Should vanilla srb2 have custom abilities like other popular fangames

CEO OF KINGDOM HEARTS

Fellow broshima
Ok so as you read from the title.....
Which one do you prefer
Classic abilities
Or
Custom abilities not from any other games

( yes I know mods exist but I'm talking about vanilla )

Ok that's about it

Thok is already this. Metal's hover and Fang's bouncing are also not featured as playable moves in official titles, making them custom as well.

Thok is already this. Metal's hover and Fang's bouncing are also not featured as playable moves in official titles, making them custom as well.
yeah i forgot to mention sonic tails and knuckles only ( thonk just seems like homing attack just without the homing part plus i dont necessarily like it a lot)

yeah i forgot to mention sonic tails and knuckles only ( thonk just seems like homing attack just without the homing part plus i dont necessarily like it a lot)
Thok is entirely different in utility than the air dash/homing attack, and it counts regardless of how much you like it. Not only does it have a lot more speed utility than both moves, but as you grow in skill with it you can combine it with bouncing on badniks/monitors to gain incredible air, something impossible for the air dash and homing attack.

disregarding the fact that thok and the upcoming ability for 2.3 already spit in the face of the abilities classic sonic already established >:) i'd love to see new interpretations of what sonic's cast of characters can do, it's my favourite thing to ponder and theorise.

tails and knuckles in particular have had their abilities set in stone for decades, so it'd be cool to see tails be able to use his tails in completely different ways, like by using them to hover, attack enemies by spinning them in a fan, or charge up a powerful dash.

knuckles on the other hand, could be way more of an exploration focused character than he already is. give him a way to use those powerful fists of his by vaulting off of enemies or pinning himself onto the ground to charge up a more powerful spindash or peelout. alternatively, he could pin himself in a wall and achieve true 360 degree aiming and launch a spindash while up there.

there aren't enough reinterpretations of classic sonic movesets and it saddens me, people should think outside the box every now and then and think of new ways to spice up characters!

it'd be cool to see tails be able to use his tails in completely different ways, like by using them to hover, attack enemies by spinning them in a fan, or charge up a powerful dash.
It would be interesting to see them take some inspiration from the Adventure series for Tails. Perhaps replace his spin state on the ground with his tail spin attack, which can't gain much speed but doesn't really lose speed either, and gives more freedom of movement, making it a fair tradeoff to Sonic's spin attack. This would mean taking away his ability to spindash, but that could present an opportunity to replace it with the peelout, which would make him even more different from Sonic in that charging while standing still wouldn't be mostly the same thing as spinning while running anymore.

I'd probably also tweak his flying a bit so that it works like a hover when you just tap into it once, and you hold either jump or spin to raise/lower yourself. It would still make him tired after a while, but perhaps raising up tires him out faster than just hovering? This would also work as a fair tradeoff for Metal's hover also likely being replaced.

knuckles on the other hand, could be way more of an exploration focused character than he already is. give him a way to use those powerful fists of his by vaulting off of enemies or pinning himself onto the ground to charge up a more powerful spindash or peelout. alternatively, he could pin himself in a wall and achieve true 360 degree aiming and launch a spindash while up there.
I've heard the idea of Knuckles being able to charge a peelout to run up a wall before, IIRC he might have even had a similar ability in Sonic Advance 3, but it's been a while so I might just be remembering wrong. I quite like the idea of this being implemented into SRB2. Maybe let him aim it 360 degrees and use it to travel across walls faster, but at the cost of free movement while using it, stuck in the direction he aims it? Perhaps it could even be used to achieve extra height and/or distance off corners/cliffs?

In regards to Sonic himself, while I am a thok fan, the decision has clearly been made to replace it (and probably give it to Metal, though I hope they at least give Metal a bit more to make him more unique than just being old Sonic) and as such there is an opportunity present here to give him something totally new. I've tossed around a few ideas regarding this before, but I'd rather not turn this into yet another "Sonic's double jump ability" discussion thread, so I'll opt to just discuss a few other options for Sonic's moveset instead.

One thing I think would compliment Sonic quite well would be giving him the unique ability to press spin in the air after using a spring or running off a cliff or etc. to curl up. This would prime him for use of whatever his double jump ability is, giving his gameplay more flow and a sense of control unique to him. Alternatively, he could just use it to land on a monitor or enemy to bounce off instead of taking damage.

Additionally, I'd like to see Sonic gain a buff based on how quickly he's spinning along the ground. If he gets going fast enough, he would be able to beat enemies that usually take two hits by hitting them just once and avoid getting knocked backwards by shields. He also rolls across the water at these speeds instead of skipping. This would reward him for reaching fast speeds, as well as make it a bit easier to keep those speeds going. I wouldn't give this buff the ability to break spikes, as this would take away a bit from Metal's uniqueness, though perhaps this trait could exist while Sonic is super.

Speaking of Super Sonic, I feel like it's about time he got a moveset revamp as well. Obviously with the thok being replaced, there's an opportunity to make the Super Sonic version of his double jump ability super charged in some fashion. I'd also like to see his hover ability made native to running off cliffs/edges, with him still falling if he slows down too much, but with him being able to simply jump out of the hover gaining a little height in the process as well. This would remove the need to hold spin to perform the technique, and add a little bit more practicality to it since you would be able to jump out of it rather than jumping into it. This version of the hover could also be extended to certain other "super forms", such as Metal and maybe even Fang if he gets his bike.

Thok is entirely different in utility than the air dash/homing attack, and it counts regardless of how much you like it. Not only does it have a lot more speed utility than both moves, but as you grow in skill with it you can combine it with bouncing on badniks/monitors to gain incredible air, something impossible for the air dash and homing attack.
the i dont like it alot part was just kinda there not to really say anything but im just going to say these two words that have been around since advenure ( or adventure 2)

homing thonk

no lock on( not visible anyway )

and it sends you forward with a burst of speed when an enemy is not in range

sounds familiar dosen't it

thonk is just homing thonk without the homing part that i have already mentioned

but the thonk is not terrible but in my eyes its just a homing thonk with things added and removed
Post automatically merged:

disregarding the fact that thok and the upcoming ability for 2.3 already spit in the face of the abilities classic sonic already established >:) i'd love to see new interpretations of what sonic's cast of characters can do, it's my favourite thing to ponder and theorise.

tails and knuckles in particular have had their abilities set in stone for decades, so it'd be cool to see tails be able to use his tails in completely different ways, like by using them to hover, attack enemies by spinning them in a fan, or charge up a powerful dash.

there aren't enough reinterpretations of classic sonic movesets and it saddens me, people should think outside the box every now and then and think of new ways to spice up characters!
i 100% agree with this

thats really the whole reason i made this thread

and the thinking outside of the box part definitely defines why this thread exists

also 2.3 sonic's abilities got announced ?!?!?!?

the i dont like it alot part was just kinda there not to really say anything but im just going to say these two words that have been around since advenure ( or adventure 2)

homing thonk
In Adventure 1 and 2 the move Sonic has is referred to as the Homing Attack. "Thonk" doesn't exist, as even in SRB2 it's called the Thok.

no lock on( not visible anyway )

and it sends you forward with a burst of speed when an enemy is not in range

sounds familiar dosen't it

thonk is just homing thonk without the homing part that i have already mentioned
What you are actually comparing the Thok to is the Air Dash, the move Sonic uses when not in range to perform a homing attack. Even then, saying they are the same thing is disingenuous at best. The Air Dash gives you a small distance burst of speed which is only useful to get movement started or as a course correction, and not for use as an attack or to get the kind of speed you get out of SRB2's Thok. A closer comparison would be the Air Boost, but even that has it's own differences such as it's lack of bouncing potential.

None of this changes the fact that the Thok is a fully custom move that isn't in any official Sonic game.

In Adventure 1 and 2 the move Sonic has is referred to as the Homing Attack. "Thonk" doesn't exist, as even in SRB2 it's called the Thok.

What you are actually comparing the Thok to is the Air Dash, the move Sonic uses when not in range to perform a homing attack. Even then, saying they are the same thing is disingenuous at best. The Air Dash gives you a small distance burst of speed which is only useful to get movement started or as a course correction, and not for use as an attack or to get the kind of speed you get out of SRB2's Thok. A closer comparison would be the Air Boost, but even that has it's own differences such as it's lack of bouncing potential.

None of this changes the fact that the Thok is a fully custom move that isn't in any official Sonic game.
you are correct but like i said
the thonk is not terrible but in my eyes its just a homing thonk with things added and removed

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back