• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Revival Thread for Pristine Forest - Current Build: .1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZX

Now 100% less jaded!
Well, after a long while, I've finally gotten off my ass and decided to continue Pristine Forest. How long has it been? A couple of months 'er something?... I don't effin' know...

Anyways, a LOT has changed since the last release which was released <insert accurate timeframe here> ago.

...Alright, maybe not a LOT, per say... but hopefully enough to change some views on the level. -Gets behind bomb shield in preparation for D00D64- LET THE WARFARE BEGIN!

Anyways, as of right now, I don't have any screenshots... Mods, if you could be lenient, I'll have 'em up sometime tomorrow, promise! So until then you get this unpromising (and probably "poorly done") level. :D

Links:
Mediafire: http://www.mediafire.com/?nminltwyh3n

Sendspace: http://www.sendspace.com/file/v1va0i

Megaupload: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=12CFIL1J

Anyways, I hope you can enjoy the level and give me some good suggestions. And please don't give away anything people wouldn't know at first, like certain concealed secrets. Good luck finding them~ ;3

...To further elaborate on the suggestions part, I would really like to hear criticism for changes and whether or not it's worth continuing. Much obliged~

CHANGELOG
May 14 - Project aborted. Levelmaking days are over.
May 13 - v.1 released for criticism and motivational purposes.

Last edited:
Okay, this level is really short. I know you're going to fix that, and it was probably already obvious.
The level doesn't really play that well: I could just easily jump and thok over everything, the secrets were too easy, and the low ceiling was very annoying. Speaking of the ceiling, you could've lowered the ceiling and give it the leaves texture instead of using a FOF. Furthermore, the level was cramped at many points, particularly the 1-up room and all the secret rooms.
It didn't look all that spectacular either, with the tree trunk texture used for almost every wall, and there was also a bit of a lack in detail.
Nothing more to say, really.

Okay, this level is really short. I know you're going to fix that, and it was probably already obvious.
The level doesn't really play that well: I could just easily jump and thok over everything, the secrets were too easy, and the low ceiling was very annoying. Speaking of the ceiling, you could've lowered the ceiling and give it the leaves texture instead of using a FOF. Furthermore, the level was cramped at many points, particularly the 1-up room and all the secret rooms.
It didn't look all that spectacular either, with the tree trunk texture used for almost every wall, and there was also a bit of a lack in detail.
Nothing more to say, really.

I have to agree with him, but I'll put a few observations:

* At the end of the level, there is no end sign.

* I think it has a lot of water at a level which only has a lot of trees.

* The level has no challenges, just have a lot of enemies.

that's all I have to say.

I have to agree with him, but I'll put a few observations:

* At the end of the level, there is no end sign.

* I think it has a lot of water at a level which only has a lot of trees.

* The level has no challenges, just have a lot of enemies.

that's all I have to say.
Alright, clearly the "end" is a problem. Let me just say this: that is NOT the true end of the level. I plan to have it extended further (hopefully 20 or more seconds).

I also noticed I went far overboard on the water. I guess my like of the use of water in that game doesn't fit here... obviously.
Spherallic said:
Speaking of the ceiling, you could've lowered the ceiling and give it the leaves texture instead of using a FOF.

I had to use an FOF so that I could keep the proper sky intact for openings in the canopy.

Spherallic said:
the level was cramped at many points

I noticed. I'm actually thinking about starting from scratch on this level.

Spherallic said:
the secrets were too easy

I figured I should have left them concealed as they were before...

Spherallic said:
and there was also a bit of lack in detail.

Build .1 - it's nowhere near completion.

Anyways, I've decided to rebuild this level from scratch, considering the fact that the redundancy (and lack) of gimmicks and textures, as well as the way I made it, doesn't leave a great opening for texture variation and the like.

ZX said:
Spherallic said:
Speaking of the ceiling, you could've lowered the ceiling and give it the leaves texture instead of using a FOF.
I had to use an FOF so that I could keep the proper sky intact for openings in the canopy.
You can still do that when you use the method I described: just make the 'opening' have a greater ceiling height, and give it the F_SKY1 flat, as you would normally do. Be sure to specify the upper textures in that case.

Done.

Well, I'm done with the level. As in, I'm done with it and levelmaking. I don't have any motivation, and it seems to me that every level I make has no promise to it; just a waste of time.

Whoever wants to can take this and make it whatever they want. I'm done with it.

And this isn't a plea for attention or anything like that. Mapping just isn't fun to me like it used to be.

Last edited:
Wait, you just have started, and this is no doubt better than most beginners' maps. In the end, it's your decision, but I do think you can create something good with a bit of practice. Mapping for SRB2 is not an easy thing to do correctly, and requires you to try and try again.

Wait, you just have started, and this is no doubt better than most beginners' maps. In the end, it's your decision, but I do think you can create something good with a bit of practice. Mapping for SRB2 is not an easy thing to do correctly, and requires you to try and try again.
This project has been going for well over three months now, and there's no recognizable progress, nor any possible potential to it at all.

This isn't my first map, it's roughly my fiftieth. If nothing's improved since then (which it hasn't), then nothing will change. Period.

Besides, I have no motivation behind it anymore. I used to love doing it for fun, but now, I just don't really care anymore. But eh.

Heh, same. Used to do it for fun but I'm just bored of it now. Don't really blame you ZX.

If you don't have motivation to map, don't. The map won't turn out the way you planned, and you won't enjoy your completed level. Whenever your inspiration returns, come back and finish this, but don't force yourself to. Mapping is a hobby, don't feel to inclined to do it if you don't really want to.

Regarding the actual map, I'd like it if you finished this, because it's actually pretty fun, and I was disappointed to see it end so early.

This applies to you to, Ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back