scr_ClockworkRuins.wad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A new singleplayer level? Haven't seen one of these in ages!

CRITICISM EDIT:
Okay, this level was far from a 10/10, but it had some potential. One of the things I noticed instantly was that you caught a nasty case of whatever Hyperknux recently got. What that is: it's that the level would be a lot better if it was simply built on a larger scale. The level itself is rather cramped, and sometimes hard to maneuver through. You need to make your levels bigger.
Also, another thing I noticed was a bad placement of enemies, though this is mostly due to the level's crampedness. Red crawlas and red buzzes don't do well in tight spaces, and they frustrate the player.
Another thing you need to consider is more scenery. The stage was lacking sector/thing scenery, and this is usually crucial with stages like this. Scenery makes the overall experience more enjoyable.
I liked that colored room gimmick, and I liked how the stage changed throughout, but other than those gimmicks it felt kinda bland.
Nice work though.

You really have potential as a level maker! I'd recommend putting a death pit below the quicksand, though.

You're one to talk, Fawful.

I thought the level was better as it went on. The sand part was kinda generic and uneventful, with the occasional gimmick. I liked the tech section better than the sand section, simply because it felt like you were doing something new and expanding your horizons.

Yeah, the second one is true. But I like to think it's a process, and each failure level brings me nearer to making a level that doesn't fail.

I still do think there should be a death pit below the quicksand. It makes it more realistic.

fawfulfan said:
Yeah, the second one is true. But I like to think it's a process, and each failure level brings me nearer to making a level that doesn't fail.

I still do think there should be a death pit below the quicksand. It makes it more realistic.
There is, it's just deeper down than you've fell. I deepened it after some criticism about difficulty being too high.

I thought the level was better as it went on. The sand part was kinda generic and uneventful, with the occasional gimmick. I liked the tech section better than the sand section, simply because it felt like you were doing something new and expanding your horizons.
Ironically, I heard the opposite before. What did you think of the rising sand area in the ruins part?

Oh, that reminds me: How obvious was the red teleporter 'ring'?

The level itself is rather cramped, and sometimes hard to maneuver through. You need to make your levels bigger.
I was told this before too. I did what I could, but to make it any bigger I'd need to more or less start from scratch.

The rising sand ruins part confused me. I jumped into a hole, then quickly thokked into another one, only to find the sand rise up and crush me...

Warpshade said:
Ironically, I heard the opposite before. What did you think of the rising sand area in the ruins part?

Oh, that reminds me: How obvious was the red teleporter 'ring'?
I found that area accidentally by thokking through a random wall, which I'm assuming was terribly thin. It took me a bit to figure out what it was made for, then I game-overed and didn't go back

The tele-ring was fine. It's just that it was hard to jump into, so it was more of a problem with the execution than the idea.

Clockwork Ruins Zone, 6/10

This level, as the others say, has potential. But that target still needs some acheiving.

The Good:
-Nice Sector layout
-Nice Sector-based detail
-Good platforming
-Linedef executors knowledge
-Good texture placement

The Bad:
-Can't see how it's 'clockwork'
-Bad Enemy placement
-Maze in some parts
-Not enough Things
-Bad Thing placement

Ice said:
Red crawlas and red buzzes don't do well in tight spaces, and they frustrate the player.

*Cough*CastleEggmanZone*Cough*

Anyway, I also feel that it was rather cramped. It looked awesome, I'll give you that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back