One week after launch - has SRB2ME lived up to expectations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
SRB2ME has exceeded my expectations too:

The SP was quite wonderful; DSZ was nice, CEZ was good, ACZ was amazing and ERZ was just pure win.

Match and CTF had quite made a turn; it's no more "let's just shoot people no matter where they are", it's more "Use Scatter or Bounce Ring whenever you're in a little place, Bomb for Close Combat, Rail for Long one, Grenade when people are chasing you and Auto whenever you have a bunch of rings".

Tag and Hide & Seek were "simply" awesome, do I need to say more?

SpiritCrusher said:
The game is unfinished, there's a zone missing between RVZ and ERZ.

Yeah, that much I kind of figured. But for what it is though, it's pretty good. I liked it, and I'll keep an eye out for new versions and levels.

SRB2 2.0 is just plain AWESOME.

I can finally join netgames, the new single player levels kick ass (but they lag a bit sometimes), the multiplayer levels are all of high quality, the new weapon ring system is epic win,
but most of all, level editing has been greatly improved. New awesome textures, things, polyobjects, FOF types and more!

Best release EVER made.
Well done, Sonic Team Junior!

Eh, throw in a less retarded final boss and I won't really have much to complain about. Aside from getting spam-happy with death pits every now and then it's a decent game most of the way through, but multiplayer is freakin' awesome and easily makes up for the SP mode's shortcomings. Mod-ability only makes it even better.

I'll probably make a more complete review later, so consider this more of a "first impression" for now.

My Internet is unstable so:

Coop: Slow
Race: Better designed.
Match: Distracting system.
CTF: Exactly the same.
Tag: Much more fun.
Hide n Seek: Nice addition.

Sonnarkku said:
My Internet is unstable so:

Coop: Slow
Race: Better designed.
Match: Distracting system.
CTF: Exactly the same.
Tag: Much more fun.
Hide n Seek: Nice addition.
And single player?

SpiritCrusher said:
What's retarded about it? It's just hard.
Model Rip, but I don't really blame them with how long it was taking to get what there is done. It just needs to be fixed eventually.

Zanyhead said:
SpiritCrusher said:
Model Rip, but I don't really blame them with how long it was taking to get what there is done. It just needs to be fixed eventually.
Just like the old Knuckles, I think it will get done when they are NOT having a deadline to meet. But unlike the old Knuckles, it does NOT look retarded.

Seems like your opinion isn't as harsh anymore, Zanyhead...

SpiritCrusher said:
Seems like your opinion isn't as harsh anymore, Zanyhead...

Well, It took awhile, the frequency of sigsegvs and the insane amount of lag in CEZ2 were pretty unacceptable in 2.0.0, but the sigsegvs are getting fixed and CEZ is (hopefully) getting optimized.

The funny thing? I get less sigsegvs in 640x480 than I do in my laptop's only aspect correct resolution...

SpiritCrusher said:
Blacklightning said:
Eh, throw in a less retarded final boss and I won't really have much to complain about.
I'm glad you asked. I wasn't planning on posting it here, but a rant I made on another board pretty much sums it up. Big NFSW warning for excessive F-bombing, btw.

[spoiler:34b40dbbc2]So I got another shot at the final boss again. And after even more fucked up random guessing, I eventually found myself able to jump on its head, as if it were a platform. Now, okay, considering the giant bastard has a near-guaranteed instant-kill touch of death everywhere else (when you consider it's easy to fall off an edge immediately after getting hit that high up), there is nothing to indicate that the head is a weak spot or even a safe spot, and that in fact it has a giant spike on its head... WHY IN THE HOLY MOTHER OF FUCK WOULD YOU EVEN CONSIDER TRYING TO JUMP ON TOP OF IT. The fact that it can hurt you anyway if you stand there for more than a bit under a second (which is honestly harder than it sounds, given you have to right yourself to make sure you don't fall off the edge immediately after) is just rubbing salt on the wound. And need I remind anyone that there's only one ring in the whole arena, and it bounces too damn high and too close to the boss to recollect if you get hit up there.

And that's not all! God no, dear sir! I actually took it apon myself to look for a guide for the fight (and I generally don't do that unless the fight is absolutely broken or incredibly, obscurely confusing), and it turns out a later part of the fight (which I'm told, comes after jumping on its head as colourfully described above, FIVE TIMES) involves jumping on top of a rocket fired from the boss, and riding it. Okay, now let's get something straight here. A rocket is a projectile. A projectile can harm you. The game is somehow expecting you to jump onto something that can harm you for the opportunity to harm the boss Dr. Strangelove style, WHEN ANY MERE INKLING OF COMMON SENSE GATHERED FROM THE PAST 20 YEARS OF GAMING HISTORY WILL CHEERFULLY REMIND YOU THAT IT SHOULD BE THE LAST THING YOU SHOULD EVER EVER EVER DO IN THE INTERESTS OF YOUR OWN SAFETY, LET ALONE THE LACK THEREOF OF THE BOSS'S.[/spoiler:34b40dbbc2]

Long story short, you're expected to do things that would otherwise be considered completely suicidal, and yet people actually try to justify this by saying "but its in the OVA lololol". No, screw that. If the OVA didn't help me anywhere in the game previously I see no reason why it should be absolutely essential for a single boss at the end of the game.

SRB2 as a whole is a good game, but the endgame is complete ass.

If you eventually found out how to beat him, what's the problem? Of course it forces you to do unexpected things, but if you have no other chance to harm him, you will eventually try the missiles. So did I.

The whole problem of "I didn't know what to do" is caused by the fact that Brak isn't intended to be ERZ's boss in the first damned place. He's the boss for DCZ.

Except, y'know, DCZ is nowhere to be found in ME. Trust me, when DCZ is done, it'll get the player accustomed to the gimmicks that Brak uses.

MattW_CFI said:
The whole problem of "I didn't know what to do" is caused by the fact that Brak isn't intended to be ERZ's boss in the first damned place. He's the boss for DCZ.

Except, y'know, DCZ is nowhere to be found in ME. Trust me, when DCZ is done, it'll get the player accustomed to the gimmicks that Brak uses.
O_o So Brak Eggman is Doomship Zone?

I think Mystic spoke too soon when he said that Mystic Realm would be unneeded when ME came out. By Mystic's logic, we still don't have seven zones yet, and having other content to play through is always nice anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back