Ports vs Remasters vs Remakes vs Reimaginings

time gear

Eternity in an hour
The terminology can be pretty confusing sometimes, so for the sake of clarity I will use my own definitions for what each of these are so as to make understanding what I'm talking about easier. I'll condense these into a spoiler tab for those who want them:

Port: The original source code is used with very little difference in content in an attempt to optimize the game for release on another system. Example: Sonic Unleashed on the PS3 and Xbox 360

Remaster: The original source code of the game is used for a re-release that has new features and/or improved graphics. Example: Darksiders Warmastered Edition

Remake: The game is rebuilt from the ground up to take advantage in advances in technology since the original release, but otherwise is still the same game. Can have new features or make minor changes to existing ones in an attempt to make the experience better. Usually has better graphics. Example: Spyro Reignited Trilogy

Reimagining: A sort of reboot in which the game is based on an existing title or overall franchise, but story, game mechanics, and/or level design are subject to being changed or overhauled in an attempt to improve over the original, as if it was only just now being made for the first time. Example: DmC: Devil May Cry

I view each of these things in listed order to be potentially more difficult and expensive to make than the one before it. The topic of discussion is this: What are your thoughts on each type of re-release, and what are some examples of games you'd like to see re-released in each category? No TLDR, but for those who care to read them here's my thoughts condensed into convenient spoiler tabs:

There's not really much to say about ports normally. The biggest factors to take under consideration usually are which systems a game is being released for, whether you own any of these systems, how well the game runs on each of these systems, and which if any version you'd like to get based on that information. Things get more interesting when you take into consideration delayed ports, such as games finally coming to another system well after the initial release or being included in a bundle of ports. These types of releases can be really hype, as they make games potentially far more accessible than they were previously and as such make it more likely you're able to finally play them.

A game I'd love to see get a new series of ports is Sonic Unleashed. I missed out on my opportunity to play this when it first came out, and I'd love the chance to properly play it on PC with a nice smooth framerate and modding potential.

Although remasters make use of the original source code, these generally count as entirely separate releases of the game, with their own title. The wait for these to come out is usually only a few years after the original release of the game, and it can come out on the same system as the original. When fanbases see these coming, it's not unusual for people to hold off on buying a game until the remaster comes out. Even in the event in which it's basically just the original game bundled with it's DLC, this can be a practical way of saving money. I'm generally more interested in remasters that come out significantly later and feature unique content however. These versions of games often feel like the definitive way to play, though they can on occasion actually be worse for reasons such as performance issues like low framerate, or the introduction of new bugs/glitches that weren't in the original release.

A game I think really needs the remaster treatment is Sonic 1. A widescreen port of the game on modern consoles would be great, but I'd like to see them go the extra mile and add in new graphics, music, etc. Really modernize it and bring it up to par with the games that have come out since.

Remakes are usually a bit more interesting. Not only can these come to systems that didn't get the original game, but these have the potential to be even better versions of the games. There's always going to be purists who prefer the originals for reasons such as nostalgia or preference of the original gameplay or etc. but for me the real excitement is the potential these bring for not only making the experience better, but some of these changes potentially making their way into future titles in the same franchise. I generally don't worry too much about if a remake might be bad, because if a good game gets a bad remake, the original still exists anyway. That can't be taken away.

I'd love to see a remake of the entire Mega Man Zero series as one big game with one big story, divided into four chapters that are played in sequence. I'd love to see it get fleshed out with full voice acting, 2.5D graphics, non-canon unlockable playable characters such as the Four Guardians, Copy X, and Omega Zero, and maybe even an online coop/pvp mode.

The most interesting of these by far to me is Reimaginings. I often wonder about games I played a long time ago and how different they would be if they were being made for the first time today. Reimaginings feel like a window through which to see what that would be like. Unconstrained by the limitations of the original game, these have the absolute most creative freedom for better or for worse. I always get incredibly excited whenever these get announced.

I desperately, desperately want a reimagining of Mega Man ZX taking inspiration from the Devil May Cry games as well as NieR: Automata. I'd leave the story intact, but nix the gameplay and level design entirely in favor of a more 3D Hack n Slash gameplay style in an open world environment. I'd prefer a more cartoony/anime art style attempting to translate the look of the original game and it's artwork into 3D, but perhaps with a little bit of Borderlands inspiration unafraid to dip just a little bit into realism when needed without compromising that animated look. I'd make the transformations a lot more instantaneous to make swapping between them in combat have a lot better flow, similar to switching weapons in DMC games. The combat would be generally inspired by DMC, while the structure of the open world would be more inspired by NieR: Automata complete with sidequests and unlockable upgrades. As opposed to a linear story however, the player would have a bit more freedom to explore and fight bosses in different orders between playthroughs, with the story in each location not needing to be told in any particular order for the most part.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back