• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

SA-SRB2

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, hey.

Some of you will remember me. Some of you won't. I was creating a SRB2 mod way back in the day called SA-SRB2. It was primary OpenGL-focused, adding pretty effects and stuff and its intent was to replicate the the style of the Sonic Adventure games in the SRB2 engine. The original release was just to enable "Sonic Adventure Mode" in all the levels, but the second release was going to do much more.

Then SRB2 got updated and broke all my stuff. I was having a hard time with editing SOCs and wrapping my head around some of the more complex faucets of SRB2 map editing already, so when all my stuff got broke, I basically stopped working on it and fell out of editing SRB2. I still feel bad about that, because I was actually supposed to do official textures for the project and most of my time spent making and editing textures was for SA-SRB2 instead. I tried to rectify this by allowing SSNTails to put all of SA-SRB2's textures in to the main SRB2, but I still feel guilty.

Anyway!

As I understand it, there was an effort to port the old version of SA-SRB2 to the newer versions of SRB2. I had thought I lost the source to the new SA-SRB2 a long time ago, but while digging around CD-R backups I managed to find what I think was the last version I worked on.

If anyone wants to fool around with it or update it to work with more recent versions of SRB2, be my guest:

http://blazemp3.sepwich.com/sa-srb2.rar

Other versions of SA-SRB2 have been passed around before, but I don't think this version has.

The features that are supposed to be in here, but may not work because of changes to how SOCs work (and because I myself haven't actually checked the contents of the WAD):

- Brand new intro cutscene with artwork by myself
- Most, if not all sound effects changed to sound like the Sonic Adventure games.
- Sonic Adventure-styled HUD
- Lots of sloppy editing to the single player maps. Strings of hovering enemies, maps made longer. Green Flower Zone Act 2 is played in reverse.
- 90% of the game (as it existed then) re-textured.
- Changes to how enemies and bosses function, including giving Red Crawlas the ability to shoot at Sonic and changing the first boss to shoot at Sonic like a turret.
- Pretty OpenGL lights for tons of stuff (too bad it's getting abandoned)

If you don't know or don't remember what this version of SA-SRB2 looks like, there's this video right here. The video was uploaded on April 15th 2006. The last edit on the WAD file included in this build of SA-SRB2 was March 3rd 2006, so it should be fairly close to what you see in the video.

So yeah. Have at it! If, you know, you want to.

For those of you who just want to run this, I think this requires SRB2 1.08, so get that version to try to give this a go.

Actually, oddly enough it works just fine with 1.09.4. It only has a few flaws, Mario Koopa Blast crashes, The Egg Slimer lacks an axis to go on, the Jetty Bomber spawns green Sonic's and a few match maps that got added need map headers since it makes them think they are the wrong ones. ex. Meadow Match as Map 92 thinks it is using Thunder Citadel's map header.

Jetty Bomber works fine for me. Jetty Gunner is the one that spawns green Sonics.

Okay, let me say this.
YAY!
I've read about this in the Wiki, downloaded it, even downloading 1.08 to get it, got the 1.09 verison, tried to make my own version, gave up and you came back! This is awesome, even though you've quit it.

So, d you mind if I have a go with messing around with it? :|

Violo said:
So, d you mind if I have a go with messing around with it? :|

BlazeHedgehog said:
If anyone wants to fool around with it or update it to work with more recent versions of SRB2, be my guest

You heard him. Go nuts.

Callum said:
http://gcfreak.sepwich.com/downloads/SA-SRB2.wad

This is the 1.09.4 version ported yonks ago, I've had it up on my storage space for people who wanted to download it for at least a year and a half.

Thanks Callum, this will save me the time of having to go and download 1.08.

Guess who's back.
This really brings a glimmer of hope to me, and I bet many others.
I can't wait to try this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back