Okami

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yugi2

I loved the game. I know it's basically a Zelda clone, but I still like the game. The battle system was good and original, many of the Sacred Brush techniques were useful despite the fact most of them were clones, and the soundtrack made me piss myself in pure joy. It is easily one of my favorite PS2 and Wii games.

Opinions on the game?

When I first started the game, I proceeded to listen to the really long intro in front of my entire family. (none of them were paying attention I assume, and if they were, they probably were too bored to continue) Simply because of the game's Oriental nature, I waited until I had the Wii moved back to my room so I was more comfortable playing it. Though it took me a while to warm up to the premise, there were certain things I still felt awkward about. (Rau, and the bit where you have to sneak up on the bathing lady)

However, once I got used to the premise, I was quite fascinated by it all; while I'm quite familiar with Greek and Western myths/legends, I know nothing about the Eastern lore. I ended up looking up more about some of the characters/creatures out of pure curiousity. One of the things that really stood out to me was the music that played prior to each "final" boss confrontation. Generally in those "hurry" events, you can take your time, but when that music played, I couldn't bring myself to stand still.

The battles were a little bit annoying though, because you had to enter a demon gate or run into a demon scroll in order to find them... Though the battles themselves were quite enjoyable, so long as I made sure not to learn dodge. The bosses were all quite outstanding although Orochi disappointed me a bit...
[spoiler:cfaf421513](Until I realized that the game had barely begun at this point)[/spoiler:cfaf421513]

--

Above everything else though, the game was unique in the way you use the celestial brush techniques. Even though most of them were pretty basic and the Wiimote was sometimes too sensitive for its own good, it made for a very interesting device. [spoiler:cfaf421513](especially considering one boss uses the same techniques against you)[/spoiler:cfaf421513]
The use of faith as EXP proved to be very interesting. You were in a world where very few people recognized the existence of gods and yet was constantly haunted by demons. Certain quests would restore their faith and you'd use that faith to get upgrades. While simply an interesting nickname for exp early on, it later worked as a story device though I would not care to give away how...

The ending was very memorable and very moving. It took me quite by surprise and it meant very much to me personally, aside from being an outstanding cinematic/ingame event.

It is an action/adventure game similar to "Legend of Zelda" where you play as the goddess Amatseru in the form of a wolf and complete quests and dispel the curse from the lands. You get to use your Wii-remote as a brush to do certain actions such as chopping things up, setting things on fire, slinging yourself from vine to vine, or just to control the wind and other such things by painting strokes and circles on the screen. It is mostly intuitive, but is slightly too sensitive and whenever the nunchuk is used (just for the dodging afaik), its completely off.

Overall, its a great game, and its steeped in Japanese lore, which doesn't usually get much attention around here outside of RPGs. Most notably, the art style is distinctive because everything looks like it was drawn with a brush, and it all animates fluidly.

My sister has the PS2 version of the game. I already beat it twice. I have almost all the secrets but I won't reveal what they are.

Jacy said:
My sister has the PS2 version of the game. I already beat it twice. I have almost all the secrets but I won't reveal what they are.
i.e. The item you get from the King for a certain number of Demon Fangs that allows you to walk on water without you having to constantly use the Lilypad technique?

That is one of them... there are a lot more secrets though. One of them is a selectable item that makes Amaterasu look realstic. It is cool.

Jacy said:
That is one of them... there are a lot more secrets though. One of them is a selectable item that makes Amaterasu look realstic. It is cool.
Ah, all the Karmic Transformers.

I played it a bit but I never got around to finishing it because Brawl came out. :x

Afterward, I just started letting my wii die, so I guess it'd be a good time to respark the feeling by finishing the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back