Proper Shading for SRB2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sykotic

What would you consider to be the proper knd of shading for SRB2? I know there's a lot of considerations, so explain what you think. I know that "The way the official characters are done" will come up, but tell me anyway.

I "shade" somewhat realistically. Personally, light falls someplaces, and light doesn't fall in others. The parts that light doesn't fall on are naturally going to be darker, so I use a darker color to color those areas.

...which is why people don't like pillow shading. It's just using some stupid rule to color your character, rather than making the shading compliment the shape of the character.

Cat.png
That's how I shade. Pretty much what BZ said. Anyways, that's my first, and so far only pixel art request. Get my pixel art today! *shot*[/advertisement]

This is mine-

playb1sp5.png

Bonus points to who can guess who this is.

EDIT- Just so you know, this is edited from Sonic. You can't really tell though, can you?

Ding ding ding, it is nights. Now here's an update picture. And he is a mainstream character too, so I'll be doing him at the same rate as Chiisu.wad. Plus since he flies, I think he'll be done faster.

For his running, he'll do that really cool corkscrew thing.

playb1oy9.png

If the character is meant to be glowing or very shiny, it would look best to use less shading than on normal ones.

Sykotic said:
Ding ding ding, it is nights. Now here's an update picture. And he is a mainstream character too, so I'll be doing him at the same rate as Chiisu.wad. Plus since he flies, I think he'll be done faster.

For his running, he'll do that really cool corkscrew thing.

playb1oy9.png

I'm going to have to tell you that NiGHTS just isn't practical in SRB2 without making him look totally distorted. I've tried. It doesn't work. You need tons of new purple shades that even 1.1's palette doesn't have.

That's what's needed.

Exactly. Believe me, I've wanted a real NiGHTS in SRB2 for a long time. But, quite simply, it's impossible to have a good looking one in either 1.09.4's or 1.1's palette. It's just not doable.

Hmm... Let me rework one of the frames and get back to you on that.

EDIT-
playb2b8bl8.png

I dunno' about you guys, but I think I can make this work.

I'm trying to make it look SRB2 proportioned though. See, I figured that since Sonic is about NiGHTS's size in Riders, I'll make the proportions similar here. It's an odd way of doing it, but hey. Works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back