Question about mapping...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I am attempting to make a sky-type level. I would very much appreciate help on how to make the sky in all directions. I found out how to make it the floor and the ceiling (which was very easy), but I am having difficulty with the "walls". Could someone help?

thanks in advance.

You can make sky appear in the walls using the thok barrier, by making the ceiling and floor flat 'F_SKY1' and making both the ceiling and floor of the thok barrier be exactly the same height as the floor of the sector it's surrounding. (It will show the 'missing texture' in 3-D mode, but In-game it shows the sky.

And DroxSorcerer, your method will not bring the sky's special effect.

You forgotten to mention that the texture must be set to "-" (no texture). Otherwise the texture will be shown.

It can be done with only the floor of ceiling being F_SKY1 if you want to have the effect only on the above or below texture, respectively.

ok...now I need to know how to make floating sectors like in GFZ2 (I believe), there is a floating block with a spring near the end of the level.

Do you mean blocks (formerly known as FOFs)? Get customed to them, they're the most common kind of stuff you'll be able to do. Linedef type 25 is a standard solid block and the one you're likely to use mostly, if that helps.

Sik said:
You forgotten to mention that the texture must be set to "-" (no texture). Otherwise the texture will be shown.

I'm really sure that adding a texture doesn't block the sky, and that it ignores the texture as if it didn't exist...

What I was talking about earlier is (to give a crappy example):

[] <---floating sector to walk on

____________________ <---floor

how do I do this?

'FOF' stands for 'Floor Over Floor', which is also known as a floating block in some cases.

Read the wiki if you want to find out how to make a floating platform/block/sector/FOF/anything else you can call it, etc.

Here is a page to the part of the wiki you'll need:
Floor Over Floor - SRB2 Wiki

Monster Iestyn said:
Sik said:

I'm really sure that adding a texture doesn't block the sky, and that it ignores the texture as if it didn't exist...
No, the texture blocks the sky in the wall. SRB2 relies on a bug of the raycasting engine to get it working (later the game was programmed to detect it and treat it properly), if the texture isn't set, then the flat continues rendering where the wall should be. Since the flat is the sky, you get that the sky is rendered through all the wall. That's how the effect works.

Water is just a special kind of FOF. Most stuff you can do are blocks, and all are set similarly, so just check the list.

Make the "deepness" of the tunnel and put a FOF over where the original height was. In other words, work from the bottom up. CAKE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back