Ring Generator SOC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuja

I'm trying to create an object that will drop a ring every few seconds or so when stood under. Since SOCs aren't really my strong area, I was wondering whether someone could tell me how I would do that?

That's kind of tough. You'll need to use Map Features as well as SOC Features, and I'm not sure you can make the rings it drops actually drop. If someone can prove that you can make the rings actually drop, then I'll type out how to make it drop rings when stood under, because I don't want to write it all out and then find out it doesn't work.

Well Kaysakado, it doesn't really NEED to be stood under, though it would be nice if it did. Somehow, I know that I need to change the object to behave like a Skim, but I'm lost anywhere beyond that.

Reference the skim frames for clues on how to drop things when its over you, if you cannot do it without it chasing you set the thing speed to 0.

Then have an object that falls be dropped, but spawn a ring at death (sort of death a bubble has) The object could even use ring frames to make the illusion of a dropping ring...

Then make the spawned ring flicker (I dunno how to do that) so it doesn't pile up if the player decides to move.

Set the mapthingnum to a number not used yet and place it on your map.

In theory, should work...

JEV3 said:
Then make the spawned ring flicker (I dunno how to do that)
Can't without hardcoding. In other news, I'm able to browse the forum and post while my title says I'm tempbanned. ?

Flingrings flicker (not rings you shoot, those are the ones you lose) maybe spawn those instead of ordinary rings.

*resisting temptation to just throw together whole soc* Honestly no wonder I never get anything done... Give it a try though, you learn best by toying with it, if you're still stuck, I might try making it.

Thanks JEV3, but I will try to make it on my own, though.(I'll have to learn sooner or later, anyway) I'm sure its possible, it's just a matter of item replacement, right?

Object is of whatever flags, so long as MF_NOGRAVITY is one of them.

Spawnstate loops itself, calling A_Look each tic, with var1 set to 1.

Seestate uses A_SpawnObjectRelative, with var1 set to 0, and var2 whatever the thingnum for MT_Flingring (A gravity effected ring) it then does nothing for however many tics you want the delay, before returning to the spawnstate.

Any questions?

I would use a variation of what Draykon did, but to make sure it's under you, add mF_PUSHABLE to it's flags, set the Deaf flag in-map, then use some LD Executors to move an intangible, invisible FOF into the ring spawner to change it's state.

I think 'look' uses a semicircle of vision the range defined by a radius (somewhere)... When there is a jetty-syn above and with its back to you, walking directly under it sends it after you doesn't it?

Copy the ring thing item. Give it a mapthing# of -1. Uncheck the gravity flag. Spawn that instead of normal rings. And then do Draykon's A_Look thing.

I'm just wondering how you guys are gonna get the rings it spawns to work right. Last I checked, there wasn't a way to make another object become collectable like a ring. I mean, you could always just give the normal rings gravity, but that would screw everything else up.

Actually, is there a way to spawn the rings as if you've just dropped them after getting hurt?

*7 HOURS LATER*

Okay, I've almost got it working. The only problem is getting the Flingrings to disappear, which I doubt I'll get to happen, anyway. But thanks for the tips anyway, I'm satisfied with it enough to just work around it. :P

BlueZero4 said:
I'm just wondering how you guys are gonna get the rings it spawns to work right. Last I checked, there wasn't a way to make another object become collectable like a ring. I mean, you could always just give the normal rings gravity, but that would screw everything else up.

Actually, is there a way to spawn the rings as if you've just dropped them after getting hurt?

Draykon said:
Nono, a copy of the ring dosen't act like one. That's why I said MT_FLINGRING, a gravity effected ring.

Are you people like, blind or something?

And no, I don't think there's a way to get the ring to vanish. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back