Port forwarding with a batch file.

T0MB$t0n3

Hello fellow players, I was wondering if I could get some help with this, I did (title) and I saw all the servers that were on the server browser in-game, but I can't see mine, is this specific or just a glitch?

What do you mean you port forwarded with a batch file? That's a thing? It would probably help if we could see what exactly the script did.

You cannot port forward with a batch file. It will never appear on the server browser, nor will anyone be able to join it. You must create a port forwarding rule either in your router page or in File Explorer.

What do you mean you port forwarded with a batch file? That's a thing? It would probably help if we could see what exactly the script did.
I borrowed the Dimension Glaber file, turned into an text document, put (not for sure but this method was from way back in the 2.0 days) [-srb2win.exe UDP 5029] and turn it back into a batch, worst case I modified Windows Defender to access all networks for srb2 and did remote port with UDP, should I delete it or keep it in-case people can’t modify their windows defender for some weird reason

So yeah.

Specifying which port to use with a batch file is not the same as forwarding a port. Check our FAQ for info on port forwarding.

I borrowed the Dimension Glaber file, turned into an text document, put (not for sure but this method was from way back in the 2.0 days) [-srb2win.exe UDP 5029] and turn it back into a batch, worst case I modified Windows Defender to access all networks for srb2 and did remote port with UDP, should I delete it or keep it in-case people can’t modify their windows defender for some weird reason

So yeah.

That's not how you forward ports.

Port forwarding is a service offered by your router.
How do you go around doing so varies from router to router - some being simple as "go into the router into this tab and enter requested info", or using the ISP's app to access the router (cringe), or the router exposing something to connected devices for their use... so on so on. But it always involves the router in some fashion.

What you're doing here is (incorrectly) telling SRB2 to launch itself with some parameters through a batch file.
Launching a batch file with -srb2win.exe UDP 5029 makes no sense to Windows. It should throw an error because of the symbol at the start.
Launching a batch file with srb2win.exe -UDP 5029, while it makes more sense (you're launching srb2win.exe with the arguments -UDP 5029), it does not do anything (-UDP is not a valid argument that the game accepts).

You might mean to do srb2win.exe -port 5029, which tells Windows to launch SRB2 with -port 5029, which makes the game use port 5029 as the default hosting port.
However, this won't work as you expect for two reasons:
1) This is the default port used by the game. Specifying this particular port is practically pointless.
2) This does not forward the port. It just tells the game "host using this port", but it's useless if the router doesn't allow connections through that port anyways.

I have no idea what did you do with Windows Defender, but it can't forward the port either. If anything, the Windows Firewall acts like a second layer of protection deciding what programs can perform communications in and out this computer, and you can toggle it off for specific programs, but again, you still have to tell the router to let you host too.

If you know the model and manufacturer of your router, usually searching something like
how to port forward ROUTER_MODEL ROUTER_MANUFACTURER
on a search engine like Google would give you guides or something for you to follow.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back