Sonic 2 and 3 are better than 1

In Sonic 1's defense, it was the very first game. 2 and 3 were made with Sonic 1 in hindsight. Sonic 1 didn't have any such privilege.

That said, Sonic 3&K is still my favorite out of the old 90's Classic Sonic 2D Platformers.

marble zone gives me a migraine every time i attempt it and labyrinth zone is the dictionary definition of a slog, that's enough reason for me to put sonic 1 below the other classic games (apart from cd, which still ranks lower in my opinion).

I like Sonic CD more than Sonic 2, I think CD's zones are wonderful (except for Wacky Workbench), even though they are slower.

The first game of a franchise being less good than its sequels is a normal thing to have. Megaman 2, Borderlands 2 for example, are better than their previous game.

On a side note, I may add that while Sonic 2 had a better level design overall (and the good idea to only have two acts per zone) it has some difficulty balance issue and some game design elements that are a bit archaic.

The Mobile port of Sonic 1 and 2 are greatly improving them.

Just keep in mind that when the first game came out, there was no Sonic 2 or 3&K to compare it to. I'd imagine back then that even with all the slow going zones like Marble and Labyrinth, Sonic 1 was still a great game. Especially when it's main competition was Super Mario World, where all you had was platforming and not so much speed based gameplay.

I didn't always like sonic 1 on genisis so much ! Same as sonic 2 because they contain many bugs and problems !
Since Whitehead remake them I love them too (except sonic 3 idk why LOLbut at least we have sonic 3 A.I.R)
And I prefer to play them than the original genesis

Sonic 2 would've benefited from having some of S3&K's upgrades in some subsequent release (like having a save system).

Anyway, the best way to experience the classic game would be:
  1. Sonic 1 and 2 Mobile (especially with the de-compilation on PC)
  2. Sonic 3 A.I.R.
  3. Hacks like Sonic Classic Heroes (which features an option to play as one single character) or Sonic 3 complete
I really enjoy playing Sonic 1 with the mobile de-compilation or Classic Heroes hack as they make the weaker parts of the game much more bearable.

Sonic 2 would've benefited from having some of S3&K's upgrades in some subsequent release (like having a save system).

Anyway, the best way to experience the classic game would be:
  1. Sonic 1 and 2 Mobile (especially with the de-compilation on PC)
  2. Sonic 3 A.I.R.
  3. Hacks like Sonic Classic Heroes (which features an option to play as one single character) or Sonic 3 complete
I really enjoy playing Sonic 1 with the mobile de-compilation or Classic Heroes hack as they make the weaker parts of the game much more bearable.
Agreed but about sonic classic heaores it need more development for the best (it's already in ! LMAO)

Sonic 2 and 3 are better than 1.

since those games improve various aspects of Sonic 1

Last edited:
I don't think Sonic 1 is inherently worse for not having a spindash. It does make some of the level design a little more interesting as you're forced to engage with the terrain to build momentum if you want to clear certain obstacles.

The reason Sonic 1 sucks is because a lot of the level design is frankly just terrible. There are a lot of segments in Marble and Spring Yard that are just forced waiting for obstacles to clear. Each zone having three acts also causes a lot of these zones to wear out their welcome pretty quickly. Sonic CD struck a better balance with this by turning the third act into mini-levels focused around the boss encounter.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back