Objectplace is taking my head off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueZero4

(not a palindrome)
"Give the egg capsule on mare 0 a ring requirement."

I'm sure you guys know that the recent upping of the NiGHTS tutorial has sparked some intrest. I started working, and got a fairly small level done. It had the Axis stuff, egg capsule, and Super Sonic start. Heck, it even has NiGHTS mode on. So all that's left is the hoops, rings and things, right?

Wrong. Objectplace isn't cooperating. I keep getting an error (the above) whenever I try to drop anything. So, uh, I think I'm doing something wrong. Moving on, I pop open Digiku's Botanic Serenity.
Code:
>Objectplace 1
Warning: Game must be reset to record statistics.
So, uh..... *punches ringsling* Error. Moving on to Spring Hill.... *tries again* No dice. I'm starting to think one of two things:

• 1. The game has a flaw in its NiGHTS objectplace.
    2. I'm doing something wrong.

Any thoughts? But please, useless "I don't know either" lines don't help.

Edit: Also, this is using the special NiGHTS objectplace, not anything else.

I just tend to avoid using OBJECTPLACE to add any objects into the level, period. SRB2Builder lets me specify a Z-offset, then preview its position in 3D space.

Also, showing object radius can help position axis transfers, I hear.

Sure, but NiGHTS levels that look a little like this *click* need it badly.

Also, nobody has actually written out the quirks for all these thing items. Like exactly what angle does for the hoops.

SSN, could you update the specials refrence document accordingly?

Actually, I can imagine Digiku had a fine time once he figured out the quirks to all the items.

Again, the special refrence document utterly phails about NiGHTS.

After toying around with the items manually, it appears objectplace was not needed. Wing logos are positioned like rings; circles of items are positioned with their thing item in the middle of the circle, with the angle indicating which 2 dimensional plane the objects are located on. All the paraloop items are placed like the wings, though I'm not sure if angle has anything to do with the potency.

So all that's left is the hoop.

Well, my experimentation has revealed that angle determines which direction the hoop opens, while always facing west. So that means that bitsets would set the horizontal direction, right? Wrong. It turns out that they height offset like most everything else. So let's look at Spring Hill.

*mind blows*

Wow. The angle values of the sampled hoop in Spring Hill has a negative value, and looks like it could be divided evenly by some multiple of 32. So, I'm concluding that the angle value represents two values combined to indicate both horizontal facing direction and which way they open vertically.

Now, does anyone know which values I would combine and how I would combine them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Back