Nintendo DS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got my DS today. No real game though just the demo of course. The graphics are nice like a small N64. No lags and junk. Its ok. I had to trade my GB SP to my uncle for it though but its worth it. I'll buy another one when I feel like it.

Yeah, sure, if losing the ability to play GBA games with multiplayer and GBC and GB games PERIOD is "worth it" to you, then all the more power to you.

I, on the other hand, am keeping a firm grasp of my GBA when I get a DS. Or at least use my GBP more often.

What, they dropped support for GBC and GB games but continued to support GBA games? That's pretty damn stupid. Any technical reason whatsoever?

In a way: "the Nintendo DS is not a new Game Boy so we're shunning the Game Boy's old processors and stuff."

Otherwise, just laziness as far as I'm concerned.

The way the GBA actually does it's backwards compatibility is by actually including a Game Boy Color processor inside the system. If you press down the switch in the cartridge slot and turn the system on, you can see it work. It will boot in Game Boy Color mode instead of Game Boy Advance. It's just done by the different cartridges, nothing more. So basically, if they wanted to support all the way back to the original Game Boy, they would have to put the Game Boy Advance and Game Boy Color processors into the system, and I assume they decided it wasn't worth the effort.

The DS is not truly backwards compatible at all, as it doesn't do GBA multiplayer either, because of a lack of a link cable port. It also doesn't support the original 8-bit Game Boy at all. It just has a GBA cartridge slot to give it basic backwards functionality, it's not supposed to replace the GBA. I've always been surprised about people whining about this, as the fact that the Game Boy is backwards compatible has always been one of the more interesting features, because Nintendo went above and beyond to make sure that it did. I was actually quite surprised they went to the lengths they did with the DS, probably just because at this point basic backwards compatibility with Nintendo's products is taken for granted. Maybe they can use the GBA slot for something cool like making a memory card in that slot, since apparently the DS games can see the GBA slot.

Let's just hope the next-gen Game Boy they've been promising does indeed have backwards compatibility all the way back to the late 80s. =P

Yes, it well and truly sucks.

Anyway, I think one of the possible major reasons they kept GBA compatibility at all is to make memory cards. Seriously, a gigabit isn't going to hold all those large, large RPGs companies love so much, which used CDs that hold a heckuva lot more than 128 megs. Since FtM has proven the DS can read GBA games while running DS games, it makes sense that these multi-card games could have access to saves on a seperate GBA cart while they go on their merry way, therefore eliminating any problems carrying saves from one cart over to another. (Of course, if the cart is in on its own or in a GBA/GBP, then you get the traditional menu that lets you organize your saves.)

Of course, while I think this is a GREAT idea (I mean, who doesn't want RPGs of FFVII and PDS calibur on a Nintendo portable?), I know Nintendo's not going to go for it, causing companies to opt for the PSP and all its shortcomings in favor of having space to do things.

EDIT: Figures that Mystic says the same kind of idea while I'm posting. :P

Shadow Hog said:
Yeah, sure, if losing the ability to play GBA games with multiplayer and GBC and GB games PERIOD is "worth it" to you, then all the more power to you.

I still have the non-sp GB so it really doesnt matter. The reason theres no multiplayer on GB games and non-color GB games are the things I both didnt know and didnt like. But looking at the 3D games makes you forget about everything. hehe just kiddin. Besides im still going to buy the SP again, so i dont care.

i think mini cds are for the psp...

anyway, the ds is not supposed to replace the gameeboy in any way. its competing with it to see the technology we have for today. if it were part of the gameboy series, it would be called: Gameboy DS

True information from nintendo(i wonder how nintendo got its name :? )

I dunno... But I think there might be a clue in that Nintendo started out as a trading card company... Not sure though.
I believe that's where the E-reader card idea came from...

Laptops aren't really 'Hand-held'. They're more relative to 'Arm-held' or 'backpack-held'... or 'hey-can-you-hold-this-for-me?-held'. :P Depends, really.
Now, Pocket PCs however, fit the description well... I think. They take CD's, don't they? :|
Anyway, I'm thinking he means game systems.

I think you wouldn't be able to play for along time like on the DS. But you do have more memory, but you might brake the...uh...ummm..CD holder thing, the drive. Then you can't see a hole movie on the psp. Pluse its going to be $$$ if you know what I'm saying.

Zash said:
(i wonder how nintendo got its name :? )

Apparently, the word Nintendo means "Leave thy destiny in the hands of the sky". Also, the word Sega means "wanker" in Italian. O.O

Behold my brain full of squishy thought-like things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back