rphys

rphys 8

Is this compatible with the linux flatpack version and if so which one should I install?
I don't know what flatpack even is so I'm not sure. I know srb2bld has support for compiling rphys on other systems but you'll still need the rphys.pk3 asset file from the windows version zip.

I don't know what flatpack even is so I'm not sure. I know srb2bld has support for compiling rphys on other systems but you'll still need the rphys.pk3 asset file from the windows version zip.
The Flatpak is jus a linux compile of SRB2 so it can be played on linux easily
idk
also you would install the one that isn't the android apk
Alrighty thank you both for your help I'll look into it a bit deeper

The Flatpak is jus a linux compile of SRB2 so it can be played on linux easily

Alrighty thank you both for your help I'll look into it a bit deeper
there is now an experimental flatpak version available if you'd like to try it

note that i'll always recommend compiling from source as the best way to play on linux, as flatpaks are prone to having flatpak-exclusive issues

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for the Flathub build. It installs just fine on Steam Deck via Discover, and works fine. I like the physics changes, and always have; I've been happy to use rphys lite with Vanilla SRB2. So I was excited to try out the full rphys experience. So far, I like it. But Amy with shields is kind of a problem. She isn't in a spin state when she jumps, and she can't use her hammer because her jump hammer is replaced with the double jump. So she has no way to safely attack enemies in the air with a shield. Is this intended?

I have to admit that I'm not a fan of you recommending Linux users to build from source, and claiming that "flatpaks are prone to having flatpak-exclusive issues." We're not all graybeards who are able and/or willing to compile from source. I am able, but I'm not willing. My Deck is my main gaming device now, and I wouldn't want to imagine the nightmare of trying to build something from source on one, especially if you don't have SSH handy. Honestly, I'm not even sure SteamOS has the necessary dependencies, and since it's immutable, you're gonna have a very hard time getting them if they're not already there.

SRB2 is not the kind of application that would run into Flatpak-specific issues, especially since you've now fixed the main inconsistency from the upstream manifest that would have caused problems. (--persist=~/.srb2) Now that you've done that, please consider changing your mind on this. Again, this Flathub build works perfectly fine. You've done a good job here, both with the mod itself and its packaging, and I appreciate it a lot!

For everyone using the Flathub build of this mod, the main thing to remember is that files go in ~/.var/app/io.github.srb2.rphys/.srb2 instead of just ~/.srb2. Because it is a separate app from SRB2 (which would be org.srb2.SRB2), you can keep a separate set of saves and mods from vanilla SRB2, or copy them back and forth to keep them in sync.

Last edited:
but Amy with shields is kind of a problem. She isn't in a spin state when she jumps, and she can't use her hammer because her jump hammer is replaced with the double jump. So she has no way to safely attack enemies in the air with a shield. Is this intended?
That sounds like your install is bad. Amy's gameplay is supposed to look like this:

srb20004.gif

Maybe one of the asset downloads failed, so I'd recommend reinstalling it.

Also, SRB2 vanilla has historically had multiple issues with its flatpak such as wayland support being completely busted (rphys forces x11) and no MIDI support which may cause no audio in srb2 the past. I agree SteamOS users should install the flatpak version, though I have no experience with immutable distros.

• Cool!
Reactions: TiZ
That sounds like your install is bad. Amy's gameplay is supposed to look like this:

srb20004.gif

Maybe one of the asset downloads failed, so I'd recommend reinstalling it.
Okay, this was actually my bad. I had a mod installed, Proper Super Forms, that added some abilities to Tails, Amy, Fang, and Metal. The flags it defines to give Amy a super form also re-enable the flags that prevent her from spin jumping. If I switch it out with a different mod that only says "every character is allowed to go Super", Amy now spin jumps and can use her hammer with a shield. She can't do shield abilities, though; is that intended? I think it's a totally fair trade if so; her moveset is already extremely capable and really fun!
Also, SRB2 vanilla has historically had multiple issues with its flatpak such as wayland support being completely busted (rphys forces x11) and no MIDI support which may cause no audio in srb2 the past. I agree SteamOS users should install the flatpak version, though I have no experience with immutable distros.
Is Wayland support being busted specific to the Flathub version, or is that something any version of SRB2 suffers from? If it's the former, the way SRB2's Flatpak is built could be part of it. I poked around and saw the stuff some (GNOME) folks were struggling with in your app submission. I think the SDL2 in FDO 23.08 has libdecor support, so some of what they were struggling with maybe could have been mitigated by including libdecor in the manifest...

...but why do that when Xwayland works fine? I mean, Gamescope kinda has the right idea; it is a Wayland compositor but does not support Wayland clients, only X11 clients through Xwayland. And SSD being broken is literally only a GNOME problem and their own damn fault? Like... literally all of the Flathub maintainers are GNOME folks who are happy to force apps and downstreams to deal with their own stubbornness in refusing to implement SSD in Wayland. I'm certain there's not a single Plasma user among the Flathub maintainers. I would have loved for a Plasma Wayland user to have shown up like "Huh, that's weird. I have a titlebar running this in my Wayland session, I wonder why you guys don't? 👀"

Anyways, never mind my sour grapes about all that, thank you for your help and the excellent mod!

Last edited:
If I switch it out with a different mod that only says "every character is allowed to go Super", Amy now spin jumps and can use her hammer with a shield. She can't do shield abilities, though; is that intended? I think it's a totally fair trade if so; her moveset is already extremely capable and really fun!
Amy not being able to use shields with her current moveset is intended, since most shield abilities would be a straight downgrade compared to her hammer spin or outright redundant because she already has a double jump. Also I should mention all vanilla rphys characters can go super by default, though that doesn't also apply to character mods.
Is Wayland support being busted specific to the Flathub version, or is that something any version of SRB2 suffers from? If it's the former, the way SRB2's Flatpak is built could be part of it. I poked around and saw the stuff some (GNOME) folks were struggling with in your app submission. I think the SDL2 in FDO 23.08 has libdecor support, so some of what they were struggling with maybe could have been mitigated by including libdecor in the manifest...
I'm typically a Cinnamon user but I did install GNOME Wayland for testing purposes. I think the reason only the flatpak breaks is because my compiled build seems to prefer X11 while the flatpak prefers Wayland unless the permission is disabled. However, the Wayland window was not even broken on my system.

First image is my compiled binary, second image is the flatpak with Wayland permission enabled:
Screenshot_from_2023-10-08_23-01-26.png
Screenshot_from_2023-10-08_23-02-05.png

Works on my machine(tm) but I'm running Arch on a 12 year old laptop so I doubt my system has much in common with the maintainers.

• Cool!
Reactions: TiZ
Is it possible to make 3d models work with this version on Android?
well, the rphys android version should be linked with your original game (or at least it is for me)
therefore the rphys android app uses whatever modelpack that you last used before opening rphys
also the modelpack command does not work on rphys

well, the rphys android version should be linked with your original game (or at least it is for me)
therefore the rphys android app uses whatever modelpack that you last used before opening rphys
also the modelpack command does not work on rphys
It doesn't work for me, i try turning the models on but it doesn't work, even if they do in the normal version

It doesn't work for me, i try turning the models on but it doesn't work, even if they do in the normal version
hmmmmmmmmmmm
try having models on for both games when you switch, so that the models would've already been loaded, see if that works

usemodelpack off in console

or, if you already have modelpacks set up, make sure the modelpack command points to the correct zip file

Trie

Tried doing that, but it gives me a message saying that it couldn't open models.dat
Do you have a models.dat in your base Sonic Robo Blast 2 folder? Not in any subfolders? The layout without modelpacks is to place the models.dat in the main folder and to have a subfolder called Models which contains the actual models.

Do you have a models.dat in your base Sonic Robo Blast 2 folder? Not in any subfolders? The layout without modelpacks is to place the models.dat in the main folder and to have a subfolder called Models which contains the actual models.
Oh, i see what i was doing wrong now.
When using the normal version of the game, i put the model files inside de ADDONS folder, but not inside the main one. After seeing that the models didn't work in rphys, i put them in the org.stjr.srb2 folder, and it didn't work. I then did the same but in the org.rphys.srb2 folder, didn't work again. But now i deleted these files from both folders and then moved the files in the addons folder to just the main srb2 folder, and now the models work fine to me. Thanks for helping!

Katmint updated rphys with a new update entry:

Chaotix support + other stuff

Hi, new version here with lots of fixes and proper support for the Chaotix mod. See the full changelog below:
  • Various fixes to properly support Chaotix
    • Title screen actually works instead of showing a black void
    • Heavy controls like he should instead of blitzing to 300 fracunits/tic in two seconds
    • Charmy spindash has proper friction
  • Overhauled spring and thrusting mechanics
    • See...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Hello @Katmint
I'm really enjoying RPHYS and all the moveset changes you did. I saw that you made some bug fixes to mod characters so they can work properly in RPHYS (example:The Chaotixs). Hopefully this isn't too much to ask but is it possible that you could fix Honey's Ground Pound? Everytime I press spin instead of getting ground pound I get this weird curl move that plays the spring sound but one that sounds like you hit it with Amy's Hammer.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back