quite worth going back to for the heck of it, but there's a good number that are fun. Not groundbreaking and "omg best level design than any game in the werld that I've seen", but solid, fun stages to play.
See, here's the rub; I've got friends that basically say it all goes to hell somewhere around Silent Forest or Frozen Factory (well, to be more specific, one was cursing Frozen Factory, while another responded with "I played up to Silent Forest, and genuinely dread playing more"). Also, Reverie from #srb2fun hated the game so much that she returned it and bought Tales of the Abyss instead, so clearly something's wrong here.

The controls were pretty good, and after you get used to the Special Stages' controls, they're fine. I suggest you try them out on an office chair; it really helps. Standing up is alright though.
Not everyone has an office chair, and I find I'm frequently playing my 3DS in a place where I cannot actively stand up (restaurants, usually, but also car trips, plane rides, etc). Ergo, if you're designing your special stages under the pretense that you HAVE to stand up and swing the entire console around like that, when odds are I'm not going to be able to, then that's just plain bad design, no defending it at all.

Anyone saying it's worse than 06 has their head stuck somewhere the sun don't shine.
I don't think anyone's said it's that bad. 2K6 is a special kind of awful - it's so dysfunctional as to be unplayable.

Not that I'd noticed; I haven't checked the Retro topic in a while. I'm going off of the opinions from some friends at NeoGAF, actually. Their opinions tend to be more in tune with mine.
Ah. Some people over on Retro were calling Lost World "gay" and the 3DS version specifically "poorly programmed garbage". Earlier, they were praising the 3DS version as the more definitive version, so...not sure what happened, but yeah.

Actually, one of them pointed out to me that your review was mostly a review of the game's plot and not its actual mechanics. I can't verify that, though; I still have to play the Wii U version, so I've been trying to avoid plot details.
Mmmm, I reviewed mostly the plot. I've never been good with reviewing, specifically reviewing gameplay. I just don't see how it's a piece of shit like a ton of people are saying. The only mechanic about the game that I don't like is the 2D camera, and the charged homing attack. The camera is really zoomed in, and the charged homing attack can be a pain at times, but even that's not really as horrific as people are making it out to be. I just...can't see the horrifying, terrible, shitty garbage that is the 3DS version.

See, here's the rub; I've got friends that basically say it all goes to hell somewhere around Silent Forest or Frozen Factory (well, to be more specific, one was cursing Frozen Factory, while another responded with "I played up to Silent Forest, and genuinely dread playing more"). Also, Reverie from #srb2fun hated the game so much that she returned it and bought Tales of the Abyss instead, so clearly something's wrong here.
Silent Forest...not really, but I think the levels start to drag on a bit longer here, though if people are saying that the levels drag on to more than 15 minutes, they're just exaggerating. Silent Forest Act 2, Frozen Factory Acts 1 and 2, and Sky Road Act 3 are actually some of my favorites of the whole game. Especially Frozen Factory Act 2. No Wisp powers necessary, at all. And the only Wisp power in that Act is just Laser, which is really nice and quick to use. There's so many multiple routes you can take. Windy Hill Act 3 is just as expansive. (We're talking about the 3DS version, right? I don't have a Wii U, much less the Wii U version of Lost World)

Not everyone has an office chair, and I find I'm frequently playing my 3DS in a place where I cannot actively stand up (restaurants, usually, but also car trips, plane rides, etc). Ergo, if you're designing your special stages under the pretense that you HAVE to stand up and swing the entire console around like that, when odds are I'm not going to be able to, then that's just plain bad design, no defending it at all.
Mmm, I can see your point. At least that's the only part of the game that requires 360 degrees motion control, and the motion control is not as quite that bad as everyone's making it out to be.

Actually, I probably exaggerated my score. I think the 3DS version probably, from a more objective point of view, deserves around an 8.0 rather than a 9.5. An 8.0 sounds a lot better, doesn't it?

I just played Sonic Lost World (on 3DS) for the first time today: three levels and a special stage. I'll give it more of a chance to shine, but, to be blunt, I hated it.

The controls are quite awkward and even though you have a vast array of special moves, you have limited control over which move you perform and how you perform it. I think this game could be a lot more fun if Sonic had far less moves. What if I just wanted to run into that wall and not all the way up it? What if only wanted to double jump? What if I didn't want to run along that wall? Even when moves are working out how they should they feel very synthetic and stupid.

For some reason I had to hold my 3DS toward the ceiling and look straight up (and hurt my neck) to play the special stage. Even after following the instructions and setting the 3DS on a level surface for a while I still could not turn left or right without making the 3DS screens face the floor. That didn't work out so well. I have not had such problems with any other game that uses the gyroscope.

I can enjoy this game. But it is certainly not what I hoped for. The level layouts are okay. The music, though nice, seems very not-Sonic. At least the graphics and story are enjoyable. This is my preliminary estimated scoring of the game:
Code:
Music:    ***--
Graphics: *****
Story:    ****-
Gameplay: *----
Seriously, what's up with Sonic games lately? The only new Sonic game I've enjoyed was "Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed". Sonic 4, Sonic Generations, Lost World... these don't even compare to Sonic 3 (or SRB2) in my opinion. I'm gonna go play Skyward Sword.

The music, though nice, seems very not-Sonic
Care to enlighten us what "Sonic" music is to you?

Sonic Generations
That's funny, Sonic Generations has been considered so far to be the best Sonic game post-Sonic '06, and many say it has perfected the mechanics that appeared since Unleashed.

I have to say the biggest flaw to Lost World is Bad Conveyance, like how the game doesn't explain advanced parkour actions, or even any action for that matter.

To me, "Sonic" music is the style found in Sonic 1, 2, and 3. However, I just re-listened to the music in Sonic Lost World and realized it was more "Sonic" styled than I had thought while writing the review. I really do have a bad memory. :( I should increase my music rating to 4/5 or 5/5 after further listening.

Oh, I didn't say Sonic Generations was a bad game, or that it didn't stack up against other recent Sonic games. On the contrary, it is my favorite of all the Sonic-styled games that I have played since Sonic 3 and Knuckles, and it was a breath of fresh air. But Sonic 3 and Knuckles felt like it had more exploring, more atmosphere, and more enjoyment while still being a high-speed game. Sonic Generations is beautiful, absolutely beautiful, but the 2D stages just feel far less rewarding than S3&K. If you disagree with me, please explain. I would love to think better of the game. :)

I should mention that I stopped halfway through Sonic Generations. You can thank Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed for that.

Well I don't think I need to say much more about Generations.

What I do have to say though is that, thinking back on my previous post, Sonic Lost World in general suffers from Sonic Riders Syndrome, where the game has a steep learning curve, but becomes more fun once you got past that steepness. That's the general opinion I seem to get at least.

What I do have to say though is that, thinking back on my previous post, Sonic Lost World in general suffers from Sonic Riders Syndrome, where the game has a steep learning curve, but becomes more fun once you got past that steepness. That's the general opinion I seem to get at least.
I take this as the most powerfully negative post in this entire thread. Riders didn't have a difficulty curve; it had a difficulty 50 foot brick wall. My attempts to play it back at its release had me slamming into the wall no matter what I attempted to do on a gentle curve in the first stage. I was unable to even complete the first stage on the easiest difficulty level in an hour of attempts, said "fuck it" and played something else.

It's possible to have difficulty curve issues in an otherwise good game. Sonic 2's Chemical Plant 2 comes to mind immediately. This still doesn't prevent the player from learning how to play the game from the previous stages and eventually obtaining the skill necessary to complete the overly hard section. Games with a difficulty wall at the start don't have that luxury. Sonic Riders essentially has a sign at the entrance to the ride that says "you must already know all of these mechanics to play". Anyone that doesn't already know how Riders works is told they aren't wanted and quickly gives up and plays something else. That's not a way to get people to play your game, and of course any game that does this is going to get a lot of negative reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back