Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRose

LOL Man
Well, I am learning programming and I have some questions. Other users can post questions too.

What was your first programming language that you learned?

How many programming languages do know and use?

Whats a good programming language to learn?

What are some good editors for writing a program?

How did you learn programming?

Digiku said:
Why do you program?

I am sure there are more questions I can ask. I will add them later.

PS. I am learning Liberty BASIC.

jrose05 said:

C is a good language to learn, since a lot of programs use that language, like Srb2.

Dev C++ is what most of people on the forum use to compile programs and it's free.

DashFox2007 said:
jrose05 said:

C is a good language to learn, since a lot of programs use that language, like Srb2.

Dev C++ is what most of people on the forum use to compile programs and it's free.

C/C++ is one of the best programming languages you can learn, but I heard that it is hard to learn. That is why I am starting with Liberty BASIC then I will study other programming languages like C/C++ later.

jrose05 said:

PHP is probably the easiest, though it would help to know some HTML first.

jrose05 said:

Well, I'm not too sure if you can even write a program with this, but Greenfoot is a nice thing for making games.

My first language was HTML --> PHP --> javascript (yeah, I know, wrong order much?) then I started on VB.NET and C/C++

The book I am reading to learn Liberty BASIC is Beginning Programming For Dummies, 3rd Edition

jrose05 said:
Well, I am learning programming and I have some questions. Other users can post questions too.

I am sure there are more questions I can ask. I will add them later.

Python.

I know 1, but I don't use it.

I don't know. I'm guessing C++.

Meh.

At school.

I started with BASIC and that didn't really help at all. Then I did a bit of Java basics for a while and now i'm messing with C++. C/C++ seems to be the way to go I guess.

QBASIC for MS-DOS 5.0

C/C++/VB/C++.NET/PHP

C# for .NET, ASP.NET. Lots of companies are using .NET now. If you only know C, you're going to have to get into the niche markets of embedded devices and UNIX programming.

Oh, and don't learn COBOL or Fortran unless you want to hold geek conversations with old CompSci professors.

You mean IDEs, Integrated Development Environments. I swear by Visual Studio 6. I'll use VS.NET 2005 if I have to, as well.

Looking at examples, and modifying the examples to do what I wanted.

What's that? Some kind of free, open source BASIC?

DashFox2007 said:

Dev-C++ is a pretty dead IDE. Most people have switched over to VS Express these days.

jrose05 said:
1) What was your first programming language that you learned?
2) How many programming languages do know and use?
3) Whats a good programming language to learn?
4) What are some good editors for writing a program?
5) How did you learn programming?
1) Visual BASIC. I hated it.
2) I know and use C/++
3) I personally like C++ because I know it, but I've heard that C# is way better.
4) Microsoft Visual C++ is what I use. Programmer's Notepad and Dev-C++ are pretty good, too.
5) High school.

jrose05 said:
BASIC. I still use it sometimes, but not much

5. BASIC, bbcode (if that counts), HTML, javascript, and a bit of C++. I don't use them alot, but when I get bored (or fed up with the doom builder), I mess around with them.
[colo =red]C++ is good for making stand-alone applications, but if you're planning on making web pages, learn HTML and jscript first.[/color]
notepad is the best
Mainly through books. I have taken a C++ class, but I didn't learn much...

Ooh, I like these.

If HTML counts, then HTML.

HTML/MMF/PHP/Javascript/Batch (Windows); in order of learning. Out of them all, I probably know PHP the most (yes, you can use PHP without HTML and web sites.)
I'm slowly trying to get grips of C/C++. Most I've done so far with C is compile a DLL that intentionally does nothing (I wanted to store resources in it.) :)

I find PHP fantastic for that. The basic programming concepts are coherent, while the core methods are easy to call. With C, I hear you sort of have to do all of the methods yourself.

I don't use IDEs. I have a difficult time following them. :)
I like Notepad++, myself. It's quite exquisite: syntax highlighting, a function browser (even for a text editor!), and code folding.

One word: Examples. Trial and error was also a major part of that. I learn a language by applying concepts that I use in a real world setting, especially with projects I release into the public. Maptosvg is a great example.

I think this is a good question, too:

Why do you program?
Honestly, I don't exercise programming for fun. I mainly program out of necessity. If I need something and it's not there, I make it myself. That's how I learned Javascript: I wanted to make a few gadgets for Windows Sidebar. :)

Digiku said:
I think this is a good question, too:

Why do you program?

That is a great question. I will add that to my list.

SSNTails said:

What's that? Some kind of free, open source BASIC?

Yuh thats what it is. More info on the Wiki page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_BASIC

I was asking all these question because I have a lot of so called E-Books(books on the computer)about programming and other stuff. I just don't know were to begin. None of them said like Beginning Programming. Thats why I bought the book Beginning Programming For Dummies. But BASIC is only the beginning for me to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back