Should 3.0 have new sprites?

In regards to major update versions, 3.0 if it ever exists is very far off. The next major version from now would be 2.3, then after that would be 2.4, then 2.5, and so on. Smaller updates would include versions such as 2.2.4, 2.2.5, 2.2.6, and so on. That means that even after we get 2.3, there will be smaller update versions such as 2.3.2, 2.3.3, 2.3.4, and so forth. Between major update versions there tend to be quite a few years, so if 3.0 ever exists it's likely multiple decades away.

Assuming 3.0 ever does exist, I'd imagine that by then the game will have already long since settled on which sprites/models it's going to be using. I don't think there's much of a point in constantly replacing them just for its own sake.

Even in regards to future versions such as 2.3, I think the current set of sprites for the playable characters is fine. They're already overhauled from previous sprites quite a bit and have a much more finished quality to them. If new sprites do get introduced, I'd expect them to just be altered versions of the current sprites with adjusted hues and shading to bring out whatever untapped potential there might be, but that's a huge if.

What I do see a lot of potential for in future versions such as 2.3 however is them replacing sprites for smaller things such as bosses, enemies, monitors, rings, etc. Basically just giving the whole game a consistent visual style. Even things that aren't getting the full redesign treatment could use some updated sprites to fit in with the player characters and make the game look a bit less like a mixing pot of random assets.

In regards to major update versions, 3.0 if it ever exists is very far off. The next major version from now would be 2.3, then after that would be 2.4, then 2.5, and so on. Smaller updates would include versions such as 2.2.4, 2.2.5, 2.2.6, and so on. That means that even after we get 2.3, there will be smaller update versions such as 2.3.2, 2.3.3, 2.3.4, and so forth. Between major update versions there tend to be quite a few years, so if 3.0 ever exists it's likely multiple decades away.

Assuming 3.0 ever does exist, I'd imagine that by then the game will have already long since settled on which sprites/models it's going to be using. I don't think there's much of a point in constantly replacing them just for its own sake.

Even in regards to future versions such as 2.3, I think the current set of sprites for the playable characters is fine. They're already overhauled from previous sprites quite a bit and have a much more finished quality to them. If new sprites do get introduced, I'd expect them to just be altered versions of the current sprites with adjusted hues and shading to bring out whatever untapped potential there might be, but that's a huge if.

What I do see a lot of potential for in future versions such as 2.3 however is them replacing sprites for smaller things such as bosses, enemies, monitors, rings, etc. Basically just giving the whole game a consistent visual style. Even things that aren't getting the full redesign treatment could use some updated sprites to fit in with the player characters and make the game look a bit less like a mixing pot of random assets.
I had heard about some leaks regarding volcano act 2 as well as a thok replacement

I had heard about some leaks regarding volcano act 2 as well as a thok replacement
1. they aren't leaks, they are just things the developers have said they will do 2. that's just 2.3 stuff

fun fact during 2.2's development they were debating calling it 3.0 but decided it didn't change enough to warrant the name.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back