Question... (couldn't think of a better title)

Would you compete if SRB2 was a game competed in at TSC?

• Of course!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'd give it a go, I suppose.

• I'd have to see how tough the competition was.

• Nah, this isn't my thing...

• This game shouldn't be available to compete in at TSC.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

gs93

I'm sure some people here have heard of TSC, and for those of you who don't know, check it out real fast.

Now, to the point: TSC is expanding, and one of the proposed "new" competitions is in Sonic Fan Games. Considering that this goes above and beyond what a good fangame is [/suck-up], ARRPEEGEE and I were wondering if anyone would compete if this game was a catagory on the new TSC. It's not really a hardcore competition site: you could submit two times and never come back, and it would be no big deal.

I doubt this is against any copyright laws or anything, but I figured I'd make it known that this was planned, in case one of the SRB2 programmers wants to say, "No, this is my game, you shouldn't be doing this."

EDIT: Forgot to mention, Mystic Realm would be included in the competition too. The competition catagories are usually Times, Scores, and Rings.

Yeah, I intended to make a topic asking permission from the programmers concering TSC4 relativly soon but gs93's beat me to it covered it above and beyond how I could in words.

~RPG

The major problem is that SRB2 netplay, while much better than it ever was, is still laggy and relatively unstable. That makes holding actual competitions very hard, since the host is always going to have a slight advantage and the game will crash out every once in a while.

Mystic said:
The major problem is that SRB2 netplay, while much better than it ever was, is still laggy and relatively unstable. That makes holding actual competitions very hard, since the host is always going to have a slight advantage and the game will crash out every once in a while.

Maybe a few modifications could even the playing field. Or it could just be done with dedicated servers. There's still the lagging problem though.

The idea of SRB2 tournaments has gotten brought up a huge amount of times in the past, and none of them have ever gotten beyond even the planning stages.

I don't even know why we're talking about multiplayer. I'm pretty certain they just mean speed-runs in the SP stages.

I say go for it. This game'd work pretty well with the system, IMO.

Once everyone has Mystic and Spazzo's internets, playing will not be a problem. Yay.

Shadow Hog said:
I don't even know why we're talking about multiplayer. I'm pretty certain they just mean speed-runs in the SP stages.

I say go for it. This game'd work pretty well with the system, IMO.

TSC4 wont be a series of netplay competitions, heh, it is indeed speed/score/ring runs throughout the single player stages, as you said.

IMO, I find this more fun than an actual netplay competiton (And not just because Ive been competing like that since November '03 either <_<), it just seems much more competitive..if that makes sense?

Its like, you go out and set a record, you go to sleep that night, you wake up and people may have beaten it, so then you go beat them back and such, competition this way can last days, even weeks, even months, and in the case of Championships being played back and forth, even _years_.

~RPG

^Whoops. Sorry I didn't specify that it wasn't a netplay competition. Seems like I'm still geting support anyways, though. Thanks for letting me know that most of you are okay with this, except for one rebel.
*pulls out gun*

Mystic said:
What I think would work real well is if lag worked like wifi on Mario Kart DS; if one player has a bad connection, it's only that player that lags, and the only thing the other players notice is the lagger... freezing, or something. I don't know how it would work, or what the consequences would be, but maybe that would be a possibility.

We should really stop talking about multiplayer when it's got nothing to do with the topic at hand...

Yeah, I know I'm not a mod, and can't MAKE you, but still.

Well the issue with doing time attacks in SRB2 is that it's not done. There will be changes, and that will affect Time Attack. The demo recording in SRB2 does make verification pretty easy, though.

We know. We've heard of the new zones, and how Castle Eggman may disappear. We can accomadate changes.

We were planning on demanding proof for questionable times. How does demo recording work, though? I could never find that out. I was just gonna say to use FRAPS unregistered, and to pause during the breaks every 30 seconds. Please, enlighten me.

The demo recording feature isn't really foolproof or anything yet, but it's done with the command line.

-record demoname
-playdemo demoname

It'll store the demo as demoname.lmp in the SRB2 directory.

What I mean, though, is that we'll be doing modifications to the stages you see in the game. Time attack records would be totally cleared for 1.1.

Yeah, I was gonna post something stating about acommodating changes etc

Also I use Camtasia Studio 3 for my recordings, I assume this Demo Recording doodah records SRB2, if so, how does it work and what quality does it give? >_>

As for the mentioning of TA records clearing, if they've already been proofed, what harm can it done?

ARRPEEGEE said:
Also I use Camtasia Studio 3 for my recordings, I assume this Demo Recording doodah records SRB2, if so, how does it work and what quality does it give? >_>
Demo recording basically just records your keypresses in-game, then plays them back when you play the demo.

http://www.geocities.com/furiousfox1988/demo.zip - This is a demo of me going through GFZ as Tails. Select Tails as your character, then type PLAYDEMO DEMO in the console.

Aha, makes sense, I must try this out

EDIT: Wow, thats funky~ :o

Worked great up until the spikes, then it went strange and had you running into a wall, jumping and then rolling before the level ended, which, I can only assume, isnt what you did >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back