Sonic Colors!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's hard for me to ever forget the quality of the console's graphics...

It looks better then a lot of Wii games, though. Those....jags probably won't look that way in the end. I bet it's just bad screen capture or something.

Im not going to buy Colors, because I was way to gullible for unleashed, BYT SRB2 STILL KICKS MORE *** THAN THIS GAME >w<

The more they advertise this game, the more they seem to focus on pure speed. I wouldn't play a game just to see someone running fast, but I guess this is what Sonic games cater to.

Actually, I see them more focused on the Wisps. They are fast, but they aren't HOLD A AND RIGHT to win.

This game seems to focus more on platforming and wisps. They couldn't do a game focused on speed due to the limiting power the Wii has. (If they did, it would be way too short)

Then why do I see almost only speed in that trailer and in fact, most of the 3D segments? For me, the 3D segments seem like short filler sections that allow you to go lolfast between the 2D stuff.

I always thought that out of all the advance games, 3 was the one with the most "hold right". All you basically did was hold right and jump occasionally. To stop you, they have slow moving platforms to try to make it seem like it wasn't totally hold right.

That, and it's official SEGA footage. I dunno about you, but games always look better graphically in previews than in the final product. For example, GTA IV never ran at 60 FPS on the 360/PS3, but in the commercials for it, it's 60 the entire time.
I doubt this game will be like that. The last Sonic game that did this was the Sonic 06 preview. More animations, crisp HD graphics and framerate. Looked awful when you bought it. (Heck, it was completely redone)
Then why do I see almost only speed in that trailer and in fact, most of the 3D segments? For me, the 3D segments seem like short filler sections that allow you to go lolfast between the 2D stuff.
Oh, that is what you mean.
I really couldn't care. As many people love these sections. Some people wanted to return and I find them a bit fun.

I doubt this game will be like that. The last Sonic game that did this was the Sonic 06 preview. More animations, crisp HD graphics and framerate. Looked awful when you bought it. (Heck, it was completely redone)

Weren´t the preview graphics the exact same used in the game? I mean... Its the same game. And had one of the best graphics for 2006.

EDIT: 333th reply, WIN.

Last edited:
Weren´t the preview graphics the exact same used in the game? I mean... Its the same game. And had one of the best graphics for 2006.

Preview had better models and animations that weren't in the final product.

I think that when they make games ready for shipping, since it's on a disc it loses a lot of optimization. By now most games devs know this however.

Oh, that is what you mean.
I really couldn't care. As many people love these sections. Some people wanted to return and I find them a bit fun.
What I think he's getting at, more importantly, is that the 3D sections are almost... irrelevant to the game and are simply short segments bridging the 2D sections, which is where most of the meat lies.

I've said this before in the Sonic 4 topic: Unleashed's level structure doesn't allow the player a lot of freedom. Never minding the boost pads and the boost meter; without it, you'd still be going forward. There are some forks in the road and alternate paths, but they're still just that: paths. Sonic Adventure may have had relatively linear level progression, but it also allowed the player the freedom to walk in all directions because of the comparatively sandbox nature of areas such as Speed Highway "At Dawn" and a good deal of the Skydeck. Areas like these avoid "hold right to win" not by breaking the flow, but by putting the level progression almost completely into the player's hands.

Sonic Colors' 3D segments are, like Unleashed's, decidedly straight. The 2D segments seem more interesting, however, because most of the powerups apparently take place there; the nature of the drill wisp allows for level progression that is, literally, almost as sandbox as possible, and the developers apparently decided it's easier to pull off this kind of level design in 2D than 3D. There really doesn't seem to be any real gimmicks in the 3D sections at this point, which is why I'm expecting that there's probably going to be a lot more emphasis on 2D... more than 50%, even. Hence SpiritCrusher's words: short filler segments.

It's funny. The less 3D segments there are in this game, the better it will probably be.

Sonic Colors is a game for children. That includes small children. If you don't force paths upon them, they will get lost. Exploration worked in 2D games because there wasn't much room for the player to go to anyway, but in 3D games, players will get lost. Hell, it happens in SRB2 a lot that players get lost in levels like Arid Canyon. As much as I'd like a more exploration-centric official Sonic game, they'd lose a lot of their target audience on it.

The first time I played SRB2 I literally got lost in GFZ1 in the part right after the spikes, and spent like 3 minutes going in circles, it was very late anyways, I guess I didn´t quite use logic sence.

Sonic Colors is a game for children. That includes small children. If you don't force paths upon them, they will get lost. Exploration worked in 2D games because there wasn't much room for the player to go to anyway, but in 3D games, players will get lost. Hell, it happens in SRB2 a lot that players get lost in levels like Arid Canyon. As much as I'd like a more exploration-centric official Sonic game, they'd lose a lot of their target audience on it.
But the game can be straight forward without forcing the player onto a narrow path. Sonic Adventure had plenty of areas that weren't effectively on-rails; I don't see why Colors can't follow the same example.

There was a video that listed "Reasons why Sonic 06 sucks"
There was a comparison of a scene in a Sonic 06 teaser, and the final product. Sonic was in this waterfall place and it looked absoultley beuatiful. There was was really detailed, the rocks Sonic jumped on, Sonic's model had a spinning animation, it ran perfect. Then, he pulled footage from the game, and compared it. The final product was **** compared to it.
But the game can be straight forward without forcing the player onto a narrow path. Sonic Adventure had plenty of areas that weren't effectively on-rails; I don't see why Colors can't follow the same example
Sonic Adventure is pretty slow compared to Colors. Sonic Colors does have multiple paths and secrets, but it isn't really exploration friendly. Its more like a racing game in the 3D sections.
Like SpiritCrusher said, the game is for everyone. Iizuka even said he wanted it to be really friendly to children. So he put a big focus on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back