In charge of way less than you might think
Sonic Team Junior
SONIC ROBO BLAST 2 OFFICIAL LEVEL DESIGN COLLAB
Basically, if you want to get into level designing, if you're already an experienced designer, or if you're somewhere in between, join the collab! Show your work, get some eyes on it, let people give you ideas and feedback, and become a Collaborator!
Please read over all the rules carefully, even if you were around before the transition from contests to collabs. Some rules have been changed, mostly for more leniency, and you may be happy to see some of the changes, especially if you're a fan of creating custom content!
- Single Player
- Capture the Flag
- To qualify for submission, you must be a member of the SRB2 Discord server, and you must have a valid (not banned) SRB2MB account.
- OLDC packs will be labeled as okay for others to port and maintain, but not okay for others to make major modifications. If you do not want others to port or maintain your levels after the OLDC pack is released, please refrain from submitting.
- Make sure that the level works properly, that it is normally accessible, and that it does not interfere with other levels. This means that:
- Your level must have been created for the current major version of SRB2. If the current version is V2.2.X, then levels for V2.1.X and earlier will not be accepted.
- Single Player levels need to be completable. We recommend you use MAP01 so that your level is easily accessible, but be prepared to move your map to a different slot later if accepted.
- Multiplayer levels need to have enough player starts, and need to be accessible via level select.
- Existing resources (textures, objects, sounds, music, etc.) can not be overwritten.
- Any scripts present in your level must not interfere with other levels. If your level contains significant gameplay changes, please ensure that they are contained solely within your level slot using a MapLoad hook. Click here to see how to do this.
- Your levels may not cause crashes under any circumstances. Ensure your level is stable and looks (mostly) correct in both software and OpenGL render modes.
- Previously released levels are not allowed. Private testing is allowed (and highly encouraged within the Discord channel), but the level must not have been released on the SRB2MB or other public spaces.
- Ports and edits of existing levels are not allowed. However, you may submit remade versions of older levels you made, though they must be sufficiently different from your original work.
- You may submit multiple levels to any category, but please focus your effort on a small handful of total levels. You'll be able to make much better levels if you don't spread yourself too thin!
- Custom assets and scripts are allowed! All custom assets and scripts must follow message board rules. Custom sounds must be in OGG format (quality level 0), and custom music must be in OGG 0, IT, MOD, S3M, or XM format. Click here to read a tutorial on music looping that includes how to export in OGG 0 using Audacity. It's slightly outdated, but it should still be helpful.
- Keep accessibility in mind when creating your submissions. Entries containing excessive flashing lights or other content that could cause problems for players with epilepsy or related conditions will not be accepted.
- Cutscenes are allowed, but they must focus mainly on story or background for the level. Warnings, credits, or reminders to give feedback may be included in the form of a custom texture or in-level script the player can activate.
Entries are due twice per year, at 23:59 UTC (18:59 EST). The deadlines are as follows:
- OLDC Round 1: May 1st
- OLDC Round 2: November 1st
Once the collab pack is released:
- You will be given the Collaborator role on our Discord server, as well as the Collaborator banner here on the SRB2MB, until the release of the next collab pack. This lets everyone know you made a map that's in the latest pack.
- You will be awarded a ribbon in the form of a badge on the SRB2MB. Ribbons are a permanent way that you can commemorate your participation! You can choose which ones you want to show off on your profile.
Now get out there and get mapping! Don't be afraid to show off your progress. Good luck and have fun!