scmrt_spillsand.wad (Spilling Sands Zone)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guitarplaya

This is my latest level, Spilling Sands Zone. One level only, but it's larger that Midnight Mountain Zone and is less linear than Serene Falls Zone. See how many secrets you can find.

DL link:
Link removed, Beta 2 is further down.

Screens:
srb20176im8.png

Temple blocks, where do they lead?
srb20177xo0.png

Small cave/lake.
srb20178xv4.png

Area with different sand textures so your eyes don't burn.
srb20179cn0.png

Small oasis.
srb20175yz1.png

Start area.

Please post constructive criticism.

Haven't played it, but those peach-colored textures suck for a desert. Try the yellow sand ones.

Trust me, I LOVE the level design, I really do. Although... I have one SMALL problem. I hardly even got to the first Oasis you see (No, not the one in the screenshot), and collecting every rings I see, I got 100. And before SRB2 crashed (don't know why it did that), I got WELL over 400 rings. There's too many rings in that level for my taste.

Also, 2 silver ring and 2 life monitors for jumping from pillar to pillar around the bigger Oasis near the beginning is too much, ESPECIALLY for Tails and Knuckles. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the level, it's the poor ring and monitor usage that gets me. Please consider that for any more levels you're making.

My only other advice is see if you can make the cactus look more like cactus. But other than that, everything is well done, keep it up.

Guitarplaya said:
Ok, I'm working on Zone 2 now. Should be up in a few days.

There's no need to rush the stages, like I said in Azure Hawk's mod topic, the more time you spend on the stages, and put a lot of effort in them, the more positive feedback you will get. This is only advice :P.

This looks interesting, although, you might want to soc the cacti to harm sonic, tails, or knuckles, when they come into contact with it...It will make it more realistic...

HYPERKNUX said:
Guitarplaya said:
Ok, I'm working on Zone 2 now. Should be up in a few days.

There's no need to rush the stages, like I said in Azure Hawk's mod topic, the more time you spend on the stages, and put a lot of effort in them, the more positive feedback you will get. This is only advice :P.

Well, I re-downloaded SRB2 to get OGG to work, I deleted all my WADfiles except for Spilling Sands, and realized that I had accidentally kept the DBS file instead, so I'll have to start zone 2 from the beginning. Also, rush? I made Zone 1 in 2 1-hour sittings.

Good stages most of the time usually take at least 1 week - 1 1/2 weeks depending on how you are planning the maps. This can be the level design, bug fixes, etc. It took me about 3 weeks to complete Mineral Valley, and took me a week to finish Magma Cavern Zone act 1. So if you spend just a little longer on the maps, you might get good feedback on it.

HYPERKNUX said:
Good stages most of the time usually take at least 1 week - 1 1/2 weeks depending on how you are planning the maps.

You are extremely proficient at understatements, sir. Mind us all, delivering a decent map of SP caliber can consume multiple months. A standard staple of making an overwhelming level that pleases the community for ages to come is procrastination and lack of wanting to make it. There exists more than one reason besides programming that makes SRB2 linger inside the development stage for eons. :D

On the other hand, decent Match maps can be plattered in 2 seconds or 2 years depending on how complex your gimmicks and ideas are.

As for the level, I "fell" there's too many paths that lead to the same thing, with some of them being quite a bit easier than the others. It also doesn't help when someone stupid like me goes backwards since I think it's the right way. Another thing was the floating platform area. It just seems so lazily pasted in rather then trying to make a unique and more fun way to traverse the upper area. The path also seem quite short lived, which can be a good or a bad thing, but I just feel there needs to be some actual length to the level...

The level design is nice looking, though.

Its okay, just a few things that kinda peeved me:

1. I've never particularly liked having arrows covering more than one block- you had a massive monument dedicated to them.

2. There was an entire path that seemed to have no importance. I traveled all the way through it from its exit at the end thinking I would find an alternate exit, but I only got a few more rings- then it ran be back to the same area. I understand the idea of multiple paths, I just kinda feel it didn't work out here as well as it could have.

3. One of the yellow springs in the cave misses the next platform- call me picky, but if you want to set it up to where you have to control your descent after a launch, to it with all the springs, not just one.

4. I kinda thought it was dull in the areas that had the same textures on both the wall and floor.

5. I didn't like the look on your face as you read the previous 4 statemen- *shot*

Just take your time fixing this level before you finish another. I would rather have one REALLY good level than a level pack of average levels.
Don't get me wrong, its a well rounded level, I just like being a jerkface. Sorry!

This was....bland. As I think hyperknux said, spend more time on your levels.

1. There were far to many skims. You shouldn't rely on enemies to make your level challenging.

2. Flowers are good, they make things more sceneic, but they shouldn't be the only things that do that. Higher floors, lower floors, and dynamic environments work well.

I think if you spent more time on the level to make it perfect, then it will work nicely.

Azure Hawk

I am so suprised you guys weren't completely and utterly pissed by the excessive flames. (actual flames in the level, not the MB kind :P)

In all honesty, I kinda was mad about the flame part, but it's still a bit easy to jump over them even though the ceiling was kinda low, so I didn't find a big need to have it changed. It would be nice to change the flame part, but I don't really care either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back