SASRB2 Graphics Enhancement Patch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't think this is terribly new to any of you guys here after my whole corona/lighting tutorial on SOC editing, but I've released a patch for SASRB2 that incorporates the standard slew of OpenGL corona effects, mixed in with a few other things I've lazily worked on, on and off since SAGE.

The Readme said:
This patch updates the following SASRB2 features from the SAGE Demo:

- An updated SOC file, which slightly tweaks enemy AI (Red Crawlas)
- Updated OpenGL graphics effects (dynamic lighting)
- New sprites for a handful of objects (CTF Flags, explosions, etc)
- New 1up Music
- A few enemy placements in Map 07 (Pumpkin Castle)
- New Launcher with patch update support

http://fanmade.emulationzone.org/blazefire/index.php?content=game-sasrb2

I'd just directly link to the file but Emuzone has been stepping up it's site offlinking protection - if you offsite link in any way whatsoever your download becomes unstable and corrupt, so you have to go through my site (don't right click, either).

There is also an image of the effects in action:

http://fanmade.emulationzone.org/blazefire/index.php?content=imagedisplay&image=enhancegraphics.jpg

(No, there's no Shield when fighting Eggman. I put that there just so I could take a screenshot with the shield effect on, you know, sort of "get as much stuff in one shot as possible" thing)

Due to the amount of effects I use for the OpenGL stuff, it probably raises system requirements a bit. I know slower computers are gonna have a hell of a time with that turret. (But, there are options to turn coronas and dynamic lights off in OGL, so... yeah)

Code for r_glsasrb2.dll?

Ahhh. what changes in the code you made for this dll r_glsasrb2.dll(other than change the filename...)? and can i get a copy?

He made DLL changes? Obviously not, as that's not what's in the download. It's called "SOC Editing" -_-' I bet Blaze still thinks he's doing something completly new and that noone's tried before, with all the comments you give.

haha. Okay, the story behind r_glsasrb2.dll was that was where I was hiding the beta EXE for SRB2 (the old "no 1.1" option). Basically, when "No 1.1" was checked, instead of running srb2win.exe, it would run r_glsasrb2.dll as the exe.

You could rename r_glsasrb2.dll to srb2win.exe and it'd work just the same.

Basically, r_glsasrb2.dll is trash. You can delete it. It's not needed anymore.

I learned the trick from AJ, whom, back during an older SRB2 demo (we're talking like, Demo 2 or Demo 3 here) hid an unfinished version of Techno Hill Zone act 2, disguised as a DLL (when, infact, it was a WAD).

Most of the visual enhancements you see in this SASRB2 patch are indeed done by "simple" SOC editing.

That was the first time I played the SASRB2 demo, actually.

Holy moley. I'm so ready for the finished product. :eek:

I feel silly now

:oops: SDLL? unfinished version of Techno Hill Zone act 2, ......

Mmm, that beta THZ2 was fun... The flashing areas with the alarms were all bright and electrical (and damaging, but still cool) and there wasn't that conveyer belt section in the begginning that everyone who takes it hates (I prefer to take on the turret, however, so it's their loss, my gain :))

Ultrasonic05 said:
You mean there's a turret you can take?!
Nooo, Take ON the turret! C'mon, dun cha love one-on-one with some random idiot who stands in place spinning around trying to shoot ya? Same concept here, except it spins and shoots MUCH faster!

No, but if you're stupid enough to think so, go right ahead. :) I'm gonna battle the turret more, brb.

I dunno. It's mostly a texture hack with some slightly modified level and enemy design. It's far from being a "total conversion", it's more just.. "enhanced but not really". It still needs a lot of work (GFZ1's new addition, for instance), and even then, when it's done, it won't be anything more than a glorified hack of work already done :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back