OpenGL vs Software.

Oh good, the argument for the ages!
I can't decide, honestly. Both modes for me are good in a way.
But...if OpenGL is less laggy than software, I might think about using that more.

Oh good, the argument for the ages!
I can't decide, honestly. Both modes for me are good in a way.
But...if OpenGL is less laggy than software, I might think about using that more.
Way less laggy. I get around 2k fps in OpenGL, while software gets a total of 150.

OpenGL uses the system's graphics card instead of the CPU to render. Graphics cards are made to render graphics, so OpenGL is usually faster. If you have a bad graphics card but great CPU, software might be faster, but usually that's not the case. Software has more effects like water waves because SRB2 was made for software rendering (and by extension, doom) and so it implemented these things in Software. These effects could be very easy to implement in OpenGL, though. It seems like they might only do that in 2.3, because we still don't have these effects in OpenGL.

Software, it looks more colorful, water looks better and it doesn't have sprite clipping issues (also custom map palettes work on it too so that's another + ) it makes OpenGL look barebones and unfinished by comparison.

Software, it looks more colorful, water looks better and it doesn't have sprite clipping issues (also custom map palettes work on it too so that's another + ) it makes OpenGL look barebones and unfinished by comparison.
more colorful, water looks better
And that's why I like the OpenGL palette rendering fork. Too bad afaik it's not updated to 2.2.11 :(
sprite clipping issues
From my expirience, Software's clipping looks far weirder than OpenGL's.
custom map palettes
Assuming you aren't talking about custom palettes in general (they work with GL), I don't know what this is ._.

Software is still the only render engine that supports all of SRB2's graphical features. A quick rundown on the main things OpenGL does not support yet (as of 2.2.11).

-Horizon rendering for FoF sectors
-Water refraction
-Full-fledged fog rendering
-Visual Portals
-Paletted colormaps
-Culling planes
-Custom sprite clipping (as opposed to just letting the Z-buffer determine everything).

The main advantages of OpenGL is in performance, FoF/Polyobject drawing, and 3D models. If those and truecolor colormap rendering are the things you care about (and can do with some maps not rendering as well), use OpenGL. Otherwise, you might want to wait until the HWR 2 project debuts.

That is insane! I guess I should start getting used to using OGL more often, then. Haha!
Its most likely because I have a 3070 and ogl uses your GPU, while software uses the CPU, and SRB2 not being multithreaded means it can only use 1 of 8 cores on my cpu.

Both. it doesn't really matter which rendere is the best.
Post automatically merged:

Software is still the only render engine that supports all of SRB2's graphical features. A quick rundown on the main things OpenGL does not support yet (as of 2.2.11).

-Horizon rendering for FoF sectors
-Water refraction
-Full-fledged fog rendering
-Visual Portals
-Paletted colormaps
-Culling planes
-Custom sprite clipping (as opposed to just letting the Z-buffer determine everything).

The main advantages of OpenGL is in performance, FoF/Polyobject drawing, and 3D models. If those and truecolor colormap rendering are the things you care about (and can do with some maps not rendering as well), use OpenGL. Otherwise, you might want to wait until the HWR 2 project debuts.
So bascily openGL is damged for .11?

Last edited:
I use the Software renderer most of the time as I think it looks better, but I sometimes switch to OpenGL when I need to look up and down (though ideally mappers would design maps such that the player doesn't need to worry about that). I would like to see the palette shader updated to the latest version; it's not perfect but it fixes my biggest issue with OpenGL.

Both. it doesn't really matter which rendere is the best.
Post automatically merged:

So bascily openGL is damged for .11?
Not exactly, it is just OpenGL rendering was never a top priority for the devs. who have worked with the rendering code (with the exception of Hannu Hanhi, who has been on hiatus for the past year). I am not sure where Eidolon is on HW2 though.

Meanwhile, we keep seeing work on Software that is slowly chipping away at the advantages of OpenGL (with the upcoming 2.2.12 release seeing a notable performance boost).

OpenGL (for me) crashes the game on my, what, 8 year old computer? I did download the 3.0 driver from Microsoft Store, BY Microsoft.

I did download the 3.0 driver from Microsoft Store, BY Microsoft.
SRB2's OpenGL implementation actually doesn't use 3.0 to my knowledge. If memory serves, SRB2 uses a mix of OpenGL 1.1 and 2.0. It's likely your PC just doesn't support these versions.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back