RoimWolf's Autumn 2020 OLDC Voting & Feedback

RoimWolf

As of now I only plan on voting / giving feedback on the Single Player levels. So far I'll be experiencing them in a random order, but I'll list my Voting first.

Voting order from Most liked to least liked:

Knothole Coast Zone Act 1 by Apollyon.
Gate Garden Zone by Ruberjig.
Pagoda Park by Rogerregorroger.
Foliage Furnace Zone by Kwiin & Kanna.
Dark Marsh by Vixuzen.
Overgrown Heights Zone Act 2 by InferNOr.
Shadow of Aztlan Zone by akirahedgehog.
Fatal Factory Zone by Kuba11.
Azlant Ruin Zone by Gambit.
Square City Zone by Riolucariolu.
Alabaster Fountain Zone by BronsoKip.
Galactic Facility Zone by Mondongo.
Emerald Aether Zone by Krabs.
Hakuryu Dojo by Zaxel.
Aquatic Port Zone by WasifBoomz.

Feedback and comments:
---------------------

1) Knothole Coast Zone Act 1 by Apollyon

A fun level! Not too long, but also has enough alternate routes to not be too short, increasing replayability. The textures and overall graphics are vibrant, colorful and pleasant to look at, but something about the ground/grass texture feels like a SLIGHT eyesore to me.
I like the section that harkens back to the past of Sonic Robo Blast, and also THAT section of it as well. The easter eggs gave me a nice laugh, too.
Great work, Apollyon!

2) Emerald Aether Zone by Krabs

Good lord, what is going on here. Erm... So! I'll get the negatives out of the way first.
I feel the level is way too cluttered with structures all over the place that pretty much nearly immediately converge into the same area; short paths that only serve as small deviations, so to speak. In theory you could just... Blast through all of them using momentum and pretty much ignore all that effort, though.
The 2nd half with the bottomless pit... Kind of feels like it carries the same spirit, but thankfully it's less convoluted. I did die a few times there because of my own incompetence though, mainly not seeing the final paths converging into a slope.
But now, the positives.
Despite the level being cluttered with all that stuff, I can see why it was done and the purpose they serve. They give the player a large playground to run around and explore without being empty as places of that kind usually are. There was a lot of effort put into the paths, and it shows. No matter what path you pick, you'll be bound to find something as a reward for your curiosity, be it rings that guide you forwards, shields, or tokens.

I'd like to say I like this level!... But honestly, it's not much of my thing. Good work overall, though, Krabs!

3) Hakuryu Dojo by Zaxel:

Okay, so, I'll get this out of the way: At first I thought it was going to be a short, novel level with not much in it.
What the level actually is, is a VERY long 1-off level; the kind that overstays its welcome. However! I did also spend some time exploring, so maybe that bumped up the time more than it should.
The segments themselves are... Well constructed, I'd say, but... I'd say trim them down or separate them into different acts once it's a proper time to do so; otherwise it's too long. As I kept going, I managed to obtain like 6 tokens (to be fair, 3 of them were in the same spot), and after a while I started being like "Wait, a checkpoint? how long does this last?!".
My first play through lasted 24 minutes of in-game time, probably longer due to dying to the boss 2 or 3 times. And speaking of...
I think the boss needs a heavy rework. First: I don't like that he counter-attacks you at point-blank range. It wouldn't be as much of a problem... If he spend time lower on the ground, allowing you to get some momentum and then bouncing off. But on my end, he constantly warped over onto ledges and required me to slow down, climb up, line up and hit him, only to get hit back. And then, he began teleport spamming while throwing projectiles that go through objects. most of the time was spent with me running around trying to *find* him, only for him to go away or smack me on the face with a projectile and fling me across the arena.
And then, once I beat him... I saw nothing happening and thought I was stuck; the arrow in the floor was pointing towards a wall I couldn't break, and I was under the impression the arena was surrounded by took barriers. I was wrong; and died by noticing late what I had to do in order to finish the level.
The music choice was... Kind of annoying, I'll be honest, but I suppose I can't put much criticism on that front.
Overall... This could use a lot of improvement, but I can see how much thought and effort went into it regardless. I know you can make something even better.
Good effort here, Zaxel!

4) Alabaster Fountain Zone by BronsoKip:

I'll get this right out of the way: The music was unable to play on my end, as the game says the lump isn't found. The game also mentions FOFs tagged 10, 367 and 79 have a top height below its bottom. I figured I should let the creator know that just in case.
Onto actual thoughts of the level! So, this was a nice level all in all, I'd say. Kind of empty and samey, though. I liked the aesthetic, but the areas barely looked different from one another, so I'd imagine it'd be kind of easy to get lost. I like that for the most part the level wasn't stressful; which is something I rarely see. So maybe that's a good point, depending on what was intended.
I did notice one upper path leading to... What seemed to nothing other than just skipping orbinauts on the lower path.
Well, in the end, I think this level's kinda nice; maybe a bit too long? Although perhaps that was stretched because of my intention of exploring constantly. Take that for what you will.
I also noticed a secret button, but I don't think I ever found out what it was for, but that was probably just me missing something, haha.
Nice job, BronsoKip.

5) Overgrown Heights Zone Act 2 by InferNOr:

Man, I actually really liked this! In spite of the... Thick shading that made things a bit too dark for my liking, but regardless.
The length was pretty good (6 minutes and a half because of slight exploring on the path I took), the level design wasn't too punishing (despite some of the badniks used), and overall it was a pretty nice level.
If I were to take something away, I'd give it more visibility in terms of lighting, but that's probably just my taste.
The level was absolutely gorgeous as well!
Good job, InferNOr!

6) Gate Garden Zone by Ruberjig:

Quite the quirky level, I think! At one point I thought I was stuck, but I forgot I could break those concrete blocks with a spin.
As a bit of feedback, though, I'd recommend making those concrete/rocky blocks look cracked to indicate you can break them, though. At first I thought they were switches, and I forgot you could break them after that.
Curious mishmash of certain badniks along with the new enemy. The level seemed fine enough though! Level design was nice, not too challenging yet not too easy or empty. Neither too cluttered. Textures were bright and colorful, nice on the eyes, music choice was charming.
Overall, I liked this level. Nice job, Ruberjig!

7) Fatal Factory Zone by Kuba11:

Sometimes it got a little bit confusing as to where to go (sometimes I thought I reached dead ends when the exit was always there), and some parts looked a little cramped in terms of space, but overall I think this is a good level too. Everything seemed to work fine, the music choice was neat... Level wasn't too long nor short. I will admit that for the most part I was constantly afraid of the flashing floors, walls and ceilings, since those hurt you in Egg Rock Zone but... Not here, from the looks of it. Kind of clashes, so I'd suggest changing what is safe to something that does look safe.
Regardless, I enjoyed playing through it. Good work, Kuba11!

8) Galactic Facility Zone by Mondongo:

This one... Could be better, honestly. A small nitpick I have is that the tiles used for the level sometimes made me feel like my character was tiny in comparison; the size of an ant, because the tiles were just that big. But that's a minor thing.
Onto something else, I don't think I saw a single Checkpoint in the route I took. So, every time I died, I had to start from scratch. I suggest placing Checkpoints before the Outer Space sections.
... And speaking of, those sections... Definitely could be improved. They felt aimless, and constantly saw nooks and crannies that made me think: "Is that where I have to go?" only to find out, most of the time, that it wasn't the case. I died quite a few times before I couldn't find out what was the proper path. I'd suggest placing an arrow made of rings that indicate what part you should be going into for progress.
The rest was serviceable, even if the level was... Kind of empty? Maybe that's just me.
Overall this was a good attempt at a map, and I hope you can improve. Nice job, Mondongo.

9) Square City Zone by Riolucariolu:

Surprisingly a kind of short level! Straightforward, not many branching paths... I was slightly disappointed, but honestly? I'm fine with it as well.
Being a straight-forward level let me focus and enjoy a specific path without thinking "Maybe I could go that way instead" constantly, or something akin to that.
Something else I noticed was... The lack of life, sort of. There's barely any badniks in the level, only like a handful. Otherwise the level is pretty tame, and something pretty easy to get through. If that was intended, then I suppose that's a job well done, although I feel a few more badniks could be sprinkled in, such as the ones from Techno Hill.
The music selection was... Slightly grating because of the guitar, but nothing too bad.

Overall I think this is a fine level. Can definitely be improved, and doesn't have an annoying downside to it. Good job, Riolucariolu!

10) Dark Marsh by Vixuzen:

Heavy Rayman 2 vibes from this level; wouldn't be surprised if the textures were from that game!
It's a good thing I was playing as Sonic & Tails. Tails immediately made me notice the... "Gimmick" of the level. Still, I was able to avoid it for the most part (mainly fell a few times due to my own incompetence).
This definitely was a challenging level, and it was probably made in mind with that. Sometimes the level was a bit too dark to see but that's probably something I can look past.
The level was absolutely cluttered with enemies, though! The robo-hoods definitely kept me on my toes, mainly because they were nearly everywhere.
I noticed one of the walls during a latter tunnel-like portion lacked a thok barrier though, which... I feel is worth pointing out. Kinda wish I could post a .gif of it but I can't with this text size.
wHOu5SbIPo12gAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

wHOu5SbIPo12gAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

Overall this level was fun, if challenging. At the top of my head I don't see much that can be improved, saved for... Maybe lowering the amount of robo-hoods? That's about it, though.
Good job, Vixuzen!

11) Foliage Furnace Zone by Kwiin & Kanna:

I have mixed feelings about this one. This is an incredibly gorgeous level that combines red and green for a lava furnace and nature climb theming, and the music is nice to listen to as well.
The level design as definitely busy, what with all the bumps, and springs, and decorations, badniks, etc... This is a very full level, all in all!
However, sometimes I felt disoriented whenever I was going through the nature sections; and the latter half of the level with the spinning platforms was... Difficult to deal with, to say the least. It wasn't until I started finding ways to *ignore* using them that I had fun. Maybe that was the point (choosing the faster, upper path over the platforming one when possible, like in Classic games), but regardless I didn't have as much fun in that section.
Everything else was fine, but I have a small... Advantage? as I played this one more than once; first play through was late at night while this one was with a clearer head. So, take my comments with a grain of salt.
Maybe make the nature paths a bit more visible if you could, but it's fine if you don't.
Overall I liked this level, though it's definitely challenging, that's for sure.
Good job, Kwiin & Kanna!

12) Azlant Ruin Zone by Gambit:

I have mixed feelings about this one as well. Like Foliage Furnace, I have an advantage in that I played the level last night as well as a 2nd time with a clearer head.
When i first played, I took the right path, and never got far because the sections that felt like they required bubbles didn't have them, but this time I took the left path and had a much better time. I was probably missing something out of my own incompetence, so please take that feedback with a grain of salt.
This level, going through the left path, was pretty good. Slow platformer at first, which was fine, but I especially liked the latter half (which, coincidentally was the part where you're not in water, haha). The music choice was pretty nice as well, and the boss fight caught me by surprise, but since it's not new content I wouldn't say it adds much.
Overall, a good job on the level, Gambit!

13) Pagoda Park Zone by Rogerregorroger:

Wow, on a graphical level this was REALLY pleasant to go through! Finding many easter eggs was a joy. The music remix for the first part was pretty solid as well, and the rest of the music is something I liked quite a bit too.
Overall seems like a solidly-built level all around, not many things come up as to what feedback to give.
The one thing that comes to mind is the saw blades on the waterslide portions; touching what I thought was just stuff holding them up somehow hurt me, which I found confusing.
One of the saws on the left-hand side of the 2nd waterslide was able to hurt me, even though my character didn't exactly look like it was close to it either.
Other than that, not much to say. Great level, and great job!

14) Aquatic Port Zone by WasifBoomz:

Oh boy, I apologize in advance if at any point I sound too mean, but I want to be honest. This is also another level I played 2 times; one at night time and one with a clear head.
I did not like this level, even though at first I really wanted to due to its aesthetic and how cool the tiles looked moving around on surfaces.
Some of the level design feels wonky, such as the room with the pipes where you have to jump, drop, spin, stop, jump, and drop in a way that breaks the pacing so much.
And then there's two rooms; one where you can get a Whirlwind shield, and another with 4 switches that manipulate 2 platforms or surfaces (Apparently I can't post pictures, so I'm sorry for not being able to show!).
H3QNMunMyIY6AAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

S54SvM6Er7rDSFXeANbN3ictqJN19XS4X6wQsfAWTO74IdscRgUs5Aia5pEwCRYkjQgHgWATwEmYuZSoopyxdCjNDmHNOsKZAMlL2ZNKaXpaFnwFmJuN7oCTfqVE8a5IkvCq76TrTTcnXJFe7skWUMjnDOWTCEbK6VIb8pmkUnmwtJwOyy5kBhrnhiwDJjAdkEfos9c3dMYXkXkNXkeGubuXDof8fOhBQ6V5tZm8AAAAASUVORK5CYII=
On the first of those, I thought I was stuck for the longest time. I went up to the top and wasn't able to go anywhere. And then I got stuck from a reappearing platform that wouldn't crumble back down by having me touch it-- Why does the structure crumble down when you go into the water / use the spring? I don't understand why. And also, why does the exit of the room not happen where you are? It happens down *under* the portion you are, and at no point was I conditioned to think something like that would happen.
Then, there's the room with the switches. Understanding them wasn't a problem, but getting through them *without a shield* was. The Whirlwind shield from the previous section helped, but it's easy to lose because said shield is sitting right on top of a dangerous floor that you have to maneuver *skillfully* through, otherwise you lose it.
As Sonic only, I was stuck because I had lost the Whirlwind shield and the platforms did not align low enough for Sonic to jump on. Luckily, I was using Sonic & tails, so I had to resort to Tails in order to get out, which I'm guessing wasn't intended.
The goo gimmick along with the fast badniks wasn't... Exactly fun to play through either, but that was the least offender of all, so maybe this can be kept?
I also noticed a surprising lack of slopes here; mainly blocky paths and platforms, but I did notice a few slopes here and there, if small.

Overall, this level could use a LOT of improvement. Once again, I'm sorry if I sounded too harsh. I can see the potential here.
Good luck, and I hope you can improve on your work, WasifBoomz.

15) Shadow of Aztlan Zone by akirahedgehog:

Well, this was... Something alright. Something good! But... Something.
So uh, the visuals, enemies and hazards were pretty unique in looks, if anything. I'll be honest and say that I expected it to get darker and darker as the level went on but personally I'm glad it didn't, haha.
The level design was.. Fine, I'd say. It was definitely enjoyable to go through most of the time, and I especially liked to look around the town somewhere in the first half.
I did find something odd, though.
XCYxfpMq+OkwI+P8CgawoaLr15OAAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

When I look at stuff like this, I think "Well, personally I feel like I should be able to go through that", just like other decorations like bushes, tall grass, etc. Maybe that can be fixed? (EDIT: Gah, I can't believe I missed this one. I can't post a .gif or picture for it yet, but the decor. at the beginning are dead bushes I felt I could go through but couldn't. Sorry!) And speaking of, the SFX of the enemies when dying was... Odd, although the one of the first enemy type seemed fitting.
I liked the part at the end, even if it was kind of short lived, by the way. That, and the part at the very end felt like a tease, lol.
In general, I think this level is nice. Good job, akirahedgehog!

Last edited:

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back