OLDC 2021 Round 1 Single Player Votes

NerfPlayeR135

Just call me Nerf.
Third time's a charm! Here's my votes, and as usual, I've included my feedback in plain text format. Thanks to everyone who participated!
  1. Zaxel's Thunder Yard by Zaxel (@Chaolino)
  2. Hollow Hill Zone by @Othius, @Inazuma & @Spectorious
  3. Ante-Station Zone by @Twins'R'Okay
  4. Mercury Mine Zone by @Rexeljet
  5. Ridge Rapids Zone by @particle
  6. Koopa Kastle by @glaber
  7. Drenched Dam Zone by @Voidy2246
  8. Lava Temple by @Vixuzen
  9. Falcon Emissary Zone by @InferNOr
  10. Teal Tundra Zone by @SunCyclone
  11. Fort Sunset Zone by @DylanDude
  12. Abyss Caverns Zone by @Yyeellooww7
  13. Bombastic Beach Zone by @Shapeshifter Boi
  14. Blizzard Bastion Zone by @PhilJFou /// ChaRG
  15. Music Mash Zone by @WasifBoomz
  16. Emerald Glade Zone by @DoodlesYT
NerfPlayeR135's Feedback for OLDC 2021 Round 1 - Singleplayer Bracket

{Preliminary Notes}
-I always use OpenGL for gameplay; if I saw something that could be a rendering error I momentarily switched to Software to confirm it. There was one exception this time, though.
-Normally I play as Tails, but this time I'm playing as Sonic since levels tend to be built around him.
-I always play in first-person unless something requires me to switch to third-person. For example, some of the pulleys in Arid Canyon block the player's view in first-person.
-I tend to nitpick more than I praise.
-I did not attempt to collect all emblems or perform any Record Attack runs.
-I used version 1.1 of the addon.

(16)[Emerald Glade Zone by DoodlesYT]
-This screams "test map" to me. None of the level design choices, enemy placements, and item placements make sense. In fact, it's possible to softlock yourself as anyone but Tails and Knuckles if you kill one of the Spring Shells because it's not of the golden variety that drops a spring - and that vertical boost is needed to reach one of the emerald shards.

(15)[Music Mash Zone by WasifBoomz]
-I saw Wasif's post on the OLDC thread showing his progress on this level, saying he's confident he won't get last place this time. Good news: He's most likely right, because Emerald Glade exists. Bad news: That's faint praise, because he's still got a lot to learn about level and aesthetic design. The fact that there's a seizure warning in the map header speaks volumes about how bad some of the texture choices are. The level design is better than his previous outings, but it's still questionable in many areas, and many of the attempts at map scripts are unfortunate failures. (At one point a call is made to change the music to MAP01M, which WOULD work... if this was 2.1. The names of most of the level-related music lumps were changed in 2.2 to zone abbreviations instead of map numbers; a quick look at music.dta using SLADE will give the correct names, as long as you remember to remove the O_ or D_ at the start.) Oh, and the music was probably made by Wasif himself; it's (at least partially) a remix of Toot Toot Sonic Warrior... except you really can't tell until it gets to the part where the vocals would sing "You Can Do Anything," because the sound is of such low quality.

(14)[Blizzard Bastion Zone by PhilJFou /// ChaRG]
-This level feels like it was mainly playtested with Tails (who is the easiest to play as), and little attention was given to the other characters. Case in point: You can't actually jump high enough as Sonic or Metal Sonic to get into the bastion through the gap in the portcullis; you have to do a lift jump to get in. Those monitors on the windowsills in that area? Can't reach those, either. That's not to mention the cruel enemy placement, including the odd usage of Jettisyns with one of their flags activated that only makes them chase the player if they get too close, which makes the first one instantly shoot you off the tiny platform you're on when you inevitably aggro it. (I'm not even sure if that was done on purpose or not.) The level design's not too hot either. There's an invincible turret section requiring you to jump across moving floor bars placed in a quasi-hex formation, as well as a collapsing floor trap (that doesn't actually trap you - I know it's for co-op, but still) leading to a slide with wonky wind sectors. In my opinion, one or both of these could have been cut and the level would have been better off. Oh, and the music doesn't loop properly. At least it looks fairly nice.

(13)[Bombastic Beach Zone by Shapeshifter Boi]
-I thought this level was going to be quality at first, with there being a cool "underwater dome" gimmick that's taught to the player cleverly and instantly. Then I found out that the main path through the level was a VERY badly done "dodge the moving bumpers" obstacle course (the bumpers move way too fast), and then after that the level just ends... I still think the beginning was a great way to teach the player, though, and the dome gimmick could definitely be used again.

(12)[Abyss Caverns Zone by Yyeellooww7]
-A neat aesthetic, but the level is so generous with rings and checkpoints that any difficulty it might have had may as well not exist.

(11)[Fort Sunset Zone by DylanDude]
-A unique type of level where you must collect the equivalent of 500 rings to win. The custom textures, sprites, enemies, etc. give the map a lot of charm, and the simple sound of picking up a coin is immediately satisfying. However, the map is very small, and most of the level geometry is mirrored across a horizontal axis, making it boring to keep traversing the same area over and over to keep collecting the same coins (that keep respawning) over and over.

(10)[Teal Tundra Zone by SunCyclone]
-A fairly well-designed level that could use a little more variety in just about every aspect, from enemies (and their placement) to items to level elements.

(09)[Falcon Emissary Zone by InferNOr]
-First impressions are important. When a level takes so long to load (and reload if you die) that Windows thinks SRB2 has stopped responding for a bit, that says something. The starting area told me something, too - that the enemy placement was going to be exceptionally cruel. It has an outdoor section with a 1-up that is essentially a trap, since the fan you need to use to reach it sends you way too high, and there's a Robohood, two BASHes, and a Jettisyn ready to snipe you if you so much as step out there to take a look. It just gets worse from there. From Jettisyns following you everywhere, to BASHes flying into tight spaces such as vents... Oh, and are those Bumblebores I see? Yet I don't see any Hive Elementals, so either I'm blind or the Bumblebores were placed manually as a cruel trick. It's a shame, because this level looks amazing and it's designed incredibly well, with plenty of setpieces such as the high gravity segment. Yet the technical issues and sadistic enemy placement keep it from being a home run. Oh, and the music doesn't loop properly.

(08)[Lava Temple by Vixuzen]
-This level is most likely a reference to a game I've never played, considering the custom textures and enemies. Other than that, it's a fairly fun and well-designed level. I feel it lacks some polish, though, and although the textures are of good quality, there could have been some more aesthetic touches. I thought actually being able to go through the door that opens before the floor falls out from under you, and have what's behind it be its own actual path, was an awesome idea.

(07)[Drenched Dam Zone by Voidy2246]
-An interesting, good-looking, and fairly well-designed take on a Metal Sonic race that's ultimately marred by the huge amount of invisible walls placed to railroad the player. The timer counting down to failure is a nice touch.

(06)[Koopa Kastle by Glaber]
-A Mario mode level that makes use of old Mario Koopa Blast assets, which is well within Glaber's domain as one of our community's historians. Aside from being able to cheap out the environmental hazards that aren't firebars, and the lack of aesthetic detail, it's very well designed. The ending, which is a Bowser fight that ends up being a fakeout, seguing into a Brak Eggman fight, seems much more challenging than the rest of the level, though. At least it's easier if you bring a Fire Flower. Oh, and the main level music doesn't loop properly. (What is it with people not looping their music?)

(05)[Ridge Rapids Zone by particle]
-A cheerful, grassy level that seems like it was made specifically for Knuckles, what with all the indented walls with rings laid out for him to climb. The visuals are amazing, and exploration is encouraged by allowing even Sonic to reach plenty of bonus point, ring, and 1-up monitors. And then there's a difficulty spike at the end; I died multiple times from missing the waterfall jump, and once to getting stuck in the respawning Force Shield monitor (why is that even there?) and accidentally thokking out of it into a pit.

(04)[Mercury Mine Zone by Rexeljet]
-A well-designed level that focuses on the titular liquid, which doesn't kill you - at least, not right away. Instead, it drains your rings, one per second, as long as you're touching it. It's a gimmick that's been done before (I still hate that one level in SUGOI that had ring drain water), but here it's only used as a penalty for failing an obstacle. The custom textures help make this level stand out, although the wide-open spaces with little in them leave a bit to be desired.

(03)[Ante-Station Zone by Twins'R'Okay]
-EXTRA PRELIMINARY NOTE: I was given information before the contest submission time ran out that this level uses visual portals, which only work in Software mode. As such, I will make sure to evaluate the level's visuals based on its appearance in the Software renderer.
-This level is exclusively in 2D mode, and uses all sorts of tricks involving teleports, 2D tracks, gravity, and visual portals to "defy Euclidean physics." And it does that job astoundingly well, while having some great level design and an aesthetic likely not seen anywhere else. Unfortunately you can only get the full effect in Software mode, which has stability issues and rendering oddities that are all amplified here. Yet the novelty of it all still makes this rough diamond shine. Also, the last section with the diagonal camera was a bit glitchy for me, as the camera kept moving slightly as I moved forward, only to snap back to its original position; this may be because my camera settings aren't the defaults, though.

(02)[Hollow Hill Zone by Othius, Inazuma, & Spectorious]
-Othius, you and your crew have done it again. This is another finely-crafted masterpiece that oozes quality. The appearance, level design, enemy placement - all of it deserves a chef's kiss. The only issue I found is an error with one of the textures in OpenGL; of course, when I switched renderers to confirm the error was OpenGL-exclusive, I realized the map looked even better in Software. I also think that using the "emblem get" sound for buttons might confuse players into thinking they actually got an emblem. I'd give this 1st place... but I think someone different deserves the title of Contest Winner this time.

(01)[Zaxel's Thunder Yard by Zaxel/Chaolino]
-This latest entry in Zaxel's line of marathon-length levels is so long, it gives you an optional signpost halfway through! No, wait, it's a troll... and I fell for it. Literally. (I actually found that pretty funny.) The Thunder Yard takes the concept of electricity in classic Sonic to its absolute limit - the only non-Pity shields available are Lightning and Attraction, and electric hazards are everywhere... as are rings. There's so many rings that there's a bonus door at the end of the level that will only open if you have a thousand of them, encouraging a repeat playthrough. And, to throw in a unique twist, there are bombs that the electric shields will suck in like rings, forcing you to stay far away from them if you want to keep your shield. I absolutely love all of this. The level looks and plays incredibly well, and the cool custom enemies used in Hakuryu Dojo return, too. There's even a secret Zelda reference! I only have two complaints: the new electric jellyfish enemies are kind of pointless, since they'll only attack if you attack them, and after that you'll just leave them alone because they take five hits and home in on you; and putting pop-up turrets on the ceiling where you can't kill them is a bit cruel.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back