Pokemon Stereotypes (that might be the right word)

LuminousNeon

Ideally Imperfect
You really can’t possibly get more “bird” than pidgey, if there is a single Pokémon in future generations it’s more of a bird than Pidgey, I will be… astonished, frankly.

Aside from that, what do you think are some other pokemon/animal parallels?

Any minimally sexualized pokemon:
You simp over things you know you can get

This is one of the most common stuff about simping for unreal things after anime

Ehh well, "bird" is very broad terming, considering how birds can take many different shapes and sizes and to me doesn't feel right to describe Pidgey as just a "bird" because... in my mind that only makes me ask what bird? Its name does refer to pigeons clearly, but then Pidove already is way more serviceable as an undeniable pigeon lookalike, with the exact same eyes and little mass of cartilage on their beaks, which is also fitting as one of the common Pokémon for where the setting of Unova is meant to evoke, New York City.

This topic can probably be made into something essay-length if I went thorough into each and every faunal base covered, but I don't feel like it, but I will mention Gen 7 since that one's collection and level of zoological knowledge within the Pokémon it introduced is seriously so crammed with good animal concepts, no other generation can match. Crabrawler is a coconut crab, Cutiefly is a bee fly, Mareanie and Toxapex are amazing takes on crown-of-thorns starfish, Lurantis is an orchid mantis (BUT the Pokémon isn't actually a Bug-type, not even in the Bug Egg Group, so it's not an insect pretending to be a plant, but the opposite!!), Wimpod is a sea slater... crossed with a horseshoe crab shape-wise, Turtonator is a mata mata turtle, and however you feel about Bruxish, you'll be able to recognize it as being based off the humuhumunukunukuāpuaʻa......... or a kind of triggerfish, Hawaii's state fish

Ehh well, "bird" is very broad terming, considering how birds can take many different shapes and sizes and to me doesn't feel right to describe Pidgey as just a "bird" because... in my mind that only makes me ask what bird? Its name does refer to pigeons clearly, but then Pidove already is way more serviceable as an undeniable pigeon lookalike, with the exact same eyes and little mass of cartilage on their beaks, which is also fitting as one of the common Pokémon for where the setting of Unova is meant to evoke, New York City.

This topic can probably be made into something essay-length if I went thorough into each and every faunal base covered, but I don't feel like it, but I will mention Gen 7 since that one's collection and level of zoological knowledge within the Pokémon it introduced is seriously so crammed with good animal concepts, no other generation can match. Crabrawler is a coconut crab, Cutiefly is a bee fly, Mareanie and Toxapex are amazing takes on crown-of-thorns starfish, Lurantis is an orchid mantis (BUT the Pokémon isn't actually a Bug-type, not even in the Bug Egg Group, so it's not an insect pretending to be a plant, but the opposite!!), Wimpod is a sea slater... crossed with a horseshoe crab shape-wise, Turtonator is a mata mata turtle, and however you feel about Bruxish, you'll be able to recognize it as being based off the humuhumunukunukuāpuaʻa......... or a kind of triggerfish, Hawaii's state fish
Vaaalllid...
I just wasn't thinking about it that deeply lol

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back