Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeldaGamer00

That guy who does things
Source
Error code
MarioKartWii.com said:
Update

Wiibrew.org declares that HBC has no role in banning hackers. If this is true, then the only thing Nintendo is doing is checking WWs for suspecious activity. I now ask 2 questions:
1. Nintendo, can you really pull out hacking as discrete as a slightly modified top speed? What about terrain flag hacks some of us can do, which can give us guranteed wins, while NOTHING suspecious will show up on the servers?
2. Does this mean the end for 4TL hackers, while people can STILL hack in clan wars/private rooms?

Yesterday, hackers of various Nintendo Wi-Fi capable games are confronted by the first action taken against them from Nintendo. This includes the temporary banning of numorous hackers from entering Nintendo WFC, and are presented with the EC 20102, then kicked off from WFC. I will not go into detail about it here, you can find additional information on other threads on this forum.

Hackers on this forum, such as Mr. Bean, myself and countless others, have spent some time investigating the bug that prevents us from entering WFC. We came up with the most accurate and appropriate description based on the cases, and they will be explained in more detail below.

What Nintendo Does

Nintendo WFC now monitors suspecious activity in all Wii online games that are active on their servers. They will now periodically scan for users with the Homebrew Channel(HBC) on their systems. For those of you who don't know what HBC is, it is an application for Wii users to launch homebrew, including software that are used in hacking Wii games.

Nintendo scans the system's hard drive for a specific file. This file is known as the HAXX Ticket or the HBC Ticket. This ticket is present in all systems with the Homebrew Channel installed. Since most hackers use HBC to hack their games, Nintendo believes that it is an effective way to search out hackers, who will have the HAXX Ticket on their Wii system.

Nintendo then flags the MAC Address (Wii ID) of the system tested positive for the HAXX Ticket. This means that this system will not be able to log on to WFC for a certain period of time that Nintendo sets. This also means all games and FCs related to this Wii ID will be banned. So that includes the banning of ALL your MKWii licenses, your SSBB account, your CoD:WaW profile, your ACCF records and all other WFC IDs you may have.
Edit: Changed the topic title from "Nintendo gives the Homebrew channel users error code 20102" to "Nintendo gives Wi-Fi hackers error code 20102" Due to some new info.

*whistles*
Who would go so low as to cheat in Mario Kart, if you suck... you suck. Really, that's the physics in game.

I find it funny that this topic was created shortly after I posted a link to this on IRC.

Also refering to Tets on this statement;
Tets said:
Holy shit, Nintendo actually cares about online?

Not surprising to know the hackers bypassed the problem. This wouldn't be bad news for me if I did hack the Wii, because I don't really go on WiFi much anyway.

I'm sure Nintendo can't scan systems that it can't access, so from an educated guess, you should probably be able to avoid most risk of using HBC if you just make sure your Wii can't connect to the internet, correct? On the other hand, what if the Wii has some sort of internet cache that's recorded online for Nintendo to look at...?

Just speculation, I don't really know much about how this whole thing works.

About damn time this happens. Now they need to do something with some of the online DS games. Problem is getting the ID for the DS' unless that is possible.

Hyperknux said:
About damn time this happens. Now they need to do something with some of the online DS games. Problem is getting the ID for the DS' unless that is possible.
Every DS has a MAC address. Otherwise, they could just ban by IP or friend code.

Darn it, I was just about to install Homebrew too. I can see why they would do it for cheating, but offline stuff, they shouldn't.

Wow, that's not really fair. I use the homebrew channel but not for cheating in games but I'm still going to be blocked from WFC? I didn't do anything wrong!

I call Equus caballus feces on this rumor, see http://hackmii.com/2009/03/nintendo-wfc-ban-rumors/
[html:2164539dac]
correlation.png
[/html:2164539dac]

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/wfc/en_na/ds/results.jsp?error_code=20102&system=Wii&locale=en_US said:
Error Code: 20102

This error code indicates some type of unauthorized activity has occured in an online feature of a Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection game.
This tells me that they ban you if you're hacking in Mario Kart and the like, not if you have HBC.

I don't get the point of homebrew on your Wii anyway. Why not just create/download games for the PC and use Bluetooth to connect a Wii Remote? Seems like a more logical solution than trying to get user software running on a closed platform.

I might as well post something from the other thread
http://www.mariokartwii.com/f7/solu...e-20102-hackers-ban-40450-21.html#post1330923
Sniglet said:
ffdgh
if your not banned, just simply take the hbc off ur wii

no ticket= not being found
Oh yeah, you can still keep the HBC channel and play online. Removing the HAXX ticket does work, but its not how nintendo is tracking down hackers. How do i know? Because i asked nintendo, they don't care (well they do) that you hack offline, they are ONLY concerned with online hacking.

Here is a quote directly from homebrew's website referring to this exact thread we are posting in:

22 March 09: Some Mario Kart Wii players claim that Nintendo is banning users with The Homebrew Channel installed from Nintendo WiFi Connection. There are as of yet no reports of this occuring to anyone who has not used cheats

Here's the link - Main Page - WiiBrew
And the update in the first post
Wiibrew.org declares that HBC has no role in banning hackers. If this is true, then the only thing Nintendo is doing is checking WWs for suspecious activity. I now ask 2 questions:

1. Nintendo, can you really pull out hacking as discrete as a slightly modified top speed? What about terrain flag hacks some of us can do, which can give us guranteed wins, while NOTHING suspecious will show up on the servers?
2. Does this mean the end for 4TL hackers, while people can STILL hack in clan wars/private rooms?

FoxBlitzz said:
I don't get the point of homebrew on your Wii anyway. Why not just create/download games for the PC and use Bluetooth to connect a Wii Remote? Seems like a more logical solution than trying to get user software running on a closed platform.
Most people do it for piracy. Others just simply think it looks cooler, or to have your program anywhere you go. You can't carry your Desktop PC everywhere, but you can bring your Wii around with you, like hotels.

Well, damn. I just installed the HBC. Hopefully it'd only if you cheat online, as that's something I wouldn' t ever really do.

Chaos Zero 64 said:
FoxBlitzz said:
Most people do it for piracy. Others just simply think it looks cooler, or to have your program anywhere you go. You can't carry your Desktop PC everywhere, but you can bring your Wii around with you, like hotels.
Exactly. Now I can play emulators in my bedroom when my mum and sister are using the computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back