Revival of Sonic X-treme!? Project S...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might be kinda late on this but, i noticed on wikipedia about something called Project S. It seems to be a revival or remake of the never released Sonic X-treme.

For all the people who dont know what Sonic X-treme is, let me recap.

Sonic_Xtreme_Box.gif

Sonic X-treme- was a Sonic game that was originally developed by Sega for the Mega Drive/Genesis but was moved to the Sega 32X and eventually to the Sega Saturn and intended to be released around Christmas of 1996, but after numerous problems and a long hiatus of development hell, it was finally dropped in 1997. This game was supposed to battle it out with super mario 64 but since the game was never finished in time and sega thought it was too late, they finally killed it. Recently, the game's director Chris Senn has organized a Sonic X-treme remake project entitled Project S, which started development late in 2006.

For more info on Sonic X-treme, check these websites,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_Xtreme
http://sost.emulationzone.org/sonic_xtreme/index.htm
http://sost.emulationzone.org/sonic_xtreme_718/index.htm

This game is started to be delevoped by around this time, late 2006. Most likely, this game will not be sold since Cris Senn is probably not with sega anymore and it would be illegal to sell it. This might mean that it will probably be free on the internet for people to play. I think its 2 generations to late for an exact port of this game, most likely, this will be a remake.

I wanna know what you guys think, would you play this game? Will you not? Would you wanna get it? Will you blame this piece of crap? I wanna know what you guys think.... please respond your comments.

-RgxSuperSonic

About time news reached this place. I happen to be part of the team working on this game. I'm one of the story writers. So far, planning has been going quite fine. It's probably only a matter of time before pre-production starts. I've also come up with a concept for a rival for Sonic that is MUCH more awesome than both Shadow and Metal Sonic combined. :D

I was hoping they would remake Sonic Xtreme. I always thought it would be a good game no matter what kind oe system it was on.
So, FINNALY!!!

I'm not so sure about this, despite 'sort of' working on this project (just providing graphics programming advice when needed).

Here's the big problem with Sonic X-Treme. Looking at screenshots and watching small video clips, it looks 'really cool', perhaps boosted by the "Only real Sonic game on the Saturn" mantra.

But if you know much about mixing gameplay with level design, you can tell it really was better off being canceled. It looks a lot like trying to play modern SRB2 in our old levels made back in 1999...they're extremely cramped; You never go much faster than Mario. Everything in X-Treme is also at 90 degree angles. Yes, it makes collision detection fast and easy, but it can also get really boring really fast.

Another problem that cronosonic pointed out, is deviation from the original gameplan. Everyone is going to want to put their 'own little thing' in the game, and that is just going to destroy it.

Personally, I think Chris Senn is using X-Treme to give him something to do when he comes home from his day job (does he even have a job right now?) because there isn't anything better to do. While it's nice getting all of these 'development materials', I question the authenticity of some of them, and wondering if he's actually creating more stuff right now, and releasing it as old stuff. It really isn't 'real Sonic' anyway, since the game was being worked on by about 4 americans locked in a closet, with a lot of things being created AFTER departure from Sega. Nobody on the team (for any significant length of time), had ever worked on Sonic before.

...and I thought Howard Drossin was doing the music, not Chris Senn.

Tiara Boobowski... how stupid. Not only is it a VERY American name (or polish), but it's another example of totally unnecessary character creation - they've already got Amy, so use her. Tiara's father really isn't important to the story either, he could easily be removed and retain all of the same concepts.

I hope Project S to turn out good, anyway, I'm a bit skeptic of it.
SSNTails already exposed some if its biggest problems.

Thats true, i heard alot about the game only looking good (for a 5th generation system) and the gameplay didn't look good at all. I was wondering though, maybe you know this SSNTAILS, i heard a rumor that this game was actually the first sonic game to feature the lightdash. I have also heard that the lightdash was supposed to be a major gameplay element with the spike ball special attack in this game. Also for Tiara Boobowski (>_< this is a stupid name), i heard that she really wasn't supposed to be a love interest for Sonic, but in fact, i dont know. Not much is known about the game, and the only known beta/demo of the game was conned from the community. The only real facts of Sonic X-treme that i knew was,

Features-
Playable characters included, Sonic, Tails, Tiara, and knuckles

Levels in a fish-lens view

Sonic can use the lightdash

Sonic has a special technique which spikes shoot out of the spindash
(similar to goron link in LOZ:MM)

3d graphics

levles and boss fights made by diffrent delevopers
Metal Sonic and Nack the wesal (Fang the sniper) as bosses but bigger..

Other then that, i really dont know much about Sonic X-treme.

RgxSuperSonic said:
and the only known beta/demo of the game was conned from the community

Heh... Do you remember the big Sonic X-Treme beta joke that happened back in April? XP

tails92 said:
RgxSuperSonic said:
and the only known beta/demo of the game was conned from the community

Heh... Do you remember the big Sonic X-Treme beta joke that happened back in April? XP

What do you mean? Was it a hoax or something? There is actual proof that the beta actually existed.

Rgx, that beta that appeared on the torrents was faked by drx.
A real beta does exist, but it never surfaced to the net.

Wow... i can't believe the website had to shut down now.....

Well, like i said, i don't know much about Sonic X-treme or anything about the beta, maybe it was a hoax maybe not... Th truth is, no one knows the whole story.

cronosonic said:
[...] I happen to be part of the team working on this game. I'm one of the story writers. [...] I've also come up with a concept for a rival for Sonic that is MUCH more awesome than both Shadow and Metal Sonic combined. :D
So you're saying it will suck horribly, then? Damn. And I was looking hopeful at this. :| Oh well. Back to Kid Radd with me, then.

Actually, I've been meaning to preserve as many of the original elements from Sonic X-Treme as possible in my story draft. The only 'new' characters that are practically set to be included, are Tiara and her dad, and MSM3, or as I nicknamed him, Arioso.

And yes, Arioso IS the rival I was talking about. Note that he was based off Chris Senn's drawings of a concept for a robot of the same name. Just give him a 'mean little kid' personality, a design that Robotnick practically outdid himself to achieve, and lookie, you've got a machine that can match Sonic enough to consistantly tie with him on every instance.

Plus, we'll most likely see the return of Nack, and possibly one or two other old characters.

And this ain't exactly a remake, you know. It's more of a 'reimagining', of Sonic X-Treme. Chris is only the supervisor, and we're the ones working on it. We've got one hell of a team, and quite a few members are quite talented. It hasn't even entered the pre-production stage yet, so don't give judgement on a project that's barely even started.

Oh, THAT. Chis hasn't mentioned any demo or anything, but we probably don't need it. I've only seen videos of X-Treme, of levels that Chris made with Ofer Alon's (The good friend of his whom he orginally worked with to try and make a PC version X-Treme) engine. That's enough for me.

Forgive me, but I fail to care about this - at least, until something tangible comes out of it (ie: playable demo of some sort).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back