KartKrew™
Sonic Team Junior
Kart Krew™️
Few questions:

1) What causes them?

2) What would it be like without them?

3) Can we prevent them?

4) Why do they stop you from connecting to the master server at times? :3

Well, I don't know much about them, but I do know that it's spelled "timeout" rather than "timout". :p

1) Anything that prevents the server and the client to communicate for an extended period of time.
2) The game would be freezed :/
3) No normally, unless you want the above to happen.
4) Because there are connection problems, see 1).

Sik said:
1) Anything that prevents the server and the client to communicate for an extended period of time.
2) The game would be freezed :/
3) No normally, unless you want the above to happen.
4) Because there are connection problems, see 1).

From this, and what you told me about c-fails in Ash's topic, I have come to this conclusion:

If Srb2 didn't have the lag it has, and the constant c-fails, or the annoying servertimeouts, it would be a piece of unplayable garbage.

mikesword221 said:
You learn something new everyday.

So true.

No, the lag is result of connection issues. Server timeout is literally an excess of lag, so SRB2 shuts down. And consistency failures happens if the game can't resync the data, and doing so implies lag, so if there was no lag, then it would mean the data is always synchronized.

Lag is a symptom (spelling please :P) of connection issues. The bigger, the more prone you're to have errors. Watch out.

Or lag could just be a high ping. That could be a very strong connection with high bandwidth, just slow.

Basically, the major problems with SRB2's netplay consist of shoddy, outdated netcode combined with connection issues.

Kopper said:
Or lag could just be a high ping. That could be a very strong connection with high bandwidth, just slow.
Still that would mean you would be more prone for server timeouts, because like I said, sever timeouts happen basically due to excessive lag (too much delay for communication).

SRB2 netcode is designed for LANs, not the instability of the Internet.

You almost never encounter these issues on a LAN, so there's no point in doing extra checking and other things to compensate.

How many people play SRB2 in a real LAN? :P Even with Hamachi, P2P connections don't help much because still data has to be sent through Internet.

Sik said:
How many people play SRB2 in a real LAN? :P Even with Hamachi, P2P connections don't help much because still data has to be sent through Internet.

You've never heard of the 'Secret Gathering of the Masters of SRB2 to play a massive LAN game' thing?

That's a joke, right? :P Through honestly those LAN parties are a good idea. Imagine having a SRB2 LAN party, not to mention that the lag would be almost minimum, if even there is :) But they take up a lot of money :( Anybody wants to start making donations? ;)

Meh, give it a few years, I was planning on flying across the pond after my 18th and organising one, since I'm awesome at that kind of stuff (and I have a 24 port switch that's only got 5 connections in it =P).

Sik said:
I've played co-op in a real LAN with my brother before. ;\

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back